Which Diamond Should I Buy??

mattrdrs

I am having a diffiicult time deciding between two diamonds. They are both the Peerless diamond from Jareds. The Peerless is an ideal cut graded by AGA. I know I should but dont have all the information to post on here but any advice would be great! Here are the two Peerless diamonds I am comparing. Both look very nice!

Peerless

1.51 C

Ideal Cut

H - Color

SI2 - Clarity

$10,700

Peerless

1.24 C

Ideal Cut

H -Color

SI1 - Clarity

$9,300

The SI1 is completely eye clean and the SI2 has a thin feather that is in th middle towards the top of the diamond. It can only be seen in certain lighting and certain angles. There is also a 1.25 that is SI1 and F in color. It is in between in pricing. Which of the two would you go with and what do you think about moving up to an F color SI1? THANKS!!

Hi...

I would be happy to share my opinion, but I would really need to see more information...especially cut information such as Table, Depth, Crown Angle, Pavilion Ange, and Lower Girdle Facet Length (if you have it).

One thing that would bother me a bit...

For about $500 less you could get a 1.5ish H SI2, AGS Ideal Cut, and for about $2000 less you could get a 1.2ish H SI1 AGS Ideal Cut. I looked up some stones with my suppliers for comparison for you, and that is about the difference I was seeing. Seems to me you could get more for your money online, espcially if you are looking at a diamond under 1.5, you could put some of that extra money into color, and get a whiter diamond. Just my personal thoughts.

If you would like to post cut info, I would be happy to give an opinon.

All the best...

Tim A

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

I suspect both stones are lovely. AGS Ideal is a good standard to be using. Much of the price differential you are seeing is based on size, not clarity. 1.50cts+ will trade at a premium over otherwise similar stones below 1.50cts. even from the same dealer. Frankly, I"m surprised that the big one isn't more expensive.

F/SI1? Possibly, but it will depend on the stone, your taste, and your budget. It’s either going to cost more or be smaller than what you’ve posted.

A $500 premium on a $10,000 stone in order to get it from a B&M store with a showroom in your neighborhood that has a large national company behind it strikes me as pretty reasonable but I agree you may be able to find slightly better prices from the bare bones type dealers.

Neil

What do you think about the SI2 rating from AGS? Should it bother me being further down on the scale or is is something that shouldnt matter since it is an ideal cut? Is it worth going down in size to step up to SI1? Another question I have is will the feather that is barely noticable get more noticable in time?

I suspect both stones are lovely. AGS Ideal is a good standard to be using. Much of the price differential you are seeing is based on size, not clarity. 1.50cts+ will trade at a premium over otherwise similar stones below 1.50cts. even from the same dealer. Frankly, I"m surprised that the big one isn't more expensive.

F/SI1? Possibly, but it will depend on the stone, your taste, and your budget. It’s either going to cost more or be smaller than what you’ve posted.

A $500 premium on a $10,000 stone in order to get it from a B&M store with a showroom in your neighborhood that has a large national company behind it strikes me as pretty reasonable but I agree you may be able to find slightly better prices from the bare bones type dealers.

Neil

What do you think about the SI2 rating from AGS? Should it bother me being further down on the scale or is is something that shouldnt matter since it is an ideal cut? Is it worth going down in size to step up to SI1? Another question I have is will the feather that is barely noticable get more noticable in time?

My wife wears a J/SI2 in her engagement ring. 18 years later it still seems to be working ok.

With a correctly graded SI2 (which is a good bet with AGS paper), it is unusual but not impossible to have an inclusion that’s eye visible under close inspection. For many people this is treading dangerously close to the line of what is acceptable and what isn’t but it works just fine for me. When I bought that I owned a jewelry store and was pretty price sensitive and wanted a decent size (owning a jewelry store isn’t nearly as lucrative as most people assume). Since then my budgets have improved. I’m obviously pretty well connected in the industry and my wife has had plenty of opportunity to upgrade if she felt like it. It’s never been a problem for her. I can’t really address whether it will be a problem for you or not.

Feathers do not grow over time. They are something that's been in the stone since God made it and if it survived through the cutting process, you can reasonably expect it to be stable for a lifetime and beyond. They do tend to become more noticable when the stone is dirty and under bright lights. If it's something that already bugs you you're more likely to zoom in on it when you see it because that's just the nature of how people perceive things. Again, it's up to you to decide if this is going to be an issue. The usual reason to go SI2 is for the lower prices and the tradeoff is in these sorts of topics.

Neil

I'm missing something. In the original post it said the stones were graded by AGA not AGS. Was that a typo?

I also have to agree with Tim, you can definitely do better online.

I know we have an AGS ideal cut hearts and arrows 1.50 ct. SI2 H available for $1000 less than the one posted above.

Also a 1.30 ct. SI1 H AGS ideal hearts and arrows for $8950.

Edited by jan