Culets And Gia Comments

madhatter160

Hello Everyone!

Like a lot of people who make their way to this forum, I have been searching inventories of diamonds online for some time looking for just the right stone. I found one that appears to be a solid choice given its price, except for two details:

1) It has a "very small" culet. I have noticed that most round brilliant diamonds have no culet. How important is it to have no culet? What is a "very small" culet going to do to the diamond's sparkle?

2) The comments of the GIA report say "Additional clouds are not shown". There are other imperfections listed on the report's plot, but it is really hard to tell what exactly the imperfections are by only looking at the online scans of the reports. Should I be concerned about this? Given that its clarity is VS2, it should be at least "eye clean", right?

I have seen its GIA report and here are the specs:

Shape and cutting style: Round brilliant

Measurements: 6.39x6.41x4.03

Carat Wt: 1.01

Cut: Excellent

Color: F

Clarity: VS2

Polish: Very good

Symmetry: Very good

Culet: Very small

Girdle: Medium - slightly thick

Flourescence: None

Depth %: 63.0

Table %: 56.0

The price of this diamond is several hundred dollars (8-9%) below what other diamonds with the same 4C specs are priced at on this particular online retailer. This fact makes me a bit uneasy, hence the questions.

Thanks!!

Hello Everyone!

Like a lot of people who make their way to this forum, I have been searching inventories of diamonds online for some time looking for just the right stone. I found one that appears to be a solid choice given its price, except for two details:

1) It has a "very small" culet. I have noticed that most round brilliant diamonds have no culet. How important is it to have no culet? What is a "very small" culet going to do to the diamond's sparkle?

2) The comments of the GIA report say "Additional clouds are not shown". There are other imperfections listed on the report's plot, but it is really hard to tell what exactly the imperfections are by only looking at the online scans of the reports. Should I be concerned about this? Given that its clarity is VS2, it should be at least "eye clean", right?

I have seen its GIA report and here are the specs:

Shape and cutting style: Round brilliant

Measurements: 6.39x6.41x4.03

Carat Wt: 1.01

Cut: Excellent

Color: F

Clarity: VS2

Polish: Very good

Symmetry: Very good

Culet: Very small

Girdle: Medium - slightly thick

Flourescence: None

Depth %: 63.0

Table %: 56.0

The price of this diamond is several hundred dollars (8-9%) below what other diamonds with the same 4C specs are priced at on this particular online retailer. This fact makes me a bit uneasy, hence the questions.

Thanks!!

One of the reasons it's running less is the depth. It has some fat on the diamond as it will look a little more like a .90 ct. range. It also has a 41.6 degree pavilion angle which won't give it the best light performance.

There are quite a few other stones out there that run less that are better make. Not all of the diamonds that are available are listed on the drop ship sites.

Edited by jan

Hi Madhatter...

I agree with Jan...this is not a great diamond...and you can do better.

To answer your questions specifically...

1. A very small culet is not going to have any impact on the visual sparkle and beauty of a diamond, in fact, you won't even be able to see it with the naked eye. This is not a concern. Only when culets are bigger do you have something that can visually alter the stone.

2. As for the clarity comments...it is important to remember that clarity is graded at 10x magnification, so if there are clarity attributes that are not visible at 10x, they can be noted in the Comments, but will not be graphed on the GIA Report, or figured into the clarity grade. A properly graded VS2 should most certainly be eye clean.

Hope this helps...

All the best with your search!

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

Thank you everyone for your answers and comments.

I realize that it is best to see before you buy. A lot of online retailers have evaluation periods that I will take advantage of. However, I am trying to narrow down my choices by using the numbers off the GIA reports.

Jan - You mentioned that the diamond has too much "fat" and that the pavilion angle off. From taking another look at the proportion tables for a round brilliant on this site (found here: http://www.diamond.info/diamonds/diamonds_4cs_cut5.shtml), it appears that the diamond in my original post had too much of it concentrated in the pavilion (it is hard to describe, but I can picture the geometry in my head). What is a good pavilion angle to shoot for?

Tim - Thank you for the answers. That the clouds can be seen at >10x magnification makes sense.

David - A good thing to keep in mind, thank you.

I am trying to narrow down my choices so that I don't have to have a bunch shipped to me. So, if I follow the proportion guidelines on this site, which I linked to above, am I generally going to be OK? I'd rather not waste my time with diamonds that are obviously subpar.

Thanks!!

On the pavilion angles we generally try to stay between 40.6-41. Are there exceptions to the rules, yes there are. There are 57 facets on a round brilliant cut diamond, and going by just a few numbers won't tell you how all the facets are working together to make a bright beautiful stone. If it were only that easy to go by a couple of numbers to get a bright stone. :D Some stones even have the same numbers however perform quite differently. After we look for the initial numbers then we test the stones on 2 different devices to sort through the best of the best.

We use the Isee2 technology which tells us how much white light, colored light and contrast as well as symmetry come from the stone. This machine gives a numerical score between 0- 9.8. Stones in the 9 and higher have a visible brightness difference from lower graded diamonds. This uses a diffused lighting.

We also use the Gem Ex brilliancescope which will tell us how much white light, colored light and scintillation is coming from the stone using a direct lighting. The scores range from low- very high. Of course stones that get 3 very highs are amazing in light performance. Also you can have beautiful stones with combinations of high and very high on the light performance.

If you work with a professional that is working for you, you can save lots of time and shipping returning stones etc.

If you need any help, feel free to contact me.

Edited by jan