Feather

bryanb

Hi Bryanb...

I had a look at both pictures that you posted....perhaps I am missing something, but I did not see a feather in either picture. They were a bid grainy on my computer. I did see the line across the middle of the pavilion of the diamond...I don't know if that is what you are referring to. That is simply a reflection of the girdle in the pavilion.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

this is , as per my GIA report, a 1 carat, G color, ideal cut, SI1 diamond. what are your thoughts on the attached picture showing a feather? post-116596-1223431081_thumb.jpg

I don't understand your question. I'll take your word for it about the grading although I would point out that 'ideal' is not a term that GIA uses on their reports and I would therefore question that it's a genuine GIA document but even this may not have anything to do with your question. Can you rephrase it please?

Neil

I don't understand your question. I'll take your word for it about the grading although I would point out that 'ideal' is not a term that GIA uses on their reports and I would therefore question that it's a genuine GIA document but even this may not have anything to do with your question. Can you rephrase it please?

Neil

thanks for the response.

i have the report in my hand. it says.. cut grade "excellent". i was working from memory when i posted last night, apparently i mixed up the adjectives. it only came with a diamond dossier, not one of those other reports where they map the inclusions. i purchased this from blue nile, and they told me that it was "eye clean", which i realize means that it is clean when looking at it from the top down (which it is). the GIA report's clarity characteristics says "feather". when i looked at the ring i noticed that horizontal line. since i am by no means an expert on these things i was concerned. when i look at it closely, the line seems to disappear when i twist the ring (vertically). when i tip the diamond over, the line disappears, and it becomes completely invisible. i cannot see any inclusions contacting the sides of the pavilion. i cannot determine, with the unaided eye, if this is a feather that is being reflected over and over again inside the pavilion, or if it is simply, as the previous poster stated, a reflection of the girdle. since i have not seen very many of these rings, i dont know if this is typical or not. any insight is greatly appreciated. i'm sorry about the grainy picture, but getting a picture of something that is so small is quite difficult, even with a very nice digital slr camera.

Edited by bryanb

If you’re concerned about the grading, hire an independent expert who can actually look at the stone and give you an informed opinion based on actual observation. Free Internet advice from strangers based on grainy photographs is not a reasonable approach.

The line you see from the side going horizontally across the middle of the pavilion in the photographs is a reflection of the girdle and your description of how it changes when you move the stone supports this idea. Every standard type diamond cut that has a pavilion will have this. It’s nothing to worry about.

Neil

By the way, if it's a relatively recent report, after about 2005 or so, you can 'upgrade' from a dossier to a diamond quality report for a relatively small fee and without needing to send in the stone for a new inspection. This will get you the plotting diagram if you want to look at it.

Neil

By the way, if it's a relatively recent report, after about 2005 or so, you can 'upgrade' from a dossier to a diamond quality report for a relatively small fee and without needing to send in the stone for a new inspection. This will get you the plotting diagram if you want to look at it.

Neil

thank you very much for the help. the grading report is less than 2 months old. how could i go about upgrading the report? would i contact GIA directly? i have tried to find an independent appraiser locally, however i have had no luck. i live in the pittsburgh area, do you have any suggestions?

To upgrade the report, call GIA directly. There's also information about it at www.gia.edu.

I don't know that part of the country very well so I'm not sure who would both qualified and nearby. Often it's easier to FedEx it somewhere (like Colorado for example. :D )

Some good places to look for an appraiser are:

www.appraisers.org

www.najaappraisers.com

www.americangemsociety.org

www.americangemregistry.com

Neil

To upgrade the report, call GIA directly. There's also information about it at www.gia.edu.

I don't know that part of the country very well so I'm not sure who would both qualified and nearby. Often it's easier to FedEx it somewhere (like Colorado for example. :D )

Some good places to look for an appraiser are:

www.appraisers.org

www.najaappraisers.com

www.americangemsociety.org

www.americangemregistry.com

Neil

thanks so much for the help!

you wont be in southern utah or vegas next week by any chance would ya?