Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
Matt R.

Shoppin For A Ring...some Questions

I won't have access to a scanner the next couple days...can I answer any questions?

Hi Matt,

In order for me to evaluate on which diamond is the better one in my opinion the certs are important. If you don’t have a scanner to scan the certs that’s okay. All we need is the GIA Report number of each diamond and its carat weight and I can look them up at http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

Good luck and we are always here to help you

report numbers 16927514 (1.04c) and 1106025457(1.07 c - my fav)

Edited by Matt R.

I won't have access to a scanner the next couple days...can I answer any questions?

Hi Matt,

OK, so you’ve found a stone that you’ve seen in person and that you love, you’ve shopped the competition and found comparable stones offered for similar prices that you don’t like as much, you’re happy with the service from the dealer and presumably you’ve got the money to cover it. This sounds like a done deal. What am I missing?

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

Hi Matt,

OK, so you’ve found a stone that you’ve seen in person and that you love, you’ve shopped the competition and found comparable stones offered for similar prices that you don’t like as much, you’re happy with the service from the dealer and presumably you’ve got the money to cover it. This sounds like a done deal. What am I missing?

Neil

Neil,

Great question, and I think its more of making sure someone else doesn't look at it and somehow think i'm being ripped off. I'm planning to go in to David S's office today and finalize everything, but I think its more of a boost to my decision making capabilities :P

Hi Matt,

In order for me to evaluate on which diamond is the better one in my opinion the certs are important. If you don’t have a scanner to scan the certs that’s okay. All we need is the GIA Report number of each diamond and its carat weight and I can look them up at http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

Hi Matt,

you are right the 1.07ct is a nicer diamond. It should also face up better than the 1.04ct.

just make sure it's a nice SI1.

Good luck and I'm sure you will be very happy with the 1.07ct.

Yekutiel

Diamond Consultant

www.idjewelryonline.com

Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,

you are right the 1.07ct is a nicer diamond. It should also face up better than the 1.04ct.

just make sure it's a nice SI1.

Good luck and I'm sure you will be very happy with the 1.07ct.

WOOHOO bought the 1.07 ! :)

I'll let you all know how it looks when its made and i'll post pictures..thanks for the help

Hi Matt,

GOOD FOR YOU! I am really glad that you gave the Solasfera a chance. They are really awesome diamonds. I have been impressed by them, both as a consumer and as someone in the field ever since I started working with them some two and half years ago.

All the best to you!

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

HI Matt,

I actually had the two questions I posed above

Did you compare the "branded" stone with a stone graded EX cut grade by GIA?

How much are they charging for the name?

well, in comparison to a 1.01c which was virtually the same in all categories, but with a faint flourescence, it was only $300 more! So basically i'm getting the branded and what I think is more brilliant stone, and .06 more carets for $300 more.

This is quite ambiguous- we have no idea if the seller inflated the prices of the EX cut grade stones to make the branded ones look less overpriced......

Hi...

I don't think I am allowed to post that...I will say this much...rarely has price been an issue that kept a customer from purchasing a Solasfera through the many times I have show these stones. I have found it usually came down to personal preference and not price. In my humble opinion, as both a seller and a consumer of these diamonds...I have found customers happy to pay for them, and I have been happy to purchase them. I personally think they are just so beautiful.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

Tim, can you give us some idea of the premium involved?

Tim: are you saying that your customers have so much money they don't care what something costs?

If you're going to promote something here, at least be open enough to tell the whole story. You're forcing us to assume these things are so horribly overpriced that whoever sells them is unable to publish the price.

Then we have a person who's supposedly asking a question about a diamond, and even he won't say what it cost? Surely a consumer has nothing to prohibit them from mentioning the price.

I have to repeat Neil's question; What are we missing here?

Tim: are you saying that your customers have so much money they don't care what something costs?

If you're going to promote something here, at least be open enough to tell the whole story. You're forcing us to assume these things are so horribly overpriced that whoever sells them is unable to publish the price.

Then we have a person who's supposedly asking a question about a diamond, and even he won't say what it cost? Surely a consumer has nothing to prohibit them from mentioning the price.

I have to repeat Neil's question; What are we missing here?

Let me first correct you (not that I made it clear), but the 1.01c round diamond was from a completely different seller with no affiliation with David S. The price difference was very small and the level of service and comfort was also much different, as well as the ambiance of the locations (multiple locations on street level, and just a very uncomfortable pushy feeling - not the sales person), as opposed to David S and his very calm and collective personality.

Judging as a consumer who had looked around, I don't feel that there was a premium to be paid for the Solasfera and if it was ,it was ever so slight.

The one I bought was GIA cer 1106025457 and the 1.01 was 17209109

The 1.01 would have cost me $6200 and the 1.07 cost me $400 more. Plus the ability to put it on a credit card with 1% cash back, (other vendor would have charged me the percentage he was) ...this made it a win win for me.

I hope i've cleared anything up, but I do not by any means feel I paid a lot more for the solasfera and I do not regret the decision in the leaast. I am very excited to receive the diamond and even more excited to propose to her.

Thanks again everyone

HI Matt,

Could you please make this easy?

What was the quality ( GIA grade), size, and price of the diamond you bought?

Also- as a walk in sale, you did need to pay sales tax, yes?

Matt- just so you understand: There's a lot of strange happenings on the internet- there's been so many cases of a "consumer" posting a great experience with a seller, only to find out the seller is actually the person posting.

I'm sure that's not the case here- but you did come asking for expert advice. As you can see, dealers pushing the brand we're talking about are here on this thread, promoting them.. without giving us the benfit of full information.

Knowing exactly what you bought- and for how much will allow a far more informative discussion.

HI Matt,

Matt- just so you understand: There's a lot of strange happenings on the internet- there's been so many cases of a "consumer" posting a great experience with a seller, only to find out the seller is actually the person posting.

I'm sure that's not the case here- but you did come asking for expert advice. As you can see, dealers pushing the brand we're talking about are here on this thread, promoting them.. without giving us the benfit of full information.

Knowing exactly what you bought- and for how much will allow a far more informative discussion.

okie dokie

Round Modified Brilliant 6.62 - 6.66 x 4.11mm

Car weight 1.07

Grade - H

Clarity - SI1

Finish

polish - exc

symm - exc

no flourescence

and it has a solasfera inscription.....

I don't believe this person above works for David S, but what do i know? :)

Thanks Matt- but I'm still not sure how much you paid.

The 1.01 would have cost me $6200 and the 1.07 cost me $400 more. Plus the ability to put it on a credit card with 1% cash back, (other vendor would have charged me the percentage he was) ...this made it a win win for me.

Does this mean you paid $6600?

And we have to add sales tax, yes?

I'm really interested- and this is a great opportunity.

One of the reasons is that when companies refuse to say what they are selling for, it really does cast some doubt in my mind.....

Edited by diamondsbylauren

HI Matt,

okie dokie

Car weight 1.07

Grade - H

Clarity - SI1

Finish

polish - exc

symm - exc

no flourescence

Hi Matt,

Actually there is a video of a Solesfera Vs a reg cut in a round.I could tell the difference between the two stones but under normal conditions, who knows ? As long as you are happy with the purchase, thats all that really matters :) Congrats !!!!!!!

GL

No I am not saying that...that is a bit of liberty with my post. :-) I would say they are about 10 - 15% more than an AGS Ideal being sold online from a reputable dealer such as yourself, DBOF, or Emma Parker & Co.

Most of the customers I have helped have felt that they could see the value for the price difference.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

Thanks Matt- but I'm still not sure how much you paid.

Does this mean you paid $6600?

And we have to add sales tax, yes?

I'm really interested- and this is a great opportunity.

One of the reasons is that when companies refuse to say what they are selling for, it really does cast some doubt in my mind.....

A great opportunity for what??? No company here is refusing to say what they are selling for, so I do not understand at all what your point is. I am a consumer, not a company and I just told you what I paid.

HI Matt,

okie dokie

Car weight 1.07

Grade - H

Clarity - SI1

Finish

polish - exc

symm - exc

no flourescence

Hi Matt,

Actually there is a video of a Solesfera Vs a reg cut in a round.I could tell the difference between the two stones but under normal conditions, who knows ? As long as you are happy with the purchase, thats all that really matters :) Congrats !!!!!!!

GL

VERY Happy with the stone, and yes, you probably could tell the diff in person or not... it is a gorgeous gorgeous stone.

Matt, it's quite a simple question, which you have never answered directly.

Am I correct that the price for the 1.07 H/Si1 loose diamond was $6600 plus tax?

A great opportunity for what??? No company here is refusing to say what they are selling for, so I do not understand at all what your point is. I am a consumer, not a company and I just told you what I paid.

Hi...

I don't think I am allowed to post that...I will say this much...rarely has price been an issue that kept a customer from purchasing a Solasfera through the many times I have show these stones. I have found it usually came down to personal preference and not price. In my humble opinion, as both a seller and a consumer of these diamonds...I have found customers happy to pay for them, and I have been happy to purchase them. I personally think they are just so beautiful.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

In fact, Tim, who's a dealer saying how great these things are told us that he is not allowed to mention the price.

As a company that does publish the price of everything we offer, I feel that companies who hide the prices are acting in a deceptive manner.

So, the opportunity is a real consumer who has nothing to prevent them from giving us specific info.

You did come here to ask questions about this purchase, didn't you?

Why would you have a problem answering such a simple question......

Matt, it's quite a simple question, which you have never answered directly.

Am I correct that the price for the 1.07 H/Si1 loose diamond was $6600 plus tax?

Hi...

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

In fact, Tim, who's a dealer saying how great these things are told us that he is not allowed to mention the price.

As a company that does publish the price of everything we offer, I feel that companies who hide the prices are acting in a deceptive manner.

So, the opportunity is a real consumer who has nothing to prevent them from giving us specific info.

You did come here to ask questions about this purchase, didn't you?

Why would you have a problem answering such a simple question......

Obviously it was $6600, when someone says $6200 and the other was $400 more..that makes $6600 ...

tax didn't need to be paid because of NJ residence but typically it did

Yes, I came to this website for advice, but I find you to be badgering and quite obnoxious. I also think you need to understand that I did not plan on getting in the middle of some sort of vendor feud on this site and I will say that everyone on this site has been wonderful, but I'm not going to be caught in the middle of something you feel is a conspiracy, possibly this other dealer simply doesn't want to advertise his price? Maybe he does have to mark them up because he doesn't produce them? I don't know, but do not drag me into it or make it look like i'm doing something wrong.

I have and DID answer your "simple" questions which I did not have to and for your own knowledge, please do not accuse me of anything which I am not doing.

Tim, if you did not want to discuss this, why ask the question?

I believe one of the great things about a forum like this is the opportunity to discuss specifics about a stone- or the way a stone is sold.

Having dealers come on and say how great a diamond is without disclosing the price would seem to go against an open conversation.

I'm sorry if this is not what you wanted to talk about.

Regardless, best of luck, I hope you enjoy your diamond.

To anyone reading this who wondered what the premium is: A well cut 1.07 H/SI1 is about $5000-$5500 so it looks like the premium varies from 20-30+%.

I do think that's quite meaningful.

Matt,

Sometimes conversations don’t always go the way you planned at the beginning but this is a large part of the value of these forums.

David may not be the fuzziest teddy bear in the bin but he’s got a valid point. I would also point out that he and others have provided their advice for FREE, which offsets quite a bit in terms of rough edges. People come here routinely and ask us what various things ‘should’ cost. There are some serious traps in answering a question like this and you’ll notice that I rarely participate in these threads for that reason.

David, Tim, Jan and other dealers can certainly answer about what they have for sale and what their offerings cost or even what they have previously charged for something and although this can certainly be useful it's answering a subtly different question. One of the very best sources of information for future shoppers is to read these threads and see what something was and what it DID cost. With branded merchandise like Solisfera and with dealers who are overtly concealing the information about their offers this is doubly valuable in terms of information.

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

I misunderstood what you wanted me to post...I thought you were asking me for mark-up percentages. That is what I was hesitant to post. I should rephrase...it is about 10 - 15% more than an AGS Ideal, Hearts and Arrows. Yes...it is probably 20 - 30% more than just a GIA EX or AGS Ideal. I am not trying to play cat and mouse, or not answer the questions, but I don't think any jewelry company would not be very happy with me if I started posting industry markup precentages.

My misunderstanding....

Edited by Emma Parker & Co.

I think this whole thread got thrown out of proportion for no real reason.

I understand the advice is for free, and thats why I felt I was gladly responding and giving answers to questions.

I felt that I was being occused of trying to not give out some piece of information or keeping some sort of collusion going.

I'm sorry if I added to the confusion, the bottom line is after all is said and done, I feel I got a great deal, reading threads on here and the help in this thread was great. And i'm excited to give it to her in a few weeks and see the reaction she has.

thanks again.,