Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
Matt R.

Shoppin For A Ring...some Questions

Hey everyone..

i've been reading for some weeks and doing my research...

i've gone to a couple local places in the diamond district here in NYC and gotten some ideas...

a couple questions... 1. Is it feasible to think that I can get a ~1c round diamond on a platinum band with a budget around 7k? Obviously the better I can get on the color, cut, and clarity are great, but to start...say around that 1c.

2. Will this economy effect diamond sellers at all in any positive/negative way? I doubt it, but its worth a shot!

Thanks all

Hi Matt,

I did a little research for you. You should be able to get close to your budget...I would suggest looking for a center stone that is really well cut, around G/H color, VS2/SI1 in clarity.

The thing that can really affect the price is the setting. Platinum is quite expensive, and depending on the ring designer, prices can range quite high, even for simple platinum rings. However I think you should be able to get close to your 7k budget.

For arguments sake...I went and tried to put a ring together just to see cost....

Here is a stone that I found with a cutter that I am familiar with and have worked with in the past....I will use this as my example.

1.02 G VS2 GIA Excellent Cut $6,525

Simple Platinum Solitaire $895 (there are solitaires that can range from $500 - $2500)

Total $7,420.00

So you can see if you go to a good internet vendor, you should be able to get close to your budget. A word of caution about the NYC Street...be careful...it is a high pressure sales environment and things are not always what they seem. If you want to buy from someone in the NY Diamond District, go to David S. Diamonds. I would definitely encourage you to explore the internet vendors however, as you will most likely get a better deal.

All the best,

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

Hey everyone..

i've gone to a couple local places in the diamond district here in NYC and gotten some ideas...

a couple questions... 1. Is it feasible to think that I can get a ~1c round diamond on a platinum band with a budget around 7k? Obviously the better I can get on the color, cut, and clarity are great, but to start...say around that 1c.

2. Will this economy effect diamond sellers at all in any positive/negative way? I doubt it, but its worth a shot!

Thanks all

Hi Matt,

I did a little research for you. You should be able to get close to your budget...I would suggest looking for a center stone that is really well cut, around G/H color, VS2/SI1 in clarity.

The thing that can really affect the price is the setting. Platinum is quite expensive, and depending on the ring designer, prices can range quite high, even for simple platinum rings. However I think you should be able to get close to your 7k budget.

For arguments sake...I went and tried to put a ring together just to see cost....

Here is a stone that I found with a cutter that I am familiar with and have worked with in the past....I will use this as my example.

1.02 G VS2 GIA Excellent Cut $6,525

Simple Platinum Solitaire $895 (there are solitaires that can range from $500 - $2500)

Total $7,420.00

So you can see if you go to a good internet vendor, you should be able to get close to your budget. A word of caution about the NYC Street...be careful...it is a high pressure sales environment and things are not always what they seem. If you want to buy from someone in the NY Diamond District, go to David S. Diamonds. I would definitely encourage you to explore the internet vendors however, as you will most likely get a better deal.

All the best,

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

Hey everyone..

Thanks all

Thank you Emma, ironically enough, I actually have gone and looked at David S and was very impressed. :D

one more question...

i've noticed that around a 1c things can really change with this round brilliant. What is more important, the color, or clarity????

I would say in this order:

1. Cut,

2. Color

3. Clarity

4. Carat weight

Jan

For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com

+1

great, thanks for all the replies...yesterday i went to a few places in the diamond district.... one guy with a 1.11 VS2 I color said he could do the whole ring (plat tiffany style band) for $5800, others were closer to $7k for a 1.00 c SI1 with D-H color...

gonna try a few places today

Anyone heard of Salvatore & Co or Leonard Feldman and Son??

You’re heading for trouble. To be sure, $5,800 for a 1.11/I/VS1 with a decent cut properly set in a nice platinum solitaire is a terrific price but don’t let the price distract you. A 1.11/J/SI1 with a crappy cut and poorly set in a chintzy mounting would be no bargain. If you're not enough of an expert yourself to tell the difference it’s important to know in whom you are placing your trust.

I color and VS1 clarity according to whom (this is hugely important)?

What’s the cut like (and according to whom)?

Actually look at the stone before you make the final commitment. Never buy on the paper alone.

Get a 100% cash return offer for at least as long as it takes you to have your own expert inspect the piece and also to allow you the opportunity to see it in a variety of lighting conditions and away from the sales pressure of the dealer. You should be allowed to return for ANY reason as long as you don’t damage it and ask within a reasonable amount of time. Read the fine print. No refunds = No sale.

Look at the mounting or at least a sample. Craftsmanship varies tremendously in both in the manufacturing and assembly. Have it inspected by your own expert after it’s mounted. Check the warranty.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

Great advice from Neil.

I think one of the main dangers of shopping on 47th street is the belief that one can simply walk around, get prices and pick a winner.

The pressure of high overheads creates a situation where many sellers will promise almost anything to make a sale.

As Neil pointed out, many times the lowest price represents a very bad deal.

Remember, the sellers on 47th street do this every day. Many potential buyers have no experience and are like putty in their hands.

You’re heading for trouble. To be sure, $5,800 for a 1.11/I/VS1 with a decent cut properly set in a nice platinum solitaire is a terrific price but don’t let the price distract you. A 1.11/J/SI1 with a crappy cut and poorly set in a chintzy mounting would be no bargain. If you're not enough of an expert yourself to tell the difference it’s important to know in whom you are placing your trust.

I color and VS1 clarity according to whom (this is hugely important)?

What’s the cut like (and according to whom)?

Actually look at the stone before you make the final commitment. Never buy on the paper alone.

Get a 100% cash return offer for at least as long as it takes you to have your own expert inspect the piece and also to allow you the opportunity to see it in a variety of lighting conditions and away from the sales pressure of the dealer. You should be allowed to return for ANY reason as long as you don’t damage it and ask within a reasonable amount of time. Read the fine print. No refunds = No sale.

Look at the mounting or at least a sample. Craftsmanship varies tremendously in both in the manufacturing and assembly. Have it inspected by your own expert after it’s mounted. Check the warranty.

Neil

I should have mentioned it was a GIA cert and I did look at it... I wasn't in love with it, but it was a starting point at one place. I'm hoping to go see David S Diamonds again this afternoon and see what I can find out there too

I should have mentioned it was a GIA cert and I did look at it... I wasn't in love with it, but it was a starting point at one place. I'm hoping to go see David S Diamonds again this afternoon and see what I can find out there too

I know David S. personally...he will do right by you...when you are there...take a look at the Solasfera Cut stone...it is really beautiful, and definitely worth the money.

Good luck!

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

In terms of "Solisfera", I just don't see that it's worth any premium at all, IMO.

If Matt was looking at a really well cut round diamond, I don't think he'd have been far more impressed- even if the diamond has color- or even imperfection, a really well cut round really smiles at you.

If you stock with a diamond GIA graded as EX cut grade, it's really hard to go wrong.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

so i went to one place yesterday on recommendation (Millman Diamond) and this is what i saw

from the GIA Report

round brilliant 1.01c 6.39 6.43 x 4.02

E/SI1/Excellent

Very good polish, very good symmetry and faint flourescence

going to David Diamonds today to see some stuff.... but is $6200 for above a good deal?

Do you have any additional info such as table, total depth, girdle, crown angle and pavilion angle? Also did you take a look at the stone under a microscope? What did you think?

Edited by jan

Jan

For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com

Here Matt, let's save you some time.

1.03ct E SI1 Ex cut, ex/ex/n 61.4/56 6.49x6.54x4.00

For about $6k including a platinum tiffany solitaire. There are several others with the Rolls Royce ex/ex/ex/n keeping you $6200 or less complete. So why get vg/vg.

You can get D SI1 triple ex for under $7k complete.

Marty

CEO/Pres

Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc

www.dbsdiamonds.com

Matt, also stateside there is another E SI1, triple Excellent, 6.5mm+ measurements that on the "Halloway Cut Advisor" reads out

FactorGradeLight ReturnExcellentFireExcellentScintillationExcellentSpread

or diameter for weightVery Good

This also gets you a tad under $6k complete, no ship cost and no sales tax.

Marty

Diamond Brokerage Service Inc

www.dbsdiamonds.com

Hi David,

I understand and respect your opinion...I have worked with, and sold many solasferas, and have heard many clients singing their praises. I also have had the joy of working with them in the lab from the technical aspect, and the cut pattern and light return from a scientific standpoint is so amazing that I personally am blown away. However I would completely agree with you that it is a matter of opinion. I know that my wife wears a Solasfera pendant and I have never seen any piece get more attention by other people when we are out an about. The diamonds are bursting with brilliance all the time, and people see it from accross the room, and come over and compliment her.

I would never push the Solasfera on a customer, but I think, since it is free, a look is always worth it.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

In terms of "Solisfera", I just don't see that it's worth any premium at all, IMO.

If Matt was looking at a really well cut round diamond, I don't think he'd have been far more impressed- even if the diamond has color- or even imperfection, a really well cut round really smiles at you.

If you stock with a diamond GIA graded as EX cut grade, it's really hard to go wrong.

Hi David,

I understand and respect your opinion...I have worked with, and sold many solasferas, and have heard many clients singing their praises. I also have had the joy of working with them in the lab from the technical aspect, and the cut pattern and light return from a scientific standpoint is so amazing that I personally am blown away. However I would completely agree with you that it is a matter of opinion. I know that my wife wears a Solasfera pendant and I have never seen any piece get more attention by other people when we are out an about. The diamonds are bursting with brilliance all the time, and people see it from accross the room, and come over and compliment her.

I would never push the Solasfera on a customer, but I think, since it is free, a look is always worth it.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

Actually, I jsut got back from DSD and I was VERY impressed by the Solasfera...

I am currently lookign at two (very similar) diamonds and may very likely get it through him...

from GIA:

Round Modified Brilliant

6.662 - 6.66 x 4.11

1.07c/h/SI1

Excellent polish, excellent symmetry, no flourescence

other is round mod brilliant

6.53- 6.55 x 4.06

1.04c/G/SI2

ex polish, ex symmetry, no flourescence

i have copies of the GIA if there are more questions

Hi Matt,

Can you please post the copies of the GIA reports. I would like to see your options.

Yekutiel

Diamond Consultant

www.idjewelryonline.com

I won't have access to a scanner the next couple days...can I answer any questions?

Hi Matt,

In order for me to evaluate on which diamond is the better one in my opinion the certs are important. If you don’t have a scanner to scan the certs that’s okay. All we need is the GIA Report number of each diamond and its carat weight and I can look them up at http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

Good luck and we are always here to help you

Yekutiel

Diamond Consultant

www.idjewelryonline.com

I won't have access to a scanner the next couple days...can I answer any questions?

HI Matt,

I actually had the two questions I posed above

Did you compare the "branded" stone with a stone graded EX cut grade by GIA?

How much are they charging for the name?

HI Matt,

I actually had the two questions I posed above

Did you compare the "branded" stone with a stone graded EX cut grade by GIA?

How much are they charging for the name?

well, in comparison to a 1.01c which was virtually the same in all categories, but with a faint flourescence, it was only $300 more! So basically i'm getting the branded and what I think is more brilliant stone, and .06 more carets for $300 more.