Ben Bridge "signature" Diamond Solitaire Ring In Platinum

mj_98101

http://www.benbridge.com/bb_store/product.php?productid=8150

This is $6300 with a .70ct VS2 G "Signature" cut. After a lot of shopping, this is our favorite setting so far.

But I find myself turned off by the marketing of the "Signature" diamond. Online I found similar spec diamonds for $2500ish. If the setting is worth another $2000, am I spending $1800 extra for the Ben Bridge name? It's not Tiffany....

The saleslady said I wouldn't be able to substitute my own stone, as the setting is designed for BB Signature cut diamonds.

Has anyone gotten around this? Would an independent jeweler be able to replicate the Ben Bridge setting we like? Should we look online for a completely different trellis setting?

post-116403-1223030636_thumb.jpg

post-116403-1223032137_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Depending on your cutting requirements and your tolerance for other issues like fluorescence and finish, I think you’ll find $2500 to be a little on the low side for that stone but your logic is basically correct. You are paying a premium for the Ben Bridge name, for the convenience of having a nearby store, for getting EXACTLY that design and for the confidence that comes with doing business with a well established company with a good reputation. It’s up to you to decide if you think they’re worth it. Lots of jewelers will either have a manufacturer that makes a ring pretty similar to that or can custom make one for you. You might even like their work better, but it’s unlikely to be identical. Print out a copy of that picture on the BB website and ask a few.

Neil

Neil, thanks for your advice! I've been learning a lot from your other posts here.

You are paying a premium for the Ben Bridge name, for the convenience of having a nearby store, for getting EXACTLY that design and for the confidence that comes with doing business with a well established company with a good reputation.

Do they have a good reputation? I've never bought jewelry before, the only name I heard before was Tiffany. I checked BBB and Google reviews on Ben Bridge -- didn't notice anything extraordinarily positive or negative.

Lots of jewelers will either have a manufacturer that makes a ring pretty similar to that or can custom make one for you. You might even like their work better, but it’s unlikely to be identical. Print out a copy of that picture on the BB website and ask a few.
Edited by mj_98101

The saga continues .... I found a local, non chain jeweler in Belltown Seattle with several good reviews. We looked at other rings they made, were given the option of going with their stones or ordering our own online, explanation and examples of various grade stones. I finally felt we were dealing with professionals.

The downside of going with a custom ring is the amount of time it will take to have it made. I'm excited about the possibility of getting something higher quality than a chain store would have been able to do for the same price.

• 2 years later...

You do realize you're replying to a post that is well over 2 years old and that the original poster is probably not a forum participant anymore, right? Take note of the date of threads to be sure you're participating in the most recent, active ones, as you'll likely have more responses.

• 2 weeks later...