Excellent Versus Very Good Polish And Symmetry

bowline

Hi - I am very much a newbie at this kind of thing, but I've found a stone for an engagement ring that I really like and there are only 2 things that worry me...

Here are the specs:

- GIA Certified

- Square Modified Brilliant

- 1.13 Carat

- Color: D

- Clarity: VVS2 (pinpoints and surface graining)

- Polish: Very Good

- Symmetry: Very Good

- Depth: 73%

- Table: 73%

- Girdle: Medium to Thick

- No Culet

- No Fluorescence

- Length to Width ratio: 1.0 (she wants a square one)

- Price is a little over $7K

It's been rated with a "Premium" cut, but that's not on the certificate.

I want this stone to be an investment, but the 2 VG's for polish and symmetry are a little concerning to me (even though I can't really tell a difference myself).

Should I hold out for something with an excellent rating for both of those? (I'm willing to sacrifice carat for quality) Or does this sound like a good stone that will hold it's value (and sparkle enough)? I just don't know what I'm looking at so I am a little concerned about buying anything that's less than a perfect cut...

Thanks for any advice!

I don't think you would see visually the difference between very good polish and symmetry and excellent polish and symmetry with the naked eye.

That being said, how do you know how much light return the actual diamond is going to have?

You can find out more about light return at this site:

www.gemex.com

Stones can have great numbers and not have very high light performance.

If interested, we can help you find one with great light performance.

We were able to help Rivermise find one here:

http://www.diamond.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=4429

You will see the first stone he was looking at had excellent polish and symmetry however it didn't get as high of a light performance as the stone he ended up with.

HI bowline!

To answer your question- There's no way in the world you could see the difference between VG ( or even Good) and Excellent Sym/ Pol

You mentioned you wanted to buy the diamond for "investment"- generally speaking, diamonds hold value, and also bring a lot of pleasure while you won them- that's a great investment.

But don't think of diamonds as you would more traditional investments.

The main problem people have is that to get a return on your investment, you'd need to actually sell it.

Here's where consumers can get hurt.

IF someone bought a desirable diamond 20 years ago- and bought it for a great price- they might be able to get back all they paid.

If they bought it last week- no way.

Keeping this in mind, there's not going to be a large difference between VG/VG, and EX/EX over the long term.

In terms of "light return" - most diamond dealers feel this is a useless "stat"

You need to look at the diamond, and see if you love it.

The Polish and Symmetry grades on a GIA report don;t really tell you if you will love the diamond- or how well cut it is- and neither will a machine flashing a laser thru a diamond.

David

Thanks for the words of advice. It actually is an online store (with a 30 day no fault guarantee), so my plan is to see it in person and make sure the paperwork/value are legit with a certified appraisal before I commit to it. I've shopped around in person and I've found that I cannot really tell much difference in the subtleties of the diamonds and I always revert to the paperwork as a decision maker, so that's why I ended up checking online. I know that there's no replacement for seeing it first hand, but I wanted to make sure that I was not barking up the wrong tree.

And your investment advice is sound - I am definitely not looking at it to make money, just as something that would hold it's value...

Thanks!

In terms of "light return" - most diamond dealers feel this is a useless "stat"

That would be most dealers that carry stones with mediocre performance. I would have to say that most of the stones out there offered on the net are mediocre and passed off to the consumers as a "premium, ideal, etc cut grade. It's the very rare diamond that gets high light performance. Not easy to find.

There is no way to tell how bright a stone is going to be on paper.

An average table diameter reading with a total depth tells you nothing except the measurements of the diamond, but won't tell you how bright the stone is going to be, as noted with the example that I put up for you to see.

A house measures 40 x 60, how nice of a house is it?

Outside measurements can't predict light performance. The stone has to be seen and tested for that.

And just in case you do want to sell the stone in the future, having the additional info is a great way to resell the stone, although if you purchase something like that from us you would get a 100% upgrade in the future if you wanted something larger, or if you wanted to sell it you would also recap a minimum of 85% or more of what you paid. Don't know any sites out there that are offering that.

Edited by jan

HI Jan,

That's such a broad, and insulting statement.

I'm not suggesting stones you sell are bad becuase you promote these so called tools.

I don;t feel they are useful, nor the sites for them informative.

It's a sales tool.

Not meant to be insulting, or directed at you or your inventory specifically.