Need Advice On Emerald Cut Diamond

daplll

I am considering an emerald diamond for purchase. Could some of the experts out there take a look?Please give some advice as to the dimensions below and what price a stone like this should be.

It is UGL Certified

There are the credentials:

Carat Weight : 2.70

Shape and Cut Emerald Cut

Measurements: 8.62 x 6.88 x 4.78 mm

Depth: 69.8%

Table: 73%

Girdle: Sl.Thick

Culet: None

Color: J

Clarity: VS-1

Polish: VG

Symetry:VG

Flourescence: None

post-116241-1220721656_thumb.jpg

Thank You

I would not consider buying a stone of that size without a grading report from either GIA or AGS. Grading accuracy is just too big an issue and the difference between a J and an L or a VS1 and an SI1 are just too important. Even with that I would recommend expert assistance in the form of an appraiser who is working for YOU instead of the seller.

Neil

I am considering an emerald diamond for purchase. Could some of the experts out there take a look?Please give some advice as to the dimensions below and what price a stone like this should be.

It is UGL Certified

There are the credentials:

Carat Weight : 2.70

Shape and Cut Emerald Cut

Measurements: 8.62 x 6.88 x 4.78 mm

Depth: 69.8%

Table: 73%

Girdle: Sl.Thick

Culet: None

Color: J

Clarity: VS-1

Polish: VG

Symetry:VG

Flourescence: None

post-116241-1220721656_thumb.jpg

Thank You

Hi,

The diamond in the photo looks great*, although a little tinted.

*The diamond described as a J color from UGL (the only thing missing is "Y") concerns me in that I think it will be much more tinted than the photo shows. In fact I would bet on it.

And BTW, that is a bad photo.

Not to mention that most likely it's not a photo of the diamond described but a sample photo of an EC of roughly that size.

Tread very carefully, and ask a lot of questions to the vendor before you commit to anything. Any sign of annoyance on the vendor's side, treating your questions as meaningless or worthless because "the stone is certified", refusal to provide further photos (e.g. of the inclusion that caused the clarity grade or of the stone in different lighting conditions), absence of a good return policy (e.g. very short time for returns, restocking fees, etc.) should be taken as a sign to walk away.

Personally, I'd walk away in any case. There's plenty of emerald cuts in that size. A quick search on a large online diamond broker site looking for diamonds between 2.42 and 3.13 ct, I/J colour and VS in clarity shows 18 stones ranging in price between $14.5k and just under $40k. All of them have a GIA report. If you were to add K/L and SI1 to the range, you'd probably double the number of stones, and more than double the price range. You can be sure that there are reasons for the difference in price, although there will be some relative bargains.

Assuming you are still keen on the stone you posted, the first question is what is a fair and comparable colour/clarity grade for it. The UGL(Y) grade of J/VS1 is unlikely to be it...