Treasures (again)

treasurehunter

Well gang my first post got lost somewhere darnit, and it took me 20 minutes. This time it'll be the condensed version.

I'm a metal detectorist with some questions about the jewelry I find from time to time. My hobby is big fun, but little reward relative to the time I put into it. OK to the point -

1. What is the best way to remove small diamonds from gold jewelry to be sold for scrap gold?

2. Is there any market for the small diamonds? I have around 15 generally no larger than 1/8 carat. If so where would I sell them?

3. Also have occasional other stones, mostly onyx or CZ - and market for these?

4. Any clues as to when it is better to sell used rings in tact as opposed to scrap value?

FYI - I am in central Ohio if anyone is interested in muddling in this small time stuff. Most local jewelers wont offer much, and pawn shops are a rip off. I figure small diamonds have to come from somewhere as I see them in a lot of rings. Thanks for your time and I love your site!

Well gang my first post got lost somewhere darnit, and it took me 20 minutes. This time it'll be the condensed version.

I'm a metal detectorist with some questions about the jewelry I find from time to time. My hobby is big fun, but little reward relative to the time I put into it. OK to the point -

1. What is the best way to remove small diamonds from gold jewelry to be sold for scrap gold?

2. Is there any market for the small diamonds? I have around 15 generally no larger than 1/8 carat. If so where would I sell them?

4. Any clues as to when it is better to sell used rings in tact as opposed to scrap value?

FYI - I am in central Ohio if anyone is interested in muddling in this small time stuff. Most local jewelers wont offer much, and pawn shops are a rip off. I figure small diamonds have to come from somewhere as I see them in a lot of rings. Thanks for your time and I love your site!

1. you would need a prong lifter or jewelers saw in some instances.

2. not a lot of market for very small diamonds. You might be able to sell them to a shop that does repair.

3. no market for used CZ and onyx

4. You might try and find an estate jeweler that you could sell the rings intact on consignment. Or you could always try your hand on selling them on E-Bay.

Where about in central Ohio are you from. I grew up in Findlay. :angry:

1. you would need a prong lifter or jewelers saw in some instances.

2. not a lot of market for very small diamonds. You might be able to sell them to a shop that does repair.

3. no market for used CZ and onyx

4. You might try and find an estate jeweler that you could sell the rings intact on consignment. Or you could always try your hand on selling them on E-Bay.

Where about in central Ohio are you from. I grew up in Findlay. :)

Jan:

Thanks for he reply. I'm not navigating the site very well as you can see. I'm from Licking County which is just to the east of Columbus. I just recently purchased a diamond testor. the Diamond Selector 2. Several of the diamond I mentioned in my post are not diamonds. This leads me to another question!!

Are diamods ever set in 10K gold or silver?