Igi Cert I-j Color. Looks White In Sun And Very Dark Brown At Spot Light

MaryW

I have a IGI certified 2ct diamond. It is I-J color with faint fluorence. I have some small tiny G H diamond around the center big one. I wear it at day time and in the office (fluorence lighting). The diamnd looks very very white like H color, but when I wear it at night time at a restaurant with spot light. The diamond grow to very dark brown compare to the GH they are very white. It is no way it is I-J color yellowish color, it is deep brown. What is this?

Edited by MaryW

IGI is a famously unreliable source for color grading but this situation usually has more to do with cutting and lighting than color. Diamonds look very different with direct overhead lighting, like the fluorescent tubes found in most offices or warehouses, and low angled diffused lighting, like the lights found in most restaurants and private homes. The cutting, or arrangement of the facets on the stone, has a big effect on this and it's one of the things that's not discussed on your IGI document.

Neil