Slight Flaw/imperfection In New Custom-made Engagement Ring

justgotaring

Hi everyone,

I am a new user, I just found this message board after searching online. I was wondering if I could get some of your opinions on this engagement ring I just had custom made for my future fiance.

I had it made custom from a local jeweler. He did a great job and I love the ring, and I know it is just what she wants :-) . After getting home and looking at it very very closely under bright light, I noticed where the gold meets the white gold, there seem to be some flaws, blemishes, or imperfections, if you will. In the 2 side-view pictures attached, it actually looks like there is a tiny chip or something on one side. And on the other side of the ring at the same spot, the rose and white dont meet perfectly with a defined straight line which I think it would. It is more kind of blended together without a perfectly straight edge.

Is this normal and just part of the custom ring process and that nothing is truly 100% perfect? Or should I ask the jewler to take a look at this (could it even be fixed at this stage?) Or am I just too picky and specific?

Thanks in advance for your comments/opinions, I greatly appreciate it. I want to pop the question in a little less than 3 weeks.

Thanks.

post-116211-1220244257_thumb.jpg

post-116211-1220244280_thumb.jpg

post-116211-1220244289_thumb.jpg

post-116211-1220244377_thumb.jpg

Edited by justgotaring

Talk to your jeweler about it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that material and craftsmanship defects are something you should never accept because price plays a component in this. One of the ways to bring down the price is for the jeweler to take less time on the finish and craftsmanship details and we don't know what they agreed to do. What you're seeing is flaws from the original casting the solution would have been a repair (or recast) before the stones were set. Fixing it at this point is a pain in the neck but it is possible. An evaluation by an independent expert who can actually see the piece rather than some photos may be worth your trouble but the first step is to talk to jeweler about it, tell them your concerns and see what they have to say.

Neil

Talk to your jeweler about it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that material and craftsmanship defects are something you should never accept because price plays a component in this. One of the ways to bring down the price is for the jeweler to take less time on the finish and craftsmanship details and we don't know what they agreed to do. What you're seeing is flaws from the original casting the solution would have been a repair (or recast) before the stones were set. Fixing it at this point is a pain in the neck but it is possible. An evaluation by an independent expert who can actually see the piece rather than some photos may be worth your trouble but the first step is to talk to jeweler about it, tell them your concerns and see what they have to say.

Neil

Thanks, Neil.

I took the ring back this morning to see if he can fix the dent. He said it would be a pain in the butt to do, and he didn't seem to happy about it... angry.gif

He said he would either have to a) heat up the ring and them remold it or something or :angry: do some kind of filing. In both cases, he said he would have to refinish the entire ring. I hope his attept at repairing it doesn't mess up the ring. I'm gettin a little nervous now!!!

He told me to call him back in a day or two, I really hope everything turns out alright. I did get a good deal on the ring, but I didn't think there would be a flaw like this in it.