A "feather" In My Diamond?

melodylane03

I've had my engagement ring for < 10 months, when i noticed what looked like a crack, starting from the surface of my round cut diamond and going in a little ways. It is very visible to the naked eye and reflects light off of it. One day it just showed up and it really puzzled me because I am very gentle with my ring. When my husband took it back to the local jewelers (6 hours away) where he bought it, they told him it was a feather and said it had always been there. It most certainly hadn't!!! They are going to replace the diamond anyways, but it seems weird that the diamond can just develop a feather, or is there something else that happened to the diamond?? The jewelers could not explain how a feather can just appear after it's been cut.

I have to agree with the jeweler, it's very unlikely the diamond would have just appeared one day to have a crack/feather........Was the diamond graded by a lab? Was the feather shown on the diamond plot? I'm guessing it was there all along as well, ans you either never saw it, or maybe from the diamond becoming dirty or something you were able to spot the inclusion more easily.

What clarity grade is the diamond and what lab? If it's a high clarity like VS2, SI1 it's possible you just didn't notice it until now.

Edited by Adylon

I did not think that a feather could just appear, I was wondering what else it could be. This is because the “feather†or whatever it is, is HUGE and maybe it started out as a teeny tiny spec, invisible to the human eye that grew??….I don’t even know if that happens, or if it’s something else. But, I guarantee that the giant line in it was absolutely not there when I first got it. It is really frustrating to me that the jeweler does not believe my husband that it was not there when he bought it. Shouldn’t they keep a record of all the diamonds they sell, and whether or not they have gross inclusions in them? I don't know what the clarity is, or if it was on the diamond plot, of if they even had one?? They are a family friend jeweler company, but I had to have my husband convince them for a certificate for my diamond, because they said I didn’t need one. I thought that was weird, and I’m starting not to trust them. I want to have another jeweler inspect the ring, but my husband has my diamond 6 hours from here. should i tell my husband to ask them to see a diamond plot?? I already had a second opinion, who told me it was "cracked". ugh! :angry: I just want to know what it really is

Edited by melodylane03

You're lacking a lot of basic info.... what size is this diamond? what is the clarity grade? who graded it? is it even a natural diamond or was it treated perhaps? This is why we get diamonds that are graded by an independant lab. You're asking me to give an opinion on something which is very unknown so I can't really be of any help.

I would suggest you tell your husband that you want the diamond replaced with a GIA graded diamond with a minumum clarity of SI1.

It is possible to crack a diamond but the does not look like what you describe. A ‘feather’ is in the original rock before the cutter even starts. I’m glad to hear that the jeweler is willing to trade out the stone with another that will suit you better. Congratulations to your husband on finding a good jeweler. I dare say that most would not do this after 10 months.

Neil

Wow- the closest local jeweler is 6 hours away!

You're certainly a prime candidate for future purchases to be made online!

One thing that might have happened- maybe the imperfection that was there was less visible when the diamond was clean- sometimes when a ring gets dirty, it's easier to spot such imperfections.

Adlyon makes a good point oo. We'd need to have more info to see if you "chain is getting jerked"

How big is the diamond ( it's carat weight) and how much did you pay?

I can understand your skepticism at this point- but if it's a 1.00 and the cost was $1,000 it's likely just part of the package.

If it's a 1.00 you paid ...say $5000+ for, then we more safely assume something is amiss somewhere.

David,

Spoken like a true New Yorker. Out here in flyover country people travel 4-6 hours for such things all the time and the public transit system is even worse. I have people come in from half way across the state almost every day.

On the other hand, maybe she's from Boston. On a bad traffic day I hear it takes 6 hours to get across town. :angry:

Neil

I'm reminded of a story about two fellows in Texas talking about how big their ranches are. One explains that it takes him 6 hours just to drive his truck from one side to the other.

The other casually responds “yup, I used to have a truck like that.â€

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

• 1 month later...

my boyfriend picked out a 1/2 carat princess cut diamond all by himself and i love it, it is certified and all but i noticed something in the center. the jeweler said it was a feather and not a flaw and would not crack or anything. so i can either have it replaced with a whole new ring or keep it.

i like to be different and love to have things nobody else has, just my personality..

so my question is is a feather considered rare, or is it of lesser or more value of a diamond with out a feather, the feather is in the perfect center of the diamond. i kinda think it is neat but if it brings the value down in the ring i would just get it replaced.THANK U SO MUCH lisa