Cushion Cut Advice

MSK1218

I am currently looking to purchase an engagement ring and would like some expert advice. I know what my girlfriend likes and have been doing a lot of research online trying to learn as much as I can so that I can pick the right diamond. I am going to purchase online as the prices are lower and there seems to be better quality and bigger selection online (going off numbers/cert only). I am looking for a 1+ carat, cushion cut, D/E color, VVS1-VS1 clarity, 1.10 to 1.2 length/width ratio (looking for a slightly rectangular shape but not too drastic), best cut possible, GIA cert. My budget for entire ring (diamond and setting) is $7500. From doing research online and reading the forums on this site, it appears it will be difficult to pick a cushion cut/fancy shape diamond without seeing it and that there is not an "ideal" cut for a cushion diamond. I have found a few diamonds I am interested in online, I have listed the links below. If anyone out there has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.dreamstone.com/store/pc/viewPrd...1#gradingreport

http://www.bluenile.com/cushion-cut-diamon...#grading_report

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS1-I...mond-859003.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VVS1-...ond-1174149.asp

Sure.

Choose your dealer before you choose your stone. As you point out, there is no sensible way to pick a cushion without seeing it and the first filter is through the dealer. You gain a lot by picking a dealer who can actually see it. They can't do any better a job than you at making a sensible selection using only the 3 major dimensions although quite a few of them seem to try. Choose a dealer who you trust, tell them what you want and have them assist in picking a stone using their eyes, their training, their equipment and their experience. If you’re still not sure or you’ve chosen a dealer who can’t or won’t give you the info to make a sensible decision, hire your own expert to look at it or simply find a different dealer.

Neil

I agree with Neil- it's very important to see the diamond to be able to choose one.

For example- there are many different types of cushions.

Here's a diamond GIA categorized as "Cushion Brilliant"- D/VVS2.

r2625f.JPG

This is a cushion with larger facets, giving it some of the look of an emerald cut ( IMO)

There are also cushion cut diamonds that emulate round brilliant cut more closely.

Cushions, like all fancy shapes, can not be evaluated sight unseen. "Numbers" are non-predictive. You can have two Cushion cut diamonds with the same exact "Numbers" look totally different from each other.

Your best approach is to work with a Vendor that can serve as your "eyes" by personally evaluating diamonds and provide you with clear options/choices from which you can make an informed decision.

Edited by barry

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. How would I go about finding a vendor online that actually have the diamonds they list in their possession ? - I know most do not. Does anyone have any suggestions on any vendors who can actually "see" their listed diamonds and/or provide pictures? Or a vendor who can possibly obtain the same diamonds that the larger companies list, and provide an evaluation and pictures of ones I may be interested in. I am new at this and am not sure how the process works. I was initially just going to purchase a diamond from one of the larger online companies until I began to do more research on the cushion cut. I know the shape and proportion of the diamond I am looking for as I listed in the first post. I would like more of the crushed glass look, no bow tie effect. I think that I would prefer the cushion modified brillant with the smaller facets. Again, any suggestions or advice on vendors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Both the above dealers who have answered your question sell diamonds out of stock and they seem like a good place to start. They’ve already gone further to assist you than the big virtual houses and that’s a good sign. More generally, the ones who are willing to work at it to assist their customers rather than just pushing paper or pixels are justifiably proud of this fact and are pretty clear about listing this as one of their selling points if you just read their websites. If it’s not on their main page it’ll be on the page about ‘why buy from us’, or some similar title.

Go back to the beginning of your search and choose a dealer or maybe 2, specifically looking for someone you feel deserves your business. To some extent that involves looking at what they have in inventory at the moment and how they price things but at least as much can be learned by their style of business. Pretty much everyone can get the same stones as the big ‘virtual’ houses and most will match prices or come close if you ask them so the question becomes choosing one that will tell you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This is a little harder because the liars are, well, liars, but you can learn quite a bit about them by reading what they have to say. Google them and see what others have to say about them. Check with the BBB, ripoffreport.com and similar reporting agencies. Anyone who has been around for a while will have a history (actually, lack of a history is one of the red flags to watch out for). Get a feel for how they handle problems and as you get closer to choosing one, read through their entire website with special attention to the ‘terms and conditions’ type pages as well as the educational content. There’s a thread in the FAQ of this site about how to sniff out a good jeweler, both online and on the street that may be useful for you.

Neil

Thanks Neil!

I'd say a huge tip off is the lack of actual photos on many sites offering diamonds. If there's no photo, there's no diamond.

We carry everything in stock that you see in our store.

Personally, I stay away from the stones on the db lists you see on so many sites.

In many cases the reason the stone is on a list, and not in a jewelers store ( or site) is the fact that we buy the diamonds only after we look at them- I believe virtually all dealers who stock diamonds are the same in this regard.

The cutters finish the diamonds and try to sell them immediately. The ones they can't sell based on physical examination by dealers go to the lists....