How Doood Is This Stone?

AJster

Been reading a lot of the post on this site and it's been an excellent resource for me. I have a question regarding a stone I'm looking at purchasing as a center stone.

How does the stone below rate in terms of quality? Looks like the crown angle barely prevents it from being an AGS0 as well as AGA 1A. HCA rates it as 1.1 which compares very well to a lot of the other GIA excellent stones I've looked at which generally seem to rate in the 1.6-2.6 range. Also, how would you rate this stone compared to some of the other definitions I've seen out there including super ideal, signature ideal, etc.

GIA (report #17416158)

Carat: 1.08

Color: H

Clarity: VS2

cut: ex

Polish: ex

Symmetry: ex

HCA: 1.1

Depth: 61.9%

Table: 56%

Crown: 33.5

Pavilion: 41

Girdle: medium to slightly thick

Cost: $6,541

Thanks for your help!

AJ

Edited by AJster

The "numbers" look fine but "numbers" and the HCA really tell you little if anything about how the diamond faces up. The "numbers" speak to external configuration and not optical performance.

The author of the HCA is quite vocal about not using his HCA formula as a pick tool, but only as a reject tool.

If you can't see this diamond in person, see if the Vendor can provide you with an Idealscope at a minimum.

The "numbers" look fine but "numbers" and the HCA really tell you little if anything about how the diamond faces up. The "numbers" speak to external configuration and not optical performance.

The author of the HCA is quite vocal about not using his HCA formula as a pick tool, but only as a reject tool.

If you can't see this diamond in person, see if the Vendor can provide you with an Idealscope at a minimum.

I'm going to email the vendor to see if they can provide an IS image. I'll post when I get a response.

Is there no way to tell how good a stone is based on the numbers? I'm sure it can't be 100% accurate, maybe 80% accurate? ;)

AJ

PS. apologies for the odd title; have no idea how I typed that without realizing it.

Let me try to understand this, AJ.

The asking price on this diamond is $6541.00 and you will be satisfied with an 80% accuracy interpretation by any of the Pros on this Forum who have never seen this diamond? I highly doubt that any of the regular Trade contributors on this Forum will give you this kind of "advice".

Would you accept 80% accuracy sight unseen by your doctor or building contractor?

The answer to your question is your HCA score which is 1.1. That's a very good score. It's not 100% accurate or anything but if you just want a ballpark answer then you should already know it's a very good candidate. But like Barry says, if you want 100% assurance you should examine the stone in person.

Edited by Adylon

I have to agree with Barry. You’ve already passed through the filter that says that it’s at least pretty good. You know that from the information provided on the GIA. If you want to know more than that, and most people do, you can’t get there by reprocessing the same data you already have. If the selling jeweler can't help you out, you have two options. Hire your own assistance in the form of an independent appraiser or find a different jeweler who can provide the information you want as part of their 'bundle of benefits'.

Neil