Diamond For Engagement Ring

unnamedbe

Hi all,

I bought at whiteflash this diamond for use in an engagement ring, what do you think? I fell in love with it myself, but am wondering if it was price/quality also a bargain or not:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1148631.htm#

large image:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/zoom.aspx?ItemCode=1148631

Thanks for your opinions!

Hi All!

unnamedbe- it looks like a lovely stone and the price seems very reasonable to me.

It's very easy for dealers to say they are cheaper- but sometimes the cheapest price is not going to be the best deal.

I'm sure Marty is fine and all, but Whiteflash is a very well known company- with an outstanding reputation- which is certainly worth a lot.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

Hi All!

unnamedbe- it looks like a lovely stone and the price seems very reasonable to me.

It's very easy for dealers to say they are cheaper- but sometimes the cheapest price is not going to be the best deal.

I'm sure Marty is fine and all, but Whiteflash is a very well known company- with an outstanding reputation- which is certainly worth a lot.

With same color and clarity, heavier weight, bigger measurements, hearts and arrows, unless the inclusion type is an issue then it is a "better deal". But no arguing here, I think she got a great stone and I said so.

On another note I've been incorporated online since Feb 1999. Back when "internetdiamonds.com" and "dirtcheapdiamonds" was the competition (as they are with different names) , certainly before WF. And a fully accredited Better Business member. There are great companies like Blue Nile, Whiteflash and such and traditionally, just as in the retail market, bigger means MORE EXPENSIVE...whoops, didn't mean to shout that out!!! LOL

It's all with love Lauren, I think your postings are great!

Marty

CEO/Pres

DBS Diamonds

(old site is www.diamondsatcost.com the new site will be released in days under www.dbsdiamonds.com )

I'm in a grumbly mood, so take this with a grain of salt, but anyone with the name "diamonds at cost" is already lieing to you so why trust them any further than that??

First off that is the URL I came up with when I first started online in 1999. I think my 9+ year record including BBB and Epubliceye speaks volumes so be careful before you cast dispersions.

Marty

CEO/Pres

DBS Diamonds

I sort of have to agree. DiamondsAtCost.com? That's like FreeJewelry.com or FiveDollarDiamonds.com. You're not selling them for $5, not giving anything away for free and obviously not selling anything at cost. A little silly if you ask me. Rather then trying to undercut your competition, why not try to offer unique designs, premium products, superior service... etc.... or try to sell diamonds a little differently then everyone else?

Margins online are already very thin, everyone is competitive these days. Whiteflash's margins are as thin as everyone elses. You need to differentiate yourself if you want to thrive on the internet.

You may have been around longer then other online dealers, but there's a reason why your market share is the smallest. If you want more business I'd suggest you think about why that is.... Rather then think about ways you can sell cheaper try to come up with ways to sell better.

Best of luck to you.

Yosef

First off that is the URL I came up with when I first started online in 1999. I think my 9+ year record including BBB and Epubliceye speaks volumes so be careful before you cast dispersions.

First, I'm still in a bad mood and probably shouldn't be posting, but I will anyway.. :)

When you picked that name in 1999 there were thousands of other options out there, not like today's limited pool of great domain names.. Yet you still chose a deceptive name like "at cost" and chose your market at the bottom end with minimal margins.. That's fine, you are welcome to it.. But I have a particular mental hitch with people that claim to sell at or below cost, or wholesale to the public.. I had the same issue with JamesAllen and was thrilled to see them outgrow that gotta be cheap mentality and in to a gotta be great mentality..

It is intentionally deceptive advertising because we all know that you can do neither of those things and stay in business..

I'm just saying..

First, I'm still in a bad mood and probably shouldn't be posting, but I will anyway.. :)

When you picked that name in 1999 there were thousands of other options out there, not like today's limited pool of great domain names.. Yet you still chose a deceptive name like "at cost" and chose your market at the bottom end with minimal margins.. That's fine, you are welcome to it.. But I have a particular mental hitch with people that claim to sell at or below cost, or wholesale to the public.. I had the same issue with JamesAllen and was thrilled to see them outgrow that gotta be cheap mentality and in to a gotta be great mentality..

It is intentionally deceptive advertising because we all know that you can do neither of those things and stay in business..

I'm just saying..

Exactly. Everyone tries to differentiate themselves in this market and everyone is competitive in their own way. James Allen tries to offer the biggest inventory of photographed diamonds, WhiteFlash and ExcelDiamonds have branded super ideal cut diamonds they stock in house, so does DBF, they stock Royal Asschers in particular, as well as other Gemex analyzed diamonds. Feydakin offers one of kind custom designs, David has a physical inventory of fancy shape and fancy color diamonds. Everyone is a little different, but I promise you they're all competive and thats why they're succcessful. They've established their niche while remaining competitive. You're trying to be more competitive on price with no niche... in a sense, you want to be the Walmart of online diamonds. Well that won't work unless you have very deep pockets. There's always a bigger fish that can undercut you on price.

Edited by Adylon

Any more opinions about the diamond or price in stead of the shop where i bought it :)

I just wanted to be sure te get a real diamond and not being ripped off, worth the 5% extra i guess :)

Unnamedbe,

I think everyone here will agree that Whiteflash is a reputable outfit and that you can be confident that if you buy from them you will both receive a real diamond and that it will be the one advertised. If you are concerned if it’s the right diamond for you or that something about it might be missing or misrepresented, they have a reasonable return policy that gives you the opportunity to hire an expert of your choosing to personally inspect the stone on your behalf and to help you make a decision about whether this is the right one for you.

Neil

I'm in a grumbly mood, so take this with a grain of salt, but anyone with the name "diamonds at cost" is already lieing to you so why trust them any further than that??

Marty

CEO/Pres

DBS Diamonds

I’m with the above that this is a ridiculously deceptive name and I applaud you in finally getting around to changing it.

Since you asked, I do have a few comments about your site. As is always the case, I’m most interested in the ‘terms and condition’ type pages because that’s where buyers most often get stung.

You say:

“No Sales Tax (except Va.) At current date any purchase made and delivered outside Virginia state lines are state sales tax exempt! Any purchase in Virginia is assessed 5%.â€

This is not correct. Sales taxes are imposed by the state of residence for the buyer. The only customers who buy from you who are exempt from sales taxes are residents or New Hampshire, Oregon and Alaska, which have no sales taxes. That fact that you are not required (or even permitted) to collect and remit the taxes does not mean that they aren’t owed and ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse. At best, what you are saying here is inaccurate and is setting up your clients for some penalties and interest if they get caught by their local tax authorities for following your advice and at worst your are setting them up for criminal charges. Don’t believe me? Look it up on any state tax department website, including your own. You use the same pitch in several places on the site.

Asking your customers to go to local jewelry stores for the ‘free’ inspection service and in the same paragraph warning them that any repairs done by that store would result in warranty problems strikes me as at least being unneighborly and a bit exploitive. As I’m sure you know, the primary purpose of stores offering that ‘free’ service is to sell repairs. What you’re recommending is rather like encouraging customers to take a purse full of the ‘free’ sugar packets from a restaurant because it’s cheaper than buying their own from the grocery.

by the way. Welcome to the forum. :)

Neil

I'm just saying..

Exactly. Everyone tries to differentiate themselves in this market and everyone is competitive in their own way. James Allen tries to offer the biggest inventory of photographed diamonds, WhiteFlash and ExcelDiamonds have branded super ideal cut diamonds they stock in house, so does DBF, they stock Royal Asschers in particular, as well as other Gemex analyzed diamonds. Feydakin offers one of kind custom designs, David has a physical inventory of fancy shape and fancy color diamonds. Everyone is a little different, but I promise you they're all competive and thats why they're succcessful. They've established their niche while remaining competitive. You're trying to be more competitive on price with no niche... in a sense, you want to be the Walmart of online diamonds. Well that won't work unless you have very deep pockets. There's always a bigger fish that can undercut you on price.

Wow, it is so nice to get so much advice about how to run my business! I'm not sure if the responses are to "help" me or if I've stirred up a hornet's nest out here!!!

In any event I'll answer again because I'm not one to bypass accusations and innuendos...

Must you know, I AM rolling my site over to www.dbsdiamonds.com and my new site should be up and running within the week. Second, my price structure has ALWAYS been competitive with James Allen (formerly dirtcheapdiamonds.com) and better than BlueNile and such. Third, I personally handle everything here.

Not only do I do several million a year in business but I have clients who rival anyone else's, from a US Senator who is rumoured to be a potential VP candidate this year to a top 10 NBA player (and a few others) to VP's of IBM, Oracle and Ford, management at Merrill Lynch, Anderson Consulting, CGI-AMS and plenty of other well known companies, and of course thousands of average Joes like me. My base runs from the states to Canada to Australia, Japan, Austria and other countries along with a number of retail Jewelers and mom and pop outfits who call me on occasion to help them find goods.

I personally think there is plenty of business out there and I think it is great that ya'll post and help people with questions and advice. I prefer to be on a forum like this to answer questions and provide help rather than cast dispersions and innuendos.

I've never said anything negative about you or anyone else and if you feel you need to whine about a url or something like that in attempt to discredited then hopefully something like that helps your "foul mood" excuse.

Marty

CEO/Pres

DBS Diamonds

As I’m sure you know, there is a plethora of Internet based diamond dealers out there and if you poke around in the archives of the forum you will find dozens of instances where a dealer has come on, made unsubstantiated and unsupportable claims and then vanished into the night when they get called on it. A consistent pattern is that they all claim to be the cheapest and they tend to summarily dismiss their competitors strengths, and their own weaknesses, as irrelevant. The result is a bit of a catharsis for the dealers here and all who tough it out end up better for it, as do their customers. The primary players here, including everyone who has participated in this discussion are representatives from highly reputable firms. We all have sterling BBB reputations, most are members, most do millions of dollars in business and many have been in business for decades. All offer quality products and services for reasonable prices into their own marketplace.

Here’s the comment that set off the hornet’s nest as you call it:

WF tends to be 10% or so higher than what I sell them at but you'll be happy and you did far better than paying retail.

Marty

CEO/Pres

DBS Diamonds

For starters, it’s not true. WF sells virtual diamonds like you’re offering for prices that are highly competitive to you and thousands of other dealers using that same business model. What was linked to above is part of a specialty line that they sell that includes a variety of other attributes like a generous trade in program, the stamp of approval for the H&A patterning from their expert and the confidence that comes from doing business with a well known company. These things may or may not be valuable and you can certainly argue that the premium for this line is higher than the product justifies, that your ‘bundle of benefits’ is better or at least less expensive or even that that particular stone or deal is inferior in some way but this isn’t what you’ve done. You’ve categorically declared that WF is 10% higher in price. Even if this were true it would be irrelevant without further explanation.

Secondly, Whiteflash IS a retailer. So are you and so are all of the other dealers you’ve mentioned. Abuse of the terms ‘retail’ and ‘wholesale’ is indeed one of the hot buttons here. Selling things one at a time to the end consumer is called retailing. Perhaps this sounds like a semantic argument but it leads to an enormous amount of abuses as I’m sure you know. Along with Whiteflash you have blanketly disparaged ALL retailers no matter where they are, or what they have to offer. A bit overly broad, wouldn’t you say?

I can’t speak for Steve but personally, yes I would like to see your business improve. I would like to see everyone’s businesses improve. I dare say I’ve had this conversation with quite a few dealers and some of them HAVE improved as a result. All “accusations and innuendos†that I’ve leveled have been specific suggestions that address specific things that you’ve written. By all means you are welcomed to do the same to me.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

As Neil said, we see this a LOT on the forums.. New guy comes in, says "I can get you that cheaper" as his selling point.. You'll notice that almost all of us offer free advice without EVER saying, I can get that for you.. We are here to help people interested in jewelry and diamonds.. Nothing more.. We aren't here to start out as a shill trying to make a buck.. Which your posts clearly did.. And yes, it makes some of us go a wee bit psycho when we see it.. This week it's my turn ;)

But then you defend yourself with a clean BBB record.. So what, I have more than 30 years and not even had one filed against us.. You talk about cheap virtual diamonds.. Again, so what, every one of us here can get those same diamonds.. You talk about rich / famous customers, yup, got those too.. Several million in sales?? That would make you small compared to us.. I have done million dollar single item sales.. But none of that matters.. Not a bit of it..

What does matter is a new guy, with no respect for the "community" he has entered in to, trying to sell his wares, in less than 10 posts, to a person online that was just asking for some advice.. And that is simply wrong and will get people like me worked up over what is almost always a fly by night operation just out to make a buck without regard for the customers or the industry..

Personally, I hope you turn out to not be that.. And there are plenty of people that can confirm that I love to see other businesses grow, as long as they treat the community with respect.. But when your first introduction to the community is "buy from me, I'm cheap", it sets a bad tone.. I hope that you are successful, and I hope that you learn to be a part of the community for what you can bring to it, not for what it can bring to you..