Tension Mountings & Diamond Breakage

mapper65

Hello, I've had a 1ct solitaire for nearly 10 years in a gents mounting and I've decided to get it remounted in a Gelin Abaci gents tension mounting. Since I have to work through a local jeweler they sent it to Gelin Abaci and I received a call from my jeweler and they said GA called them and wants them to sign a form saying if the diamond breaks that they are not responsible. Evidently if your stone has an inclusion this is their policy. Does anyone on here have any real experience with GA or have heard of a stone breaking. They said that once they mount the stone if it didn't break, it won't break. I really like this mounting and obviously the stone. My jeweler tried getting GA to at least rate what the chances for damage were and they would not commit to anything. Is there anyone on here that can provide an educated thought on what I should do. I have insurance on the ring which covers damage by repair but I'm not sure how well I would deal with the stone breaking regardless if it will be replaced by insurance.

Hello, I've had a 1ct solitaire for nearly 10 years in a gents mounting and I've decided to get it remounted in a Gelin Abaci gents tension mounting. Since I have to work through a local jeweler they sent it to Gelin Abaci and I received a call from my jeweler and they said GA called them and wants them to sign a form saying if the diamond breaks that they are not responsible. Evidently if your stone has an inclusion this is their policy. Does anyone on here have any real experience with GA or have heard of a stone breaking. They said that once they mount the stone if it didn't break, it won't break. I really like this mounting and obviously the stone. My jeweler tried getting GA to at least rate what the chances for damage were and they would not commit to anything. Is there anyone on here that can provide an educated thought on what I should do. I have insurance on the ring which covers damage by repair but I'm not sure how well I would deal with the stone breaking regardless if it will be replaced by insurance.

It is very rare for a diamond to break while mounting. It sounds more like the dealer is trying to cover their ass. I'll ask Abe Gelin about that when I see him this Sunday, I don't think that's their policy and I've never heard that before. What are the specs on your diamond?

Edited by Adylon

It is very rare for a diamond to break while mounting. It sounds more like the dealer is trying to cover their ass. I'll ask Abe Gelin about that when I see him this Sunday, I don't think that's their policy and I've never heard that before. What are the specs on your diamond?

The only thing I can tell you is that it 1.06 round. Color H, Clarity I1. Not perfect by any means but it was purchased for me by my now deceased grandmother. My jeweler said that Gelin called them and said they wanted them to sign off on this. I'm starting to wonder based on your comment if the dealer (not Gelin) has already broken the stone getting it out of my existing mounting. Pretty simple mounting, I believe that they call it a belcher mounting. I kind of got ahead of myself saying that I have insurance on the ring. Actually the dealer said that Gelin told them that they would suggest that I have insurance before they try to mount the diamond. The dealer said for me to fax them my old appraisal which they originally did and they would provide me with a new appraisal based on todays market. After that I could submit the new appraisal for jewelry insurance and if I decided to do it, have Gelin mount the stone. If it broke then I would be covered. I'd like to think the jeweler that I have been dealing with for years is not shady. Supposedly they sent Gelin the stone around July 28th they called me today 8-11-08. I'm not sure what to think now. I would know the stone in a second if they tried to switch it on me and as much as I would like to have the GA mounting I'm really on the fence.

The only thing I can tell you is that it 1.06 round. Color H, Clarity I1. Not perfect by any means but it was purchased for me by my now deceased grandmother. My jeweler said that Gelin called them and said they wanted them to sign off on this. I'm starting to wonder based on your comment if the dealer (not Gelin) has already broken the stone getting it out of my existing mounting. Pretty simple mounting, I believe that they call it a belcher mounting. I kind of got ahead of myself saying that I have insurance on the ring. Actually the dealer said that Gelin told them that they would suggest that I have insurance before they try to mount the diamond. The dealer said for me to fax them my old appraisal which they originally did and they would provide me with a new appraisal based on todays market. After that I could submit the new appraisal for jewelry insurance and if I decided to do it, have Gelin mount the stone. If it broke then I would be covered. I'd like to think the jeweler that I have been dealing with for years is not shady. Supposedly they sent Gelin the stone around July 28th they called me today 8-11-08. I'm not sure what to think now. I would know the stone in a second if they tried to switch it on me and as much as I would like to have the GA mounting I'm really on the fence.

Well don't jump to conclusions, I don't think anyone has broken your diamond or is lying to you. I think either GA or your jeweler are concerned about your stone and they are just being cautious, I think it's the jeweler who's worried about liability, but there's nothing shadey about being precautious.

If you have it insured I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

It is odd they have not said anything for 2 weeks, but if they quoted you a lead time of say 4-6 weeks, perhaps they were just putting it in "queue" with another shipment of diamonds to send to GA all at once rather then pay postage for 1 stone, I don't know. Don't assume the worst. To be honest it really only takes a week to make one, 2 at the most. Jewelers tend to quote longer lead times to give themselves some wiggle room in case something arises which I would think that's the case here.

I believe this is GA's policy with any diamond that is graded below a VS-2. Imperfections at or near the girdle and near cleavage planes which are areas of stress and more susceptible to breakage/fracture due to the pressure exerted against it by the tension setting can indeed be problematic. Certainly your I-1 clarity grade qualifies in this regard and GA is being correct and prudent, covering themselves against any liability and letting you know upfront the risks involved in working with your diamond.

Better for you to know upfront of these risks so that you can make an informed decision and that there is is no finger-pointing and recrimination later on if you had decided to go through with GA setting your diamond and something goes wrong in the setting process.

Be careful.

Can anyone recommend a company that I can browse online that sells nice men's mountings? I really liked the idea of the GA tension mounting but not sure if I can bring myself to take the risk. I haven't found any companies online that appear to have a selection of men's mountings. I'm sure there has to be some out there. I'd rather not sit in a a jewelry store and browse through catalogs.

Can anyone recommend a company that I can browse online that sells nice men's mountings? I really liked the idea of the GA tension mounting but not sure if I can bring myself to take the risk. I haven't found any companies online that appear to have a selection of men's mountings. I'm sure there has to be some out there. I'd rather not sit in a a jewelry store and browse through catalogs.

Most if not all of those catalogs have online counterparts.

www.stuller.com is a pretty good one and most dealers, including most online dealers, can get them.

Neil

We've carried Gelin and Abaci for 8 years. They haven't ever done that with any stone that we have sent them, however we carry SI2 and above. If you are sentimental about your stone, you may want to rethink a tension setting and get it put in a different setting. They must be seeing an inclusion that looks risky.

Which style were you thinking about getting in a Gelin and Abaci? Also what size and shape is your diamond? I can maybe put up a a picture of similar yet different style that will work for you.

Like Jan says you can probably get the same "look" without getting an actual tension ring. Tension rings are basically springs where the diamond is the missing link so to speak keeping the spring opened. But you can build a bridge or something under the stone, around the stone, or there are other ways of making something of the same "look" without it being an actual true tension ring. In fact I'm sure GA would be able to make it for you since they make non-tension products.

Which style were you thinking about getting in a Gelin and Abaci? Also what size and shape is your diamond? I can maybe put up a a picture of similar yet different style that will work for you.

I have a round 1.06ct solitaire and the style I was looking at was TR-114 in 14kt yellow gold.

Just FYI - I saw one of the Gelin's yesterday and asked him about this because I was just curious now myself. Apparently on the occasion they get an I1-I2, etc stone for which they feel poses a risk (not all do) of breakage, they will ask the customer to sign a liability release form. I asked him what the probability of breakage was in those rare cases, and he said less then 10%. So your jeweler was correct.

But it's not GA's policy to do this for all VS2 or less clarity diamonds, etc or anything like that.

Thank you. I already had Gelin send my stone back to my jeweler. I may be purchasing a different mounting or having it reset. Tried to purchase something through my jeweler from Unique Mountings and they said "those people were a little rude and aren't easy to work with like Gelin". They were not able to send a mounting for me to look at.

• 4 weeks later...