Cut, Does It Ruin This Stone?

Devo434

I recently found a 1.99 carat stone, which from my research seems to be very rare. It is nice to get a 2 carat stone but pay the price for slightly smaller one. The issue here is the cut is very different from the normal ranges I have seen for round stones. The jeweler told me this was originally going to be a 2.1 carat stone, but cutting out an imperfection, it was sized at 1.99.

It is a round stone, f color, SI1, and good cut. Here's where it gets interesting: It has a 68% table, 11% crown and 56.5% depth. The table is huge and crown small. does this ruin the stone? I have heard very mixed reviews on whther to stay away or not.

This is not cheap and is supposed to last forever, so an expert opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I recently found a 1.99 carat stone, which from my research seems to be very rare. It is nice to get a 2 carat stone but pay the price for slightly smaller one. The issue here is the cut is very different from the normal ranges I have seen for round stones. The jeweler told me this was originally going to be a 2.1 carat stone, but cutting out an imperfection, it was sized at 1.99.

It is a round stone, f color, SI1, and good cut. Here's where it gets interesting: It has a 68% table, 11% crown and 56.5% depth. The table is huge and crown small. does this ruin the stone? I have heard very mixed reviews on whther to stay away or not.

This is not cheap and is supposed to last forever, so an expert opinion would be greatly appreciated.

It's cut very shallow. What are the dimensions of it? An ideal cut 2ct round will be around 8.0-8.1mm in diameter. That stone with 56.5% depth is probably more like 8.4 or 8.5mm diameter, which is nice because it will look bigger --- sort of, but it will be dead in the center and will have a fisheye effect most likely.

Examine the diamond carefully, if there are any dead or dark spots and the whole diamond does light up bright white in all sorts of lighting I would not buy it. But I would probagbly not be a buyer of any round diamond with a depth of 56.5% and table 68% to be honest.

If you want a stone that is going to sparkle like crazy, it's not going to be the one. In fact there are alot better made, ideal cut diamonds in the 2.00 ct. range that will run less than that one.

If it were my money, I would drop down 1 color grade and get an excellent make 2.00 ct. versus buying a poor make 1.99 ct. for more.

If you need help locating one, drop me an e-mail.

Edited by jan

Hire a pro to assist and who can actually see the stone.

This is what independent appraisers are good for. This is NOT an easy question and, as you point out, there's quite a bit of money at stake. You can bet the seller has expert assistance in their corner, why don't you?

Neil