How To Test A Rough Diamond

dnelson7931

I would like to know something. Will a diamond tester test a loose rough diamond accurate if it's not sitting on that holder the testers come with? I had someone test my rough diamonds by having them sit on the table and they tested not real diamonds, but I'm pretty sure they are real and that is why I am asking this question. Please let me know thanks

Dianne

Hi Dianne,

The thermal testers don't require the holder at all so I presume you are testing for moissonite. No, it won't work with that tester but uncut moissonite looks VERY different from a rough diamond so it really shouldn't be a big question anyway. If you're not sure, show it to a pro who has seen some rough diamonds before. It's a pretty easy question but it's hard if you're looking at your first stone.

Neil

Hi Dianne,

The thermal testers don't require the holder at all so I presume you are testing for moissonite. No, it won't work with that tester but uncut moissonite looks VERY different from a rough diamond so it really shouldn't be a big question anyway. If you're not sure, show it to a pro who has seen some rough diamonds before. It's a pretty easy question but it's hard if you're looking at your first stone.

Neil

Thank you for the information

Dianne