Princess Cut Ideal-scope

Monopolisf

All,

I have spent the last month searching for a 1.5-1.7ct princess cut diamond and have stumbled upon what may be a strong candidate. I have found a F-Color 1.7ct stone w/ VG polish, VG symmetry, and a small table. The wholesaler recently forwarded the attached ideal-scope image. Given that I have little to no experience observing ideal-scope images, I would be very appreciative to know your thoughts regarding quality, light leakage, etc.

post-114986-1217532596_thumb.jpg

Nothing to go on with that. Probably the worst way to buy a diamond really. :(

Well what else would you recommend that I do to evaluate the stone pre-purchase? If the stats look good, and pictures look good, and the ideal-scope looks good (which I'm not sure of...that's why I posted the pic)...what else can I do prior to purchasing/receiving the stone and having it taken for an appraisal and gemex analysis?

I’m not nearly as down on the Idealscope as Bradley but I do agree with his conclusion that you haven’t learned much from an isolated image like this. How the picture is taken and how the diamond is aligned with the tool makes a considerable difference in what you see in the photograph. This makes comparing stones from one dealer against stones from another a very problematic issue and comparing stones at the same dealer only valid if you can rely on the dealer to use a consistent approach to the photography with every stone. Remember, you aren’t looking at a diamond, or even at a diamond through a special tool that you don’t know much about. You are looking at a PHOTOGRAPH of a diamond through a special tool that you don’t know much about.

That said, the image looks fine, it’s shows good light return in it’s current view and personally I kind of like small tables on princess cuts. It nicely square and has no major symmetry issues. It’s not a reject, which is what the IdealScope is for. Talk to your dealer about your specs and, if you’re still not confident, talk to your appraiser after you have it in hand.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser