Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
denverappraiser

Where To Buy Synthetic Diamonds

Based on numerous discussions here, quite a few people have asked me privately who actually DOES sell synthetic diamonds. 100% carbon crystals, 10 hardness, real diamond, no coatings, no BS. The real thing only made in a lab instead of in the ground. They really are out there but it's getting increasingly difficult to find them through the flood of nonsense sites selling other things that pretend to be something that they're not.

Here’s the diamond manufacturers that I know of as of today (July 23, 2008), in no particular order.

www.d.neadiamonds.com

www.gemesis.com

www.chatham.com

www.takaradiamonds.com

www.apollodiamond.com

www.lucentdiamonds.com

All are legit and all make fine products that they are justifiably proud of. Several of these fine companies sell through dealers, both online and in your neighborhood, others sell directly to shoppers and a few do both but in any case they provide contact information on their sites and will be happy to guide interested shoppers towards how and where to buy. Don’t be fooled by the fakes. This is where you can get REAL synthetic diamonds, lab diamonds, man-made diamonds, cultured diamonds or whatever you want to call them.

Neil

Edited by hermann
  • Like 1

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

Good job Niel :rolleyes: Hopefully that points people in the right direction... I'd also add "Renaissance Diamonds" to that list, which is essentially Gemesis, but that's a more consumer friendly website.

http://www.renaissancediamonds.com/

I'm personally waiting for a few manufactures to ramp up RELIABLE productions of white and pink synthetics.... Some make white, some make pink, but none in market demanding sizes (over 1ct) and most pinks seem over-saturated, not what you'd expect from a natural pink. I don't see the point in buying yellow synthetics, they're still expensive relative to white natural diamonds and most of them have that orangy hue to them that I'm not crazy about.

Yosef Adde

Adylon.com - Diamonds & Bridal Jewelry (Burbank, CA)

http://www.adylon.com

denverappraiser has contributed the following update:

It’s been 10 years since I wrote the above. Quite a bit has changed, but quite a bit also remains the same. More than half of those companies have gone out of business, and several new ones have appeared.  It’s much more diversified now with bunches of smaller players in China, Russia and elsewhere and a couple of giant factories.  A few big new retailers have appeared including Diamond Foundry and Brilliant Earth.  That’s the way business evolves. Good luck guys.  White synthetics have gone mainstream. Nearly every jeweler CAN get them, and quite a few do.  If your favorite jeweler doesn’t have a display, ask about it.

The pitfalls are largely the same.  Synthetic doesn’t mean the same thing as synthetic diamond.  CZs are synthetics. Moissanite is synthetic. Synthetic white sapphire and synthetic spinel can look pretty diamond like for 1/100 the price.  Pay attention to the fine print.  It matters.  Synthetic diamonds are still expensive to make.  Depending on how and where you shop they bring 15-30% less than comparable natural stones.  If they’re significantly less than that, it’s a big red flag.  They also are limited in size. 3 carats is HUGE.  If the seller you’re considering has giant stones available, especially if they’re very attractive prices, this is a sign of trouble.

The other big change is that the labs are now in this in a big way.  GIA, GCAL, and IGI all offer grading reports for lab grown diamonds.  That has opened up it’s own set of troubles in terms of trying to compare one against another and I do have some opinions here but all three are reliable labs and all three can be trusted in terms of stone identification. 

If you can’t tell, don’t buy it.  The burden of proof is on them to prove what they have, not you to assume it. ANYONE selling real synthetic diamonds is going to be proud of them. They won’t be using words like ‘hybrid’. They won’t be claiming a miraculous new product that only they have. They’ll have one of the above lab documents.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hermann