Where To Buy?

squirty wee

Like the above, I'm really curious why a New York address is important to you but, since it apparently matters, I think JamesAllen is in Baltimore.

Neil

We are planning to make a trip out of it and come to NY to buy the stone and have the ring made. Are there any others that you would recommend?

MJ- If I wasn't such a naive guy I'd swear you were here trying to promote a website for some reason.......

Of course you're just a shopper- but as such you should know that any seller offering diamonds at half the price of other comperable sellers is likely pullig a scam

Edited by diamondsbylauren

MJ- If I wasn't such a naive guy I'd swear you were here trying to promote a website for some reason.......

Of course you're just a shopper- but as such you should know that the site you're pushing has prices that , without a doubt, prove it to be a scam.

David,

I agree. They claim to be in your neighborhood and according to MJ supposedly will allow you to pick up stones at their office, which would suggest that they have an office. Maybe you should pay them a visit. Could be fun.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Of course you're just a shopper- but as such you should know that the site you're pushing has prices that , without a doubt, prove it to be a scam.

They are pretty close to you. Maybe you or Barry can check them out David,

Edited by jan

David,

I’m confident that we all agree that this is probably bogus but it might be useful to the readers to deconstruct it. The promises look pretty good after all. Cheap prices, credit cards, GIA grading, 30 day returns for any reason, free shipping. For those who don’t know how the pricing structure of diamonds works and therefore don’t realize that it’s ‘too good to be true’, this is a pretty appealing offer. How's a shopper to know? How would a bad guy make money at this?

Hermann. Please edit the above posts to delete the name of the site being discussed. I think this is a useful discussion to have but I don't want to get into legal hot water in disparaging a company that I know nothing about beyond an attractive advertisement.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

I second Neil's requests Hermann.

I'd like to state that any conversation we are having does NOT refer to any specific seller or person- rather these are general guidelines that might help readers understand what to look out for.

The subject at hand:

Why would a site have prices that are 1/3 that of other reputable sellers.

When we are discussing diamonds with GIA reports- especially round diamonds with a GIA "Cut Grade"- the variation in prices might be something like this:

Say a hypothetical 1.00 D/VVS1 is going to cost $16k for an aggressive online seller.

A retail store might be charging $20-$25k for a similar diamond.

When a site has such a diamond for sale at $2000 we can be quite sure something is amiss somewhere.

Neil- I wouldn't be able to guess what might happen to those buyers who send money to such hypothetical sellers.....

If you are planning to come to NY to make your ring, the 47th street diamond district is the place to visit. If you are there during the week (when the jewelers are working) you can design a ring and have it custom made in as little as 2 days. To do all the work (polishing, sizing, setting) they just walk down the street so it doesn't have to be shipped out. You won't have to worry about sales tax if your are out of state as well. For a list of recommended stores go to: www.diamonddistrict.org/storelistings . If you want a reputable diamond dealer and jeweler I suggest Hershel at 9 West 47th Street. He's very good at working within time frames for visitors and he is both a wholesale trader and a retail store owner so he gets very good deals. He also offers free insurance against theft and loss for a year through Jewelers Mutual on any purchase over $1k. The storefront is affliated with David S diamonds which has been in the district for decades. I suggest speaking to dealers closer to the quieter half of 47th by 5th ave and away from the mobbed jewelry malls and exchanges off 6th ave. If you plan to go to the Chinatown diamond district I wouldn't bother because most of the stores are closed out right now.

-Nicole

info (at) enchanteddiamond (dot) com

Nicole- you are really trying hard to promote whoever you're trying to promote- but to make such ridiculous claims does not assist readers.

1) For anyone buying and picking up a ring on 47th street- or anywhere in New York City- sales tax MUST be collected by the seller.

Will you find people willing to cheat NYState on 47th Street? Yes.

Is that a quality people should look for in a seller? I think not.

This is true in all 50 states by the way.

If the item is shipped out of state, Sales tax is not collected by the seller.

2) Sure, there are places that will build a ring in 2 days- but that's really not the norm. The very best jewelers and setters will NOT be pushed into such time frames.

Check out http://www.since1910.com

We are a 5th generation family jeweler in business since 1910.

Please view our better business certificate https://www.bbb.org/online/consumer/cks.asp...=10706059163063

Feel free to email me at brad.gross@since1910.com if you'd like to discuss. We only sell GIA certified diamonds and offer an full 30 day money back guarantee, so you have time to get the diamond appraised. Our diamonds will appraise significantly higher than the purchase price.

-Brad

Wow- another site offering 18million diamonds they've never seen- that's original!

Brad, excuse my sarcasm, but it's rather amazing how you come to a thread where this forum has been spammed, and proceed to do it again!

Based on the few stones I looked at, your site is really lacking.

For one thing, there's no mention that you're using sample photos- of course you don;t have the diamonds, so taking photos would be impossible- but letting folks know they are not looking at what you're offering might be nice.

I happened to look at a few listings for emerald cut diamonds, some of which you call "Ideal"

Again, you are not actually looking at the diamonds, so whatever you call them must be based on numbers alone.

This is no way to properly judge a diamond.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as an "Ideal Cut" emerald cut diamond.

Also - GIA does not "certify" diamonds, they issue reports identifying them.

Best of luck!

Check out http://www.since1910.com

We are a 5th generation family jeweler in business since 1910.

Please view our better business certificate https://www.bbb.org/online/consumer/cks.asp...=10706059163063

Feel free to email me at brad.gross@since1910.com if you'd like to discuss. We only sell GIA certified diamonds and offer an full 30 day money back guarantee, so you have time to get the diamond appraised. Our diamonds will appraise significantly higher than the purchase price.

-Brad

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the forum.

This does seem like an odd place for your first post on the forum and I'm surprised to see an AGS titleholder tossing around the grading term 'ideal' quite so lightly. You might want to review your AGS Standards of Business conduct in your membership manual. This is specifically addressed.

Neil