Cushion Cuts

squirty wee

I really love the Tiffany Novo but the price represents tiffany's rather than the true value of the stone.

I've read about AGA ideal cut characteristics for fancy shapes, but there wasn't one for an ideal cushion. I want a really fab quality sparkly stone and was wondering if anyone could advise the ideal characteristics of a cushion cut?

I really love the Tiffany Novo but the price represents tiffany's rather than the true value of the stone.

I've read about AGA ideal cut characteristics for fancy shapes, but there wasn't one for an ideal cushion. I want a really fab quality sparkly stone and was wondering if anyone could advise the ideal characteristics of a cushion cut?

What size, color and clarity are you looking for? There is no such thing as an ideal cut cushion. You won't be able to judge the cut and sparkle of the diamond without seeing it or at least a photo of it.

Here is an example of what I would call an ideal cut cushion.

post-10-1216740016_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

Hi squirty wee,

There is no such a thing as an "Ideal" cut cushion- I even have problems with people calling round diamonds "Ideal"

The reason is that diamond cutting is an art- if everyone had to do it the same way, it would be quite boring.....

Of course cut is important- and some are far better than others, still I don;t like classifying them as "ideal"

There are quite a few variations on the "cushion" theme.

Some look more like radiant cut diamonds, others look similar to a round.

A cushion can be shaped like a rounded edge square, or more rectangular.

Here's a picture of a rectangular .74ct D/VVS set into a ring which has a very "Antique" vibe to it......

r2625b.JPG

What shape cushion do you think would appeal to you?

Edited by diamondsbylauren

What size, color and clarity are you looking for? There is no such thing as an ideal cut cushion. You won't be able to judge the cut and sparkle of the diamond without seeing it or at least a photo of it.

Here is an example of what I would call an ideal cut cushion.

post-10-1216740016_thumb.jpg

I would like a stone that is minimum F colour, minimum VS1 clarity and around 1.2-1.5 carats and as square as possible. Can you help?

Hi squirty wee,

There is no such a thing as an "Ideal" cut cushion- I even have problems with people calling round diamonds "Ideal"

The reason is that diamond cutting is an art- if everyone had to do it the same way, it would be quite boring.....

Of course cut is important- and some are far better than others, still I don;t like classifying them as "ideal"

There are quite a few variations on the "cushion" theme.

Some look more like radiant cut diamonds, others look similar to a round.

A cushion can be shaped like a rounded edge square, or more rectangular.

Here's a picture of a rectangular .74ct D/VVS set into a ring which has a very "Antique" vibe to it......

r2625b.JPG

What shape cushion do you think would appeal to you?

Hi David

I would really like a square, 1.2 - 1.5 carat, minimum F colour & VS1 clarity. Don't really like halos on a ring - prefer the centre stone to do all the talking, with a bit of help from a pave-type setting.

any advice?