Antique Diamonds

55hits

I am curious of the value of small antique diamonds. I have a pendant that was given to me. Its not a style that I would wear but I appreciate the sentiment. I had it looked at to see if I could have it modified. I was told that it is an old piece as some of the diamonds are single cut and baguettes and are very clear. Anyone have thoughts or resources? Thank you for your help.

I am curious of the value of small antique diamonds. I have a pendant that was given to me. Its not a style that I would wear but I appreciate the sentiment. I had it looked at to see if I could have it modified. I was told that it is an old piece as some of the diamonds are single cut and baguettes and are very clear. Anyone have thoughts or resources? Thank you for your help.

Technically all diamonds are antiques seeing how they were created millions of years ago :(

Taking a piece apart and making something new is quite common.. We do it all the time.. But older diamonds have no intrinsic value just for being old.. In many cases they are worth less than modern cuts because the quality of diamond cutting has evolved so much over the years..

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on how old it is and in what condition you might be able to sell it as an estate piece. Can you trace it back to any particular time period/was the style popular in any particular era? The way the diamond is cut will tell you a window in time when it may have been made. Once you have some background on it see if you can take it to jewelers who sell "estate jewelry" and they will most likely be eager to buy it as many collectors shop specifically for estate pieces. Good luck!

-Nicole

Look for an appraiser or dealer in antique jewelry. Neil Beatty (denverappraiser) might be able to point you in the right direction for an appraiser in your area. Prices for the old diamonds are so haphazard. It's really up to the buyer or seller as to what it would be worth from what I can tell. But there is obviously some kind of scale.

I, too, love the old antique jewelry as well as the new jewelry. I'm not prejudiced against any diamond old or new. But I do have a passion for the old OEC and the fancy colored diamonds.