How Much The Cut Can Balance The Color

Calaway

Hi All,

I know the following is a very generalized question and it cannot be answered definitvely in through this forum but I was hoping for some general guidance. I have 3 rocks to choose from...but don't know which one to pick - all are GIA:

Cut: Ex/Ex/Ex

Clarity: VS1

Color: I

Carat: 2.3

Price: 23,000

Cut: Ex/Ex/VG

Clarity: VS2

Color: H

Carat: 2.28

Price: 24,000

Cut: G/VG/VG

Color: G

Carat: 2.29

Price: 28,200

Which one do you recommend? I like the first one and the price but is the color too low? The second one seems like a decent compromise. Please help! Thanks.

Hi All,

I know the following is a very generalized question and it cannot be answered definitvely in through this forum but I was hoping for some general guidance. I have 3 rocks to choose from...but don't know which one to pick - all are GIA:

Which one do you recommend? I like the first one and the price but is the color too low? The second one seems like a decent compromise. Please help! Thanks.

i would go for the 2nd one. color I is already visibly yellowish so the first stone is out. the cut of the 3rd stone is just good which makes a big diff. compared to the ex or vg rating. the H is still visibly white and has ex/ex/vg rating. so i think that's the best one.

color I is already visibly yellowish

the H is still visibly white

I'm surprised you would have such strong opinions on these 2 colors when they're only one color grade apart.... one is visibly yellow the other is visibly white? I'm sure if I showed you both side by side mounted in rings, you would not be able to tell the difference. Even loose when looking from the top most people would have a hard time picking which is which.

Have you actually seen any diamonds in person before? What you need to do is go to a store and ask to see these 3 colors side by side to see how color sensitive your eyes are. Some people won't notice a difference and then other say they can see a difference.

You will never know until you look.

Spending $23000-$28000 without seeing anything, not even a photo of the stones is incredible.

Edited by jan

Hi All,

When you say cut is ?/?/? which is cut grade, polish and symmetry? I'm assuming Pol/Sym/Grade?

A well cut stone will reflect more white light making the stone appear whiter. Are you dead set on getting 2.28-2.30cts? If you're really concerned abou the color, I'd get 2.0-2.2cts instead 1-2 grades higher like G or H, should be around the same price.