Which One Should I Get?

xya

Hi all,

I've never bought a diamond in my life nor get an engagement ring. I basically got quote from 2 different jewellers here in Australia. Could anyone tell me which one is better or perhaps neither is good? Both diamonds are GIA-certified.

Thanks.

Diamond 1 Specs:

Round Brilliant

Measurements: 5.03 - 5.08 x 3.15 mm

Carat Weight: 0.50

Color Grade: F

Clarity Grade: VS2

Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:

Depth: 62.3 %

Table: 57 %

Crown Angle: 35°

Crown Height: 15 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43 %

Star length: 50 %

Lower Half: 80 %

Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted

Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None

Clarity Characteristics: Feather

Price: AUD$2150

Diamond 2 Specs:

Round Brilliant

Measurements: 5.13 - 5.16 x 3.20 mm

Carat Weight: 0.52

Color Grade: F

Clarity Grade: VS2

Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:

Depth: 62.2 %

Table: 58 %

Crown Angle: 35.5°

Crown Height: 15.5 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43 %

Star length: 50 %

Lower Half: 80 %

Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted

Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Clarity Characteristics: Cloud

Price: $1940

Buy the one that looks better to your eye. You've seen and compared these diamonds, we have not. Remember she will not be wearing the lab report around her finger, but the diamond.

Trust your eyes.

Buy the one that looks better to your eye. You've seen and compared these diamonds, we have not. Remember she will not be wearing the lab report around her finger, but the diamond.

Trust your eyes.

Thanks Barry. I guess by knowing which of the 2 diamond seems like a better deal, I could then visit that dealer first to have a look. Since I'm intending to surprise my girlfriend with a proposal, it's difficult to take time to shop around. Also, I'm colour blind (red-green), so I can't really trust my judgement at times.

Could anyone help clarify the following:

1) I was told be a jeweller that a 57% table is the best proportion technically.

2) How could I check the amount of light reflection from a diamond? Is there some test?

3) Is there much meaning to the Clarity Characteristic in the GIA report? What's the difference between Feather & Cloud? I imagine cloud would not be so good?

4) How important is Polish & Symmetry? Both diamonds have Excellent cut grade.

• 4 weeks later...

Trust your eyes.

Thanks Barry. I guess by knowing which of the 2 diamond seems like a better deal, I could then visit that dealer first to have a look. Since I'm intending to surprise my girlfriend with a proposal, it's difficult to take time to shop around. Also, I'm colour blind (red-green), so I can't really trust my judgement at times.

1) I was told be a jeweller that a 57% table is the best proportion technically.

2) How could I check the amount of light reflection from a diamond? Is there some test?

3) Is there much meaning to the Clarity Characteristic in the GIA report? What's the difference between Feather & Cloud? I imagine cloud would not be so good?

To the best of my admittedly limited technical knowledge...

1) "technically" there is no single best percentage for any one parameter on a diamond cut. Ranges are generally more appropriate, and while a 57% table is a good sign, a stone with a 57% table but with (say) a pavilion angle of 47 degrees would not be a well cut stone. A diamond is a complex, 3D object, and as far as I know there is no complete model of how light behaves inside it (if such a thing is indeed possible, given all the variables of cut, light source characteristics and orientation etc.). This is why when GIA developed a cut grading model, they used observations on several thousands of real stones to identify good ranges and combinations for all the parameters. And they limited themselves to rounds...

To get an idea of the complexity involved in assessing parameters, this GIA article may be of interest, still remaining readable (well, at least for people interested in diamonds)

http://www.gia.edu/research/1383/2280/article_detail.cfm

2) Several tools are available, but as far as I know due to cost and availability the serious ones are restricted to professionals (Sarin machines, ASET models). If you don't want to or can't use an indipendent appraiser (and given your budget I don't know if it's going to be worth it), look at the stones and trust your eyes, it's generally a pretty reliable indication once you have ticked all the "measurable" boxes. Theoretically, holding the diamond against a flat surface and firing a laser pointer straight through the table should allow you to see how much light leakage there is; however, the imprecision when holding the pointer by hand at 90 degrees to the table is high. It will make entertaining patterns on the walls, though. :lol:

3) The clarity characteristics are important in two respects: a. they allow identification of the stone; b. they may give you clues about how visible the imperfection will be. However, just knowing the type of inclusion is not enough. Location and, erm, characteristics of the characteristic are important. Is the feather opaque, translucent or black? Does it break the surface or is it buried deep inside the stone? Is the cloud very diffused or concentrated? Does it sit right under the table or is it tucked next to the girdle?

A feather is an area of crystalline defect that blocks the light. A cloud is an aggregation of small defects that are not visibly joined to each other, but are nevertheless close together. Neither one is necessarily a "bad" thing, but it depends on a lot of other factors. Given the stones are both graded VS2, I doubt you'll ever see either characteristic in real life - how many people go around with a jeweller's loupe staring at other people's diamonds?

This guide to feathers by DBL may be useful: http://reviews.ebay.com/Understanding-clar...000000001441250

4) Part of the GIA cut grading assessment includes taking into account polish and simmetry. However... back to ranges. You can't get "excellent" cut if symmetry is below "very good", but an "excellent" symmetry stone will be better in that respect. Again, in real life details of polish and symmetry on diamonds rated good and above will not be visible.

At the end of the day, Barry gave you the best advice - you have found two good stones by all objective and reasonable standards; buy the one that you like the most! Good luck! :rolleyes:

Hi everybody!

xya- the quality of advice you've gotten so far is impressive.

I'm not a fan of machines that purport to judge the cut of a diamond.

I don't really care how a laser reacts with a diamond.

This is at odds with many people in the industry, but I am a very "hands on" person.

Looking at your two choices: I'd go with number two.

Why?

Well, if you've seen them, and like them, you probably also noticed that number 2 was slightly larger than #1

Add the 10% price advantage and that's the clear winner....

Of course I'd ask why of two stones with identical grades- why is the one that's 4% larger 10% less in price?

Anyway, if you love the stone and are comfortable with the dealer you'll be fine with either.