Girdle And Polish/symmetry Help!

AJster

I've about settled on a 3 stone platinum ring from Blue Nile with a 1.02ct Ideal/h/vs2 diamond in the center and two .55ct Ideal/h/vs2 diamonds on the side. I have a couple of questions:

Girdle - the center stone is "Thin to medium, Faceted" and the side stones are "Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted" and "Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted". Is it going to look odd if the girdles are different between the 3 stones? Also, would it look even more odd if I chose a girdle of faceted on the center stone and not on the side stones?

Polish/Symmetry - Would it be noticible if the center stone was Ideal and had Excellent polish/symmetry but the side stones were Ideal and had Very Good polish/symmetry?

Thanks for your help in advance!

AJ

The GIA scale for evaluating girdle thickness goes like this:

Extremely thin

Very thin

Thin

Medium

Slightly thick

Thick

Extremely thick

Visibly you can’t tell the difference without magnification, and sometimes you can’t even tell WITH magnification if you don’t know what to look for. Extremely thin can be a durability risk and extremely thick can cause some wasted weight but overall it’s not a big issue for the look of the stone.

Ideal cutting is an AGS term and they require that both symmetry and polish be also ‘ideal’ in order to get that grade. This tells me something wonky is going on with your grading since they don’t meet this standard. Who called them ‘ideal’? Visibly you won’t be able to tell the difference between Excellent and Very Good polish and symmetry without magnification and without knowing what to look for. It should be a problem for your ring.

Neil

You won't be able to see any difference in the polish and symmetry (finish) grades from excellent to very good and the girdle variances. The girdle variances are minute. More importantly you should be worried about the light performance differences. That you might be able to see. Surprisingly enough, all ideal cut diamonds don't perform or look the same.

More info here:

www.gemex.com

www.isee2.com

Unfortunately Blue Nile won't be able to tell you the differences because they don't measure it. Most of the time they drop ship the stones from the supplier so they also don't see them.

Edited by jan

The GIA scale for evaluating girdle thickness goes like this:

Extremely thin

Very thin

Thin

Medium

Slightly thick

Thick

Extremely thick

Visibly you can’t tell the difference without magnification, and sometimes you can’t even tell WITH magnification if you don’t know what to look for. Extremely thin can be a durability risk and extremely thick can cause some wasted weight but overall it’s not a big issue for the look of the stone.

Ideal cutting is an AGS term and they require that both symmetry and polish be also ‘ideal’ in order to get that grade. This tells me something wonky is going on with your grading since they don’t meet this standard. Who called them ‘ideal’? Visibly you won’t be able to tell the difference between Excellent and Very Good polish and symmetry without magnification and without knowing what to look for. It should be a problem for your ring.

Neil

I've been learning more about diamonds and I thought the same thing. BN has diamonds that are graded Ideal which can have both Polish and Symmetry of Very Good, at least for the side stones that they make available.

AJ

You won't be able to see any difference in the polish and symmetry (finish) grades from excellent to very good and the girdle variances. The girdle variances are minute. More importantly you should be worried about the light performance differences. That you might be able to see. Surprisingly enough, all ideal cut diamonds don't perform or look the same.

More info here:

www.gemex.com

www.isee2.com

Unfortunately Blue Nile won't be able to tell you the differences because they don't measure it. Most of the time they drop ship the stones from the supplier so they also don't see them.

Glad to hear that the facetted and non-facetted girdles won't look out of wack!

AJ

VG vs. EX on Polish and Symmetry can not be detected by the naked eye and sometimes is even very difficult to pick up with a 10X loupe.