Enhanced Blue Diamond Questions

biggiby

I am considering buying an enhanced blue diamond and have a few questions, but here are it's stat's first:

2.2 carats

Radiant cut

SI-1 (enhanced)

fancy deep blue enhanced - (appears blue with a bit of aqua/green as well)

Asking price is approx $7,000

So, my questions are:

1 - Is this a good price for this quality diamond?

2 - What does "enhanced" mean? Inclusions "fixed" or color changed?

3 - What would be a good return offer to make instead of just paying asking price? What should I expect in making offers?

4 - This diamond is appraised by the "National Gemological Laboratories, Inc." in NYC, NY - and I can't seem to find much on them, any advice regarding this (it's not an eBay ring)?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm, well no one else is answering you so I'll give you my opinion....

1) First of all right off the bat, it's enhanced so I already don't like it :rolleyes: (sorry, just being honest) ...... Ehanced (clarity) means that it's been laser drilled or such to remove certain black inclusions. This laser hole is backfilled with a glass epoxy or left open sometimes. Color (enhanced) means it's been irradiated to a non-natural color. A deeply saturated Blue/Green does not resemble a natural blue at all, everyone (who knows diamonds) will immediately know by the color that it's enhanced, unlike clarity enhanced which can pass for natural until someone closely examines it. But if you're OK with that, then great.

2) Because it's enhanced, it's resale value will be very low, so just keep this in mind. If you don't plan to sell later, then great. But if you do, don't be dissapointed to only be offered a couple thousand for it, if that.

3) NGL? Never heard of them. Why don't they send it to a more reputable lab that graded clarity/color enhanced diamonds?

4) SI1 .... is it eye-clean? Is it relatively clean with a loupe? It better be pretty dang clean. Some of these clarity enhanced sellers are very unrealistic with their clarity grades. You're not going to improve an I2 to a VVS1. So when I see something even like SI1 I'm very skeptical.

5) As far as value. Ask yourself what it was before it was enhanced.... II/F? I2/D? From what I understand (someone else can correct me) most DEFG color diamonds come out blueish when irradiated, but it's really hit and miss. So let's assume it was 2.2cts radiant, I2 clarity, D-J color, what's that worth? Somewhere in the $3000-6000 range. So how much are you willing to pay extra to have it clarity and color enhanced?

Edited by Adylon

In the case of the blue color, ‘enhanced’ generally means that the color has been altered using radiation. This change is permanent and has no radiation hazard but it’s hugely important to the pricing of the stone. So much so that the fact that a 2 carat stone doesn’t cost more than your house is evidence that it’s been treated and the only real question is what treatment(s) have been applied. There are a couple of other treatment options but for reasons I don’t want to get into here, they clearly don’t apply to your situation and I think it's a safe guess that we're talking about an irradiated blue.

Clarity enhancement is exactly as Yosef describes. Surface reaching inclusions have been filled with a glasslike material that looks rather like diamond and it reduces the visibility of the inclusion. Everything is still there, it’s just been gussied up a bit. This too is reasonably permanent but it can be damaged during repair and sometimes they will change with prolonged exposure to sunlight. I’m less adamant than Yosef is about never every buying one but you definitely shouldn’t get into one of these without both eyes wide open and it's important to understand the at the 'standard' GIA clarity grading scale does NOT apply and the graders of these things are not standardized. You're betting 7 bills on the word of NGL so it may be worth some homework to decide if they deserve your confidence.

All of this treatment was done to try and make the stone more saleable and there’s a decent chance that it worked. That is to say, it probably started out an I2/P, with a crappy cut, as evidenced by the radiant cut, which is often used to maximize weight, and the 2.02 weight, which is evidence that they were aiming for that two carat mark. For most dealers, this would not be an easy stone to move. The solution is to add some treatments, get some no-name lab to say it’s worth a ton of money and put it on ebay or some similar venue at a 'discount'.

Is it worth $7000? That’s up to you. Look for other similar items for sale. There’s quite a bit of this kind of goods out there. The major Internet diamond sites don’t sell them but ebay, craigslist, local flea markets and the like are full of them. Frankly, this seems awfully high to me given your description.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Thank you for your input. I understand the issues you bring up and I realize that some of you wouldn't buy an enhanced diamond, BUT this is what she really wants, so...

Can I get a general consensus on what you all think would be a good/reasonable counter-offer, on my part, from the original asking price of just over $7,000??

Any additional tips?

Here's someone who is asking $2500 for a 2.02 enhanced blue already in a ring.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/jwl/725216236.html

I, of course, know nothing at all about this ring, this stone or this seller, including such important details as whether it's accurately described or if it even actually exists at all but it's a good first step for a comparable offer. Find a few like this and you can build a defensible case that you could get something similar elsewhere for less money. That in turn gives you something to use to argue with the seller over why they should reconsider their pricing.

Google is a very useful tool for this sort of search.

Neil