.71 Carat Gia Round, Triple X Stone I Would Love A Second Opinion On..

LU_aDaK

I am looking at a very nice micro pave setting, and I am in the middle of the classic GIA vs AGS battle. The Jeweler that I would like to buy the setting from has the GIA stone in question.

Lab: Gia

Shape: Round

Carat: .71

Color: G

Clarity: SI1 (my main concern)

Measurements: 5.73 x 5.76

Triple X (cut, polish, sym)

No Flourescence

$2800

My Aunt and uncle have been shopping with them for over 25 years. So I am confident they are reputable.

My issue is the Clarity, and price. With the setting coming in at 1500, they offered the set to me for 4k. (while originally I only wanted to spend $3500, it has made such a wonderful impression on me that I think I will cough up the extra $.)

To make it more confusing, another very reputable shop in the area is pushing AGS over Gia very hard. Saying GIA comprimises to much on color, and that their stones are "whiter than snow" which they say makes the difference.

I have decided to still with Triple X, or Triple 0... But from what I have read Color to the untrained eye should not be a deal breaker...

Sorry for the confusing, mulitple part question(s). And thank you ahead of time. (Later tonight I am headed back to look at the GIA stone under a microscope, as last time I only had a chance to see it under the magnifying glass, which I am awful with.)

Adam-

:)

GIA EX EX EX and AGS 0 are comparable in my opinion on cut grade. There are differences in light performance on individual stones however. If you want to learn more about that you can go to:

www.gemex.com

www.isee2.com

G is a nice color and all SI1 are different depending on the placement of the inclusions as well as the type. Let us know how it goes under the scope. Good Luck.

Thank you for the post Jan,

I know it is hard to estimate a price without having it in front of you, but $2800 on the rock is not an unfair price correct? The jeweler is "Martin and Martin" of Oak Lawn, Il. The other Jewelery pushing hard on AGS is Newstar of Joliet, IL.

Edited by LU_aDaK

I’m rather fond of the AGS cut standards and I think they are better defined than their GIA counterparts but your question doesn’t seem to be about cut grading, it’s about color. Both labs are very comparable. An AGS-G is not going to be ‘white than snow’ or, for that matter, whiter than a GIA-G but I suppose it depends on where you find the snow. :) One may be marginally less colored than the other but neither one should show any visible tint under normal types of lighting. In the meantime, watch out for that yellow snow.

Neil

Thank you for the post Jan,

I know it is hard to estimate a price without having it in front of you, but $2800 on the rock is not an unfair price correct? The jeweler is "Martin and Martin" of Oak Lawn, Il. The other Jewelery pushing hard on AGS is Newstar of Joliet, IL.

$2800 is a fair price for a SI1 G if it is a AGS0 or GIA EX EX EX, however you can do much better. :) If you want to save quite a bit more ($800) send me an e-mail.

Edited by jan