My "upgrade"

volcomgirl03

I recently purchased an upgrade to my engagement ring, however, the one I purchased was not exactly what I wanted. The manager at the store where I bought it told me he would order some new rings so that I can exchange it for a better one. They were having a "sale" and therefore I needed to buy the ring I didn't want that night so I could exchange it later.

So the one I got is a 2.0 tcw, 3 stone with 6 additional diamonds on the band. It is J-K in color (which is why I want a different one...its too yellow) and SI2-I1 in clarity (i dont like this either). Anyways, I went to look at the rings they got in for me and it was awful. They were both G-H in color (GREAT!!), but I1-I2(WHAT?). I was blown away. Had I known that I would get this quality, I would have never bought the ring in the first place.

I told the manager that I wanted at least a G-H and at least a SI1. So, now I'm waiting for new rings to come in, but he told me for what I want there is a significant increase in the price. How much of an increase should I expect to get at least the minimum I have requested?

Oh and by the way I have already paid approximately $4000 for the one I currently have (J-K and SI2-I1). I'm just curious why he told me he would get what I asked for and then showed me these two...and then told me I'm going to have to pay more.

I am not surprised a bit that G/SI1’s cost more than K/I2’s. Are you? I, of course, have no way of knowing what the store folks told you to expect during your original sales presentation but if they can’t deliver what you expect for the price that you are prepared to pay, consider returning the whole thing and starting over. Are they allowing this as a choice? I think maybe the problem here is that you’ve got unrealistic expectations. This may or may not be the stores fault and it’ll depend on what the salesperson and/or manager told you in the first place when they talked you into buying a ring that you didn't really want, but I think it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to switch straight across and get this sort of upgrade.

Neil

I recently purchased an upgrade to my engagement ring, however, the one I purchased was not exactly what I wanted. The manager at the store where I bought it told me he would order some new rings so that I can exchange it for a better one. They were having a "sale" and therefore I needed to buy the ring I didn't want that night so I could exchange it later.

So the one I got is a 2.0 tcw, 3 stone with 6 additional diamonds on the band. It is J-K in color (which is why I want a different one...its too yellow) and SI2-I1 in clarity (i dont like this either). Anyways, I went to look at the rings they got in for me and it was awful. They were both G-H in color (GREAT!!), but I1-I2(WHAT?). I was blown away. Had I known that I would get this quality, I would have never bought the ring in the first place.

I told the manager that I wanted at least a G-H and at least a SI1. So, now I'm waiting for new rings to come in, but he told me for what I want there is a significant increase in the price. How much of an increase should I expect to get at least the minimum I have requested?

Oh and by the way I have already paid approximately $4000 for the one I currently have (J-K and SI2-I1). I'm just curious why he told me he would get what I asked for and then showed me these two...and then told me I'm going to have to pay more.

This story really upsets me and is exactly why jewelers have such a bad reputation. I hate pushy sales people and I could never do that to anyone who walked into my store. He insisted you buy the ring on the spot to lock in some "sale" price, then tries to get you to take diamonds of worse quality. If I were you I'd get my money back, contact the BBB and file a complaint if he refuses, this is total BS.

I'm sure he'll bring a ring you like in SI1+ H+ then ask you to pay 50% more at least.

Unfortunately you bought J/K SI2/I1 and you're probably going to end up with something of that quality or something of that "worth" like 1.25cts tw instead.

What happened to your original engagement ring? Did you trade that in as well plus pay $4000?

This story really upsets me and is exactly why jewelers have such a bad reputation. I hate pushy sales people and I could never do that to anyone who walked into my store. He insisted you buy the ring on the spot to lock in some "sale" price, then tries to get you to take diamonds of worse quality. If I were you I'd get my money back, contact the BBB and file a complaint if he refuses, this is total BS.

I'm sure he'll bring a ring you like in SI1+ H+ then ask you to pay 50% more at least.

Unfortunately you bought J/K SI2/I1 and you're probably going to end up with something of that quality or something of that "worth" like 1.25cts tw instead.

What happened to your original engagement ring? Did you trade that in as well plus pay $4000?

I did trade in my ring, but thats included in the $4000. So, I have been wearing only my wedding band and I will have to wait to get my new ring. I'm worried that if I ask for my money back I will not get my original ring because they may not have it anymore. I don't know what to do.

I am not surprised a bit that G/SI1’s cost more than K/I2’s. Are you? I, of course, have no way of knowing what the store folks told you to expect during your original sales presentation but if they can’t deliver what you expect for the price that you are prepared to pay, consider returning the whole thing and starting over. Are they allowing this as a choice? I think maybe the problem here is that you’ve got unrealistic expectations. This may or may not be the stores fault and it’ll depend on what the salesperson and/or manager told you in the first place when they talked you into buying a ring that you didn't really want, but I think it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to switch straight across and get this sort of upgrade.

Neil

I'm not surprised that the one I want costs more. My problem is that the night I purchased it I explained to them what I wanted and now they're telling me I have to pay more for it. I bought the ring thinking I would be getting what I wanted and not poor quality diamonds.

I don't mean to come across as harsh. You're in a difficult position. If you can, undo the whole deal and count yourself as lucky to get out with your ring and your wallet intact. As I’m sure you know, it was a mistake to let them talk you into this in the first place and my guess is that this isn’t going to evolve well. If you can get your other ring and the cash back, take it with a smile. If all you can get is cash for both rings, I would still take it and I would still take it and count yourself as having dodged a bullet. You definitely WON’T get either if you don’t ask. Asking soon will increases your chances of getting back the original ring before they take it apart and make something else out of the materials.

My guess is that you’ll be offered neither and you’ll find yourself in the position of having a $4000 non-refundable credit at that particular store where what you really want will cost quite a bit more than that. Even that isn't a total disaster but it depends on what they have (or can order) that you might actually like and that's within your budget. Does the store have a printed refund policy? (usually it’s on the back of the sales receipt). Is the store part of a chain? Were any or all of these quality statements made in writing?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser