Opinions Wanted...

barry smith

Hi, I am in Australia and have done some serious research on buying my girlfriend an engagement ring. After what seems like endless searching I have found a diamond which I like which I hope to get set in a platnimum solataire setting. The diamond has a GIA report and is a princess (or Tiffany Cut) 52 point (.52 carat), VVS2 clarity with an E Colour. I wanted to go for the best colour I could find for the money I had to spend with no visible inclusions.

The dealer I am dealing with states that the diamond is an IDEAL cut. I know through my research that GIA don't grade the cut on Princess Cut Diamonds. I asked the dealer about this and he stated that he does his own grading based on the depth and table measurements of the diamond. I want this rock to really shine and went for the IDEAL cut as per his listing. I am now a bit concerned that it won't 'bling' as good as I hope. Table is 73% and Depth is 73.2%, symmetery is good and polish is excellent. I am confident it is a quality diamond but would like a more independent opinion from a few on line here given the above measurements and polish/symmetery gradings.

BTW, the diamond is $2011 australian which is about $2200 US. I have viewed the GIA report and the diamond is inscribed with the report number. The dealer has a 30 day money back guarantee.

PS, are all GIA diamonds inscribed with the GIA report number?

Many thanks.

Hire an independent appraiser to look at it and give you an opinion. It seems like you’ve answered all of your own questions with the exception of evaluating the cutting and this can not be done without looking at it.

No, the inscription is optional depending on what services were purchased from GIA by whoever it was who hired them. With their 'diamond dossier' service it's part of the bundle and with their 'grading report' service it's extra. It's been available or several years but GIA has been in business for decades and older stones don't have it at all.

Neil

Hi Barry,

You can't just go by a couple of numbers to tell you how much bling the diamond will have. We actually measure that with an instrument called the brilliancescope.

For more info on that technology you can go to:

www.gemex.com

Also there is such a thing as an ideal cut princess cut diamond and AGS grades them. You would need to look for a stone with an AGS lab report.

The price of $2200 for that stone is way overpriced. You can get a really nice AGS ideal princess for about the $1650 range or less in those grades. If you have $2200 to spend you can probably get a larger stone. If you need any help in finding one, you can contact me at:

brokersj@bellsouth.net

Jan,

There are taxes in Australia that need to be added to any stone that is imported there. Presumably the Aussie dealer has already paid these on the stone he/she is selling and a shopper considering an overseas stone would need to include this along with shipping and exchange fees as part of their final costs in deciding what’s the best deal for them. There’s a lot to be said for shopping with a store that’s close to home and although there’s often a bit of a premium often associated with that, this one seems reasonably priced if it’s indeed well cut and accurately graded. I agree that table and depth are insufficient to make any useful conclusion about the quality of cutting.

Neil

Jan,

There are taxes in Australia that need to be added to any stone that is imported there. Presumably the Aussie dealer has already paid these on the stone he/she is selling and a shopper considering an overseas stone would need to include this along with shipping and exchange fees as part of their final costs in deciding what’s the best deal for them. There’s a lot to be said for shopping with a store that’s close to home and although there’s often a bit of a premium often associated with that, this one seems reasonably priced if it’s indeed well cut and accurately graded. I agree that table and depth are insufficient to make any useful conclusion about the quality of cutting.

Neil

Thanks very much for the reponses. i appreciate it. $2011 Australian is the total price for the stone including all taxes. I did my currency conversation incorrectly in the first post as it comes in at $1890 US including taxes. It includes a GIA Certificate 'Diamond Dossier. It has definately been laser inscribed by GIA. I have searched high and low for a similar diamond and that's the best I can find locally... is it still ok on value or is it still a little overpriced?

Edited by barry smith

How much exactly on taxes are you figuring?

That price is taxes all included. $1890 US all taxes paid. I have a platninum setting in mind from a local wholesaler. If I took the diamond and setting into a local jewller, what sort of cost would I be looking at to have the diamond set int he band. The setting is a Tiffany Lucida style solataire. Sorry for so many questions....

Edited by barry smith

If you purchase the diamond and the setting in the same place, you won't have to pay for a setting charge and also won't have to worry about what happens to the stone in the setting process.

If you decide to go the piece work process..... make sure that your setter is taking responsibility for setting the diamond. Many won't if not purchased from them. Princess cuts can be tricky while setting and a lot of times chips on the corners etc happen during the setting process.