Database Queries

denverappraiser

Hermann,

Just a question. Is it possible to adjust the sort parameters on the data queries? You’ve got it so that people can sort by depth and table, which aren’t really very useful and you’ve got ‘lab’ greyed out. Eliminating D&T from the searchable categories and replacing them with the ability to search or filter using cut and lab would be a really useful upgrade. I understand that 'cut' isn't one of the categories that the dealers upload and would therefore be more complicated to implement but 'lab' should be pretty easy since the data is already there.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Easy enough to do, but I'm not sure it's what you really want. If we make Cert sortable, that gives you the ability to filter by AGS and really nothing else because it will take too long to get to the bottom down to GIA, and besides, the search always truncates after a certain number of diamonds.

Perhaps what you're really asking for is to *filter* by particular certs? AGS and GIA for sure, and perhaps EGL as well?

I and others routinely advise people to search the database looking for comparable stones to one that someone is considering as part of the shopping process. The usual advice is to look for GIA & AGSL stones only and, depending on the cut, looking for a particular cut grade like GIA-excellent as a subset of that. I understand that the cut grade question requires more data from your dealers and that it may involve data that they don’t have but the lab is already there. Encouraging your dealers to provide more data seems helpful and would be self-rewarding because they stones with more data are likely to come up more often in user searches and, presumably, be more likely to sell. It may take little more on your part than to make it possible to include cut information in order to get them to do it on a fair number of stones.

I would also recommend some kind of field saying how many results there were and how many were truncated so that the searcher can change their criteria to narrow it down a bit. When I search for 1.00-1.02 SI1/G, admittedly a category where you would expect a lot of stones, I see 10 pages of results varying in price by more than a factor of 3 and with no clue what may have been truncated from that but my guess is that it's at least half. It’s wickedly difficult for a consumer to narrow this down to the ONE stone they want to buy or even a few stones they want to consider. They’ve already made something of an arbitrary sort because most people who would be happy with a 1.02 would be equally happy with a 1.03 and created this boundary purely as a way of narrowing down the results. Some tools to help with would be helpful and a few would be easy. Allowing the searcher to choose which lab(s), which dealer(s), and what price ranges to consider seems like it would be helpful. The current ability to use depth and table for this purpose is, if anything, a bit deceptive because people think they are making an informed selection when they are effectively ruling out large blocks of stones more or less at random, rather like the elimination of the 1.03’s in the example above.

A tool that might be useful, or at least entertaining, would be a graph with the distribution of the stones from the query with #of stones on the y axis and price on the x axis and with a different colored line representing each lab that they've chosen to include. If people find the query produces too many results they can use this to narrow down the parameters.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

It sounds like a filter, not a sort, is the proper way to handle the certs.

Which additional cut parameters would you recommend I ask for? And how reasonably could vendors provide them?

It is easy enough to provide a search summary, i.e., "483,948 results, but only the first 10,000 shown".

Not so easy to do the graph you described (or any graph for that matter). That would (1) require that the user have a plug-in like Flash (which I'm not too keen on), and (2) require that I actually learn how to program in Flash (again, not too keen on that either). Maybe some day... :-)

Feel free to email me and let's discuss offline. I am in the midst of adding enhancements to the site so now is definitely the time for ideas.

Yes, I knew that was a Flash application, and I know that Flash is a pain. People doing research really do like to play with that sort of thing but I don't know how difficult it is to do. You may be able to hire someone else to do it instead of learning yourself.

The minimum cut thing would be the cut grade assigned by by the various labs. The whole GIA cut grading system is new since you last updated. It would be easy to provide if they wanted although some many may not want to because it will increase the interest in well cut stones, presumably at the expense of poorly cut ones.

Neil