Gia Vs. Ags

south

This has been debated on here but I guess I need to hear it again. Why is it that when I walk into a jeweler and ask to see AGS they all tell me they either don’t have it or they prefer GIA? From everything I have read on this board AGS holds stones to a higher standard when it comes to their Ideal vs. GIA Excellent.

Why do the jewelers, dealers directly contradict what everyone on here says?

Perhaps it is that G.I.A. has been around a whole lot longer as a grading lab. A.G.S. as a grading lab is not more than a decade. Many jewelers aren`t that familiar with them as lab and tend to go with the better known G.I.A.

Plus in terms of volume there are many more GIA stones available then AGS, even in round. You'll find at least 10x as many round stones with GIA paper vs AGS. AGS in Princess are very hard to find at the moment since their AGS000 Ideal Princess grade is still new to the market... and other shapes are rarely sent there.

GIA, EGL-USA, AND EGL-INT'L have a much bigger slice of the pie. Even IGI and HRD probably have more market share then AGS if I were to guess. I'm sure that will change over time since AGS is so innovative in their product offerings and has built up a good reputation with a fast turn around time.

Edited by Adylon

I wouldn’t say everyone, since most of the regulars here other than me are dealers but some good advice has been given above. I’ll add to that that the task of advisors here, and in other forums is different. The vast majority of shoppers who ask questions in this forum are considering buying a diamond sight unseen, based purely on the contents of the lab report. Most shoppers in stores are buying a diamond based on how it looks in the stores lighting environment and the lab report is presented as evidence that it’s a ‘good deal’. These are vastly different approaches and lead to different lab requirements. Internet merchants are generally perceived as less credible in their advice and more likely to be up to something underhanded while B&M stores are seen as more expensive. Both of these may be inaccurate but both sides wish to use the labs to bolster their real or perceived weaknesses. For a sight-unseen purchase where you want to be 100% sure of what you are getting without the need to rely on the dealer's advice, AGS-0 is the way to maximize that with GIA-Ex right behind. Few land based stores are selling this.

Neil

I prefer GIA first for many reasons that I care not list . I feel they are unbiased in their grading system.

AGS usually is very stringent on their color and clarity grades, so there is something to be said for that.

There are lots of things that go on behind the scenes that I can't mention but have seen over the years.