Please Help This College Student On A Princess Cut!

uga21

Hey guys, I'm still in school and I'm going to graduate in a year. I've been shopping for rings for a while now. I think I have found a good one. My budget for the diamond is $6500. I found this one and it is $6300. Can you please give me some advice or suggestions on it? I'm attaching the certificate. Just incase you can't see it, the dimensions are as follows:

Princess: 1.34 carats, F, si1 (GIA)

polish and symmetry very good

fluorescence: none

And what does this mean?:

"additional clouds are not shown, surface graining is not shown"

The table appears to be 73%, depth 73%

Measurements are 6.04-6.04 X 4.45 mm

I'm concerned that it says "thin to extremely thick." Is that really bad??

Am I getting a good deal? Please help. And if I should negotiate, how much is fair? Thank you so much!

post-115702-1213381467_thumb.jpg

Edited by uga21

There’s not really much to tell you without seeing the stone. I’m going to assume from the GIA that the clarity, color and weight are accurate and there’s not enough information available to talk about the cutting.

The price seems reasonable but you can compare to others using the utility at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’. Even if you have no intention of buying on line this can be a helpful tool for deciding what things cost the highly competitive market here.

No, the girdle is hot evidence of a problem although 'extremely thick' can sometimes be hiding weight that you don't get the benefit of.

Neil

The girdle is definitely one reason that I wouldn't purchase this stone for inventory. Princess cut diamonds are highly vulnerable in setting and wearing. Also the lab report is slightly old. How is the SI1 in clarity? Have you seen it under a microscope or is it eye clean? Are there better stones available in the budget, most certainly.

I have seen it and I do like it. I can't see a scratch on it with the naked eye. There is a small one close to the center if you use a loupe, but I don't plan on looking at it through a loupe all the time! The girdle is scaring me though, hopefully I can find another one in my price range. If I tell the jeweler I want a diamond with the same dimensions but a better girdle, how much will that typically offset the price? Thank you so much guys, I appreciate this so much!

A partially thin girdle, to the extent that it’s a problem at all, is primarily a problem first for the setting jeweler and second for your insurance company. The worry is an increased risk of breakage. Choose a jeweler who accepts this risk as part of their setting fee while it’s in their possession and choose an insurance company who covers breakage under their list of covered risks (most do). Then don’t worry so much about it. By the way, the scale has two grades below thin, extremely thin and very thin. ‘Thin’ does not mean ‘knife edge’.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I need help now! I have 2 options.

Option 1:

1.34 princess cut, E color, S1 clarity, premium cut for $6100

Option 2:

the same diamond I listed in the previous post, but now they said they would have a cutter come in and make the girdle perfect all around. Plus they lowered the price to $5800.

What should I do????!?!?!?!

If they polish the girdle to be "perfect" as they said, it will most likely lose some carat weight and will not match the GIA report either. If they are talking about polishing the thin portion to be extremely thick, like the rest of the girdle, it still won`t be "perfect". Sounds kind of sketchy when you throw in the price reduction on top of that.

I think I would require more info on the second one if it was me. How square is it`s measurements, crown height, pavilion depth, girdle, clarity features ? What is the definition of premium cut they are using, and what makes it a premium ? How is it`s light return ?

Edited by Bradley

Guys I need help now! I have 2 options.

Option 1:

1.34 princess cut, E color, S1 clarity, premium cut for $6100

Option 2:

the same diamond I listed in the previous post, but now they said they would have a cutter come in and make the girdle perfect all around. Plus they lowered the price to $5800.

What should I do????!?!?!?!

Recutting is a can of worms and you should avoid it. IF there is a better stone to be made by sending it back to the cutter, let the dealer do it and let them make some profits as a result. There are some expenses that you may not be considering like redoing the lab work and shipping insurance, there are some risks that you may not be considering and the results are far from guaranteed.

Neil