Should I Buy This Diamond..help

jtesq2009

Hi,

Has the seller made you aware of the differnces between EGL and GIA reports?

There's really a big difference.

THe diamond looks a bit deep, going only by the measurements.

He has... i am after a good deal... i feel that GIA stones are actually overpriced... attached are some pictures 10X magnification that the seller sent me... As for this diamond being a bit deep... Still it fit in the AGS 2 parameters, HRD, GIA facetware very good, EGL ideal, ect....

post-115635-1212431453_thumb.jpg

post-115635-1212431470_thumb.jpg

Hi Josh,

It may indeed be lovely but I'm a little confused at some of your comments. You don't have enough information here for either AGS cut grading or GIA facetware so where did you get this info? What does HRD have to do with it?

Regarding the deal. Far be it from me to question the grading on a stone that I haven't seen but I would point out that you are putting a high level of confidence in the lab here. A single grade variation in either clarity or color on a stone like this would result in more than a $1000 difference in the price. As you point out, GIA branding sells at a premium and GIA would charge a mere $100 to grade this stone (plus shipping) and do it in about 2 weeks. IF it had GIA paperwork that agreed with your facts, they could get thousands more for it so why would a thinking jeweler choose EGLUSA for this particular stone?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

I would say no based on the depth percentage, diameter of the diamond and based on your photos. The stone doesn't look like an F color to me or an SI1 based on your photos. If you just want to purchase EGL papers, there are some out there with better proportions in that same price range. But again, don't expect a real SI1 F from an EGL paper. That is why they cost less. The grades are not on par with GIA and AGS.

GIA graded diamonds "overpriced"???

Are you looking to by a quality diamond or bottom fishing?

You may be paying less in dollar terms for EGL paper but you're getting less diamond. EGL color/clarity grades can be off by 1-2 grades, meaning you are actually paying more money for less diamond.

Stick with GIA or AGS lab grading reports.

Edited by barry

Hi,

He has... i am after a good deal... i feel that GIA stones are actually overpriced...

I think what we have here is a seller using misinformation to attempt to sell a diamond- which highlights the danger of the substandard GIA report.

For example:

Seller one is offering a diamond graded G/VS1 by a non GIA lab for $5000

Seller two is offering a diamond graded H/SI1 by GIA for $5500

Ostensibly, seller two is "overpriced"- which is what jtesq2009 is implying.

BUT- what if seller one's diamond is actually a badly cut H/SI1 ( if GIA had graded it) which would be a very difficult sale to a buyer looking for quality. Seller number one's diamond might have a real market value of $4500 AND might be a very tough sale at that. If and when the buyer decided to sell the diamond, thge value of the GIA report would become far more clear.

Meanwhile, seller two's diamond is a desirable diamond with a market value of $5500.

If seller number one can find a sucker, he's going to have more profit than seller number 2!

Hi,

He has... i am after a good deal... i feel that GIA stones are actually overpriced...

I think what we have here is a seller using misinformation to attempt to sell a diamond- which highlights the danger of the substandard GIA report.

For example:

Seller one is offering a diamond graded G/VS1 by a non GIA lab for $5000

Seller two is offering a diamond graded H/SI1 by GIA for $5500

Ostensibly, seller two is "overpriced"- which is what jtesq2009 is implying.

BUT- what if seller one's diamond is actually a badly cut H/SI1 ( if GIA had graded it) which would be a very difficult sale to a buyer looking for quality. Seller number one's diamond might have a real market value of $4500 AND might be a very tough sale at that. If and when the buyer decided to sell the diamond, thge value of the GIA report would become far more clear.

Meanwhile, seller two's diamond is a desirable diamond with a market value of $5500.

If seller number one can find a sucker, he's going to have more profit than seller number 2!

Precisely my experience. Once you have a range of diamonds that you are sure have excellent cut/symmetry (as certified by AGS or GIA), then find a size/color/clarity that fit your budget. Internet search tools will allow you to set a multitude of parameters in your search. The key is knowing what to ask. If you are uncertain and don't want to invest the time learning, GIA excellent and AGS ideal diamonds are a reliable place to start.