Please Help Me To Choose My Engagement Diamond !

Mannou

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this great website it is full of very helpful information.

I am currently looking for a loose round brilliant diamond for my engagement (my GF already chose a special setting..).

I wanted to know first if the diamond that I choose is laser inscripted if it will help me to insure that the jeweler will not exchange it when installing it?

I found those 3 alternatives in BlueNile and I was wondering if you can give me some feedback concerning those choices

and which one would be the best. All of them are GIA certified.

Choice 1

Carat weight: 0.74

Cut: Ideal

Colour: G

Clarity: VS1

Depth %: 60.8%

Table %: 58%

Symmetry: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Medium

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 5.84 x 5.87 x 3.56 mm

Price: C$3,261

Choice 2

Carat weight: 0.75

Clarity: VS1

Depth %: 62.3%

Table %: 55%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Thin to medium

Culet: Pointed

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 5.81 x 5.90 x 3.64 mm

Price: C$3,351

Choice 3

Carat weight: 0.75

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 60.1%

Table %: 58%

Symmetry: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Medium

Culet: None

Fluorescence: Faint

Measurements: 5.92 x 5.97 x 3.57 mm

Price: C$3,300

As I know that BN is a drop shop place I was wondering if anyone on this website can suggest me other choices at a better price (I am located in Canada so I need someone able to sell and shop to Canada).

Thanks

Mo

Hi Mannou,

Laser inscriptions are sort of handy as a thing to look for but the other details about the stone are usually easier to find. Inspect your stone and learn what it looks like and you should have little trouble recognizing it whether there is an inscription or not. The inscriptions do tend to make people more comfortable about leaving their diamond with a stranger and that's good but, in practice, your risk of a jeweler stealing your stone is really both pretty low and an insurable loss in any case. Get a good appraisal, get an insurance policy and then don't worry too much about it either way.

Neil

Hi Mannou,

Laser inscriptions are sort of handy as a thing to look for but the other details about the stone are usually easier to find. Inspect your stone and learn what it looks like and you should have little trouble recognizing it whether there is an inscription or not. The inscriptions do tend to make people more comfortable about leaving their diamond with a stranger and that's good but, in practice, your risk of a jeweler stealing your stone is really both pretty low and an insurable loss in any case. Get a good appraisal, get an insurance policy and then don't worry too much about it either way.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I was wondering if you could help me with the three choices I found on BN. Or may be you can suggest me other dealers in the US or on internet. I am looking for a nice loose diamond around 0.75 carat and my budget is 3500$

Thanks

Mannou

I count it as a conflict of interest for appraisers to be recommending specific jewelers so, no, I won't do it. There are TONS of dropshippers like BN out there as well as others who offer a stepped up service where someone actually looks at the stone before they sell it to you. The database at the top of the page titled 'find online jeweler' is a good place to start as is reading through the forum looking for advice from people you find to be helpful. You can recognize the dealers by the 'verified jeweler' label below their pictures or by the links that they insert at the bottom of each post.

I also avoid comment on diamonds I haven't seen but there are others here who may want to comment on the ones you've chosen.

Neil

If we can be of help feel free to contact us. We can send you photos and light performance analysis on the diamond and we also ship to Canada. :ph34r:

Hi jan,

Thanks for your email.

Can you please let me know how can I contact you. In fact, I am not able to send you a PM message or email using the forum.

Thanks

Mannou

Edited by Mannou

Click on the link below her name at the end of her post titled 'Diamond Brokers of Florida' and it'll take you directly to her website. I'm sure you can find her direct contact information there. You also might consider editing out your email address from you post. That sort of thing in public forums has proven to be a major source of addresses for the spammers.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...