Help Need Advice! Blue Nile Agsl Ideal!

SecretAgentMan

Alright guys, help! Just started looking and trying to see how this stacks up and what the advice is on it.

How big of a difference does AGSL vs. GIA make? Help help help! thanks!

Ideal Cut.

I Color

VS2 Clarity

.96 Carat

Depth%: 61.5

Table%: 55.4

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Medium to very thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.32 x 6.37 x 3.91mm

Price: $3,628

HELP!

Edited by SecretAgentMan

How big of a difference does AGSL vs. GIA make? Help help help! thanks!

Personally I like AGSL. The biggest criticism of them is that their cut grading system assigns ‘ideal’ to a fairly narrow set of stones that excludes some stones that a lot of people like. GIA’s ‘excellent’ grade is far more inclusive. This, of course, can also be seen as a feature. You are being much more specific with an AGS-0 and if you’re buying blind you are more likely to end up with exactly what you are expecting by using this as a spec. AGSL graded stones generally seem to sell for a slight premium over similarly graded GIA stones and GIA graded stones are quite a bit easier to find so there’s more selection available. In the end, both are excellent labs and stones given their top grade will almost certainly be lovely.

Neil

I just ordered and recieved my Blue Nile stone, set in a 4-prong Tiff. It was certified by AGS and I am VERY happy with how it looks. It was a 1.56, ideal, J, SI1. The brilliance is gorgeous, the color looks "whiter" than a J, and I cannot see any inclusions with the naked eye. In fact, viewing it under a loop and at the inclusions mapped on the report, I believe it to be comparable to previous VS2's I have seen while shopping for rings.

I admit I was nervous about buying a stone that was not cert'd by GIA, but I gained confidence in Blue Nile through my conversation with their customer service staff that I knew I was getting a quality stone. I wholeheartedly recommend you purchase through Blue Nile.

I rather carefully avoid answering questions like that on stones I haven’t seen but it’s easy to do some shopping yourself. One of the nice things about Blue Nile is that they are VERY public about their pricing and they have tons of competitors who are similarly public. There’s a database at the top of the page titled’ find online jeweler’ that you may find useful in fishing for alternative offers.

Neil

I disagree.

If a company actually posts photos AND prices, that would make a huge difference.

When you look at the lists of diamonds being offered, there are discrepancies which are not easy to explain.

For example, many search results will include two ostensibly identical ( or at least graded the same) diamonds with thousands of dollars difference between the two.

There's no explanation online about this.

I doubt that A.G.S. gave this diamond an Ideal cut grade with a very thick girdle. That is something that B.N. must have listed in their discription. A.G.S.L changed how they expressed the girdle measurements percentages on their reports a few years back.

• 2 years later...

Even with reassurance from the jeweler/vendor, I don't think I would be comfortable buying a stone that was not GIA certified. It just seems like the more research I do and the more I read, GIA is the most trustworthy and the most respected in the industry. Knowing that their grading standards are the strictest and that they developed the 4 C's in the first place, why take the risk of going with another grading lab?

Laura,

GIA has an excellent reputation for applying the rules consistently but I think it's not correct to say that they have the strictest standards, especially with regard to cutting. Their cut grade has 5 grades, Excellent - Poor. Realistically speaking, the bottom 2 don't commercially exist (fair and poor) in that you would hard pressed to find one even if you were looking for it. The middle one, Good, is occasionally out there but X and VG make up for upwards of 80% of the stones graded by the lab so, for practical purposes, it's a scale with only 2 choices. I would not describe that as especially strict.

By the way, this was a 2008 discussion. Why did you decide to resurrect it?

There is someone - hopefully a genuine poster, but I'm starting to have doubts - who seems to make a point of only commenting on GIA as the source of the Truth. Not a dialogue, single post only, and resurrecting old threads. Same pattern on other forums, though with different IDs (not that it means much).