Please Give Me Advice On This Engagement Ring

Beck

Hello All,

I have been dating my girlfriend for 5 1/2 years and now am ready for the next step, engagement. Can you please give me advice on this engagement ring. I'm pretty set on this one, but would like to know other people's thoughts.

The diamond: Hearts on Fire, .72ct Dream, H, VS2

The setting: Memoire petit prong, 18k white gold, .30ct

Price: $5,000.00

This is a local jeweler and a somewhat friend of the family. I really would like to buy it from this guy. Please give me some advice.

Thank You

HI Beck,

Congratulations!

If you want to patronize this jeweler, you should.

You've come asking questions which are bound to introduce doubt into the process...

I hate to do that.

Still you asked: It's most important that you love the diamond. Have you seen it?

In terms of price, you are paying a pretty hefty premium to buy from your friend.

Even compared to more competitive brick and mortar stores- and certainly compared to a quality internet diamond seller.

Agree with David 100%

You have seen this diamond. We have not. If you like it, buy it.

You are paying a very hefty premium for a HOF Branded diamond. If you're comfortable with this, that's key.

Good Luck.

I'm not so sure you are paying a hefty premium. How much is the diamond? How much is the setting?

The diamond is a Square Brilliant cut. It is $3700.

The setting is $1300.

I have seen it and it looks beautiful. He was telling me how Hearts on Fire diamonds are perfectly cut, in 30 years he has only seen like 3 side stones come off of a Memoire setting, etc. The guy is not really a friend, but he grew up with my Dad's cousin so he knows the family. I just like supporting local businesses and he seems like a trustworthy fellow.

The rock is slightly smaller than the princess cut, but NOTICEABLY shines better.

Crap, now I'm thinking I'm not getting a good price and should look elsewhere...

The setting is in line. The diamond may be slightly high but it is a hearts on fire dream cut so those do run more, and the only place you can buy them is a hearts on fire authorized vendor usually. Make sure you get a nice upgrade policy in the future on the diamond.

I'm not so sure you are paying a hefty premium. How much is the diamond? How much is the setting?

The diamond is a Square Brilliant cut. It is $3700.

The setting is $1300.

I have seen it and it looks beautiful. He was telling me how Hearts on Fire diamonds are perfectly cut, in 30 years he has only seen like 3 side stones come off of a Memoire setting, etc. The guy is not really a friend, but he grew up with my Dad's cousin so he knows the family. I just like supporting local businesses and he seems like a trustworthy fellow.

The rock is slightly smaller than the princess cut, but NOTICEABLY shines better.

Crap, now I'm thinking I'm not getting a good price and should look elsewhere...

The price looks ok to me.

I too am a big fan of supporting your neighbors businesses. Aside from the benefits associated with ease of maintenance, the ability to actually see what you're buying and the advantages for future shopping as a place you can call ‘your’ jeweler, there are more nebulous things like the benefits that come to you and your community from your neighbor actually having a job and him/her being able to patronize your own place of business. The job you save may be your own.

I’m not familiar with the brand names HoF uses for their settings and the whole ‘worlds most perfectly cut diamond’ is a bit of sales puffery in the same way that BMW is the ‘ultimate driving machine’ but HoF is a high quality line and those prices don’t seem out of line to me. There are other jewelers and cutting houses who will work for cheaper and it’s certainly possible that you would be satisfied with what they have to offer but I would be surprised to see someone else willing to sell a genuine HoF for significantly less and there are plenty who would charge more.

Neil

the benefits that come to you and your community from your neighbor actually having a job and him/her being able to patronize your own place of business. The job you save may be your own.

All due respect Neil, but isn't this kind of like trying to prop up the Buggy Whip industry at the turn of the last centruy?

Many people involved in horses, buggys, whips, etc. lost jobs when cars became popular.

Of course subsequently many people were employed by the Autombile industry.

The internet offers real efficiency that make finanacial sense. In fact, there's a lot of folks earning a much better living today due to this efficiency.

I am certainly NOT trying to discourage folks from patronizing local stores.

But the horse is out of the barn....

Hearts on Fire dream cut diamonds are sold only to retailers with stores. So it would be highly unlikely to find a Dream Cut diamond Hearts on Fire diamond on the internet, unless someone got a hold of one because they purchased maybe a store going out of buisness and their inventory was purchased as a large lot.

I happen to have one available but in a VS2 J color for $2200. That is how this particular stone was obtained and not purchased directly from Hearts on Fire. Hearts on Fire does charge retailers a premium as well.

Edited by jan

HI Beck- As I ( and others) have said- if you're comfortable with this store, by all means, go for it!

BUT- a discussion of this nature needs to include the possiblities.

90a.JPG

We use photos like the one above to show the diamonds we sell to clients.

Some people MUST touch the stone in person, and for them, a store is neccesary.

On the other hand, many people take advantage of the incredible increase in efficiency internet diamond buying represents, and save a lot of money shopping online.

Which is right for you? Only you can decide.