Hello folks,

I am looking to buy a asscher cut diamond rated below from DeBeers:

2.01ct

G, VS2

7.01 x 7.08 x 4.47

polish and symmetry excellent

price: $29k

Cert: GIA

I have looked through many stores including mom & pop, tiffany, cartier and Bailey Banks and none came close to DeBeers with its brilliant cuts / facets.

What do you guys think about DeBeers and its diamond? I called bluenile requesting for an actual picture of their diamond and they failed to produce any.

For the price, I may look for a colored diamond at 1 carat. Any ideas where I can look for to look at colored diamond online or B&M in NY.

Thanks

post-115561-1211242475.jpg

Flipflopping between a 2 carat Asscher and a 1 carat unspecified fancy is quite a range. Have you chosen the ring style yet?

There’s not really enough info to say much about the diamond but your description suggests that you were pretty impressed in person and that’s a pretty good sign.

Asscher’s vary quite a bit from one to the next and there’s not enough information on the lab report to separate them. The first step is to buy from a dealer who you trust to do this before you even show up, and the second step is to actually look at the stone and apply your own judgment. DeBeers charges a pretty healthy premium for their selection process but you seem to be happy with the results. It’s up to you to decide if it’s worth the price. Aggressive shopping stands to save you thousands of dollars but it is a bit of work and some people find it frustrating. It’s true that BN can’t give you photos but they have lots of competitors who are better about this sort of thing. Although it's true that most stores don't stock a lot of 2 carat Asschers to choose from, they should be happy to work with to to get something in.

For your fancy, how about an online dealer of fancy colors with an office in NY? David from Diamondsbylauren.com may be just who you’re looking for.

Neil

hey denver,

thanks for the info.

How do you appraise the diamond? Does the price of the diamond cost more if it is from Tiffany? Or perhaps DeBeers or Cartier compared to B&M store or online store? Do you go by GIA report as a starting point?

what is your opinion about Debeers diamond? I compared it agasinst tiffany and cartier and I found that debeers have better cut and brilliance.

Thanks.

Edited by gizzie

For insurance replacement documents, which is what a majority of appraisals are designed for, demonstrable branding is a perfectly valid value characteristic. A Tiffany ring is only being replaced by another of ‘like kind and quality’ if it’s another Tiffany ring. A knockoff would not be acceptable even if it were of superior quality. The same holds true for Cartier, DeBeers or John Atencio (a local designer here in Colorado). Since the replacement MUST be done at DeBeers, Tiffany or whatever, the appraisal question becomes one of deciding what is DeBeers likely to charge for something comparable and the paperwork and records demonstrating that you have a genuine whateveritis and the comps that support that they are not only asking for high prices but getting them are as important to the value conclusion as the gemological properties.

DeBeers did not make the diamond. God did that. DeBeers probably didn’t cut it either although I can’t venture to guess who did and I’m happy to take your word for it that they did a lovely job. What DeBeers did was select it and present in an attractive way. I have no doubt that some diamonds at DeBeers are more beautiful than some diamonds that you can get elsewhere but I would not generalize beyond that. Each stone, each dealer and each deal needs to stand on their own merits.

Neil

Largely it’s a matter of practice and looking at a lot of them to develop your own taste. It’s a bit like looking at paintings and trying to identify the best. The things people look for is the shape and patterning of the ‘windmills’, the light return throughout the piece, the overall outline, the ability of the stone to separate the light into spectral colors and the ‘hall of mirrors’ look.

I use one of these.

http

://www.americangemsociety.org/uploads/...Theory-709.pdf

Others like these.

http://www.gemex.com

As a consumer, use your eyes and the good judgment of your jeweler. That's part of what you're paying them for. If you still have questions after you've chosen one, use an appraiser who has experience with looking at Asschers.

Neil

Was the DeBeers asscher a true asscher cut or a square emerald cut. We carry the Royal Asscher cut diamond which is cut by the Asscher family in Amsterdam. These are quite different from the square emerald cuts and are a patented cut diamond.

Also carry colored diamonds as well. This one just went to London last week to one of our clients. If purchasing direct in New York you will probably pay about 8% sales tax too.post-10-1211296427_thumb.jpg

The above ring was way less than 29,000 in platinum and had a 2.31 VS1 Fancy light yellow center diamond.

post-10-1211296609_thumb.jpg

post-10-1211296622_thumb.jpg

post-10-1211296637_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

Great point about sales tax Jan- I'm sure that anyone who picks up merchandise in Florida will also have to pay applicable sales tax as well.

The tax in New York City is 8.375%- how much is it where you are?

Of course if we ( or anyone) is shipping across state lines it's the responsibility of the buyer to declare and pay tax on the sale- as opposed to the seller's responsibility.

I appreciate Neil's words!

Here's a 2.35carat fancy Light Yellow, set in platinum currently available on our site for $17,450

r2363c.JPG

Edited by diamondsbylauren

• 1 month later...

OK, sorry for the newbie question. What are the differences between what is regarded as "square emerald cut" and the Royal Asscher cut? Any picture examples of the two cuts to view the differences? thanks

Edit: I just read the posting "Asscher/radiant Girdles" and I think it answered my question!

Edited by jt8pearl

OK, sorry for the newbie question. What are the differences between what is regarded as "square emerald cut" and the Royal Asscher cut? Any picture examples of the two cuts to view the differences? thanks

Edit: I just read the posting "Asscher/radiant Girdles" and I think it answered my question!

The differences are huge in my opinion. The Royal Asscher cut has wider corners, smaller table and additional faceting. You can see by the plot differences on these reports the outline and faceting differences.

Also had a client bought off of numbers alone a square emerald cut. It's on the right and the Royal Asscher is on the left. It had nice numbers but was a dud. Faceting can be all over the place on the square emerald cut diamonds.

post-10-1216049242_thumb.jpg

post-10-1216049283_thumb.jpg

Since the definition of "Square Emerald Cut" is far less defined, I believe that Jan's example is misleading.

While it's true that a square emerald cut can have smaller corners, it's not a sure thing- some square emerald cuts have larger corners- and look a lot more lively then the "dud" Jan posted.

The plot diagrams are also misleading- as they are not diamond specific- in other words, two diamonds classified as "Square Emerald Cut" by GIA will have the same diagram on the report- even if they look totally different.

Below is a diamond GIA classified as "Square Emerald Cut"- the diamond has a lot of personality, and life.

203h.JPG

The one below is an unusual "Cut Cornered Square Step Cut" as defined by GIA

r2437b.JPG

Since the definition of "Square Emerald Cut" is far less defined, I believe that Jan's example is misleading.

While it's true that a square emerald cut can have smaller corners, it's not a sure thing- some square emerald cuts have larger corners- and look a lot more lively then the "dud" Jan posted.

The plot diagrams are also misleading- as they are not diamond specific- in other words, two diamonds classified as "Square Emerald Cut" by GIA will have the same diagram on the report- even if they look totally different.

post-114043-1216142108_thumb.jpg

What is "misleading" is the fact that someone represented the above diamond on the right with the " black hole center " as an Asscher. Just like thousands of other diamonds being listed on the web as asschers that are not.

Jan`s photo is not misleading as you say. She actually helped the consumer who had purchased that diamond from another company return it and exchange it for a better looking diamond from the same company. There was no diamond sale for us, just helping the customer. I don`t see how that is misleading the consumer ? Customer gets a better looking diamond.

Edited by Bradley

The differences are huge in my opinion. The Royal Asscher cut has wider corners, smaller table and additional faceting. You can see by the plot differences on these reports the outline and faceting differences.

I was not referring to any specific situation you might have had with a client- I'm sure you guys take great care of your clients.

I never meant to impugn Jan or you- but I still feel that the sentence above could lead people to draw conclusions that are incorrect.

A Royal Asscher has wide corners, additional faceting, and a smaller table than SOME non branded diamonds- but not ALL.

I also disagree with the part about the plot showing these differences- two diamonds with different shaped corners can have the same plot ona GIA report.