Smaller Vs. Larger - Engagement Advice Please

Eggman

Hello, everyone. Found this site and it has been very informative. Thanks for everyone's useful posts. I know there have been alot of "help needed" posts, and I guess I'm adding to the long list. I will likely be popping the question in about 30-60 days, and trying to do my homework before the fateful day. I want to thank everyone for their feedback in advance.

Went to Jared's and found a couple of round solitaires that are IGI graded. I understand this isn't as preferable as the GIA grading, or even the EGL-USA, but that is what they use. Anyhow, there are two stones under consideration, and this is all the information I have on them as of this posting:

1.31 F/VS2 VG/VG 6.91 x 6.95 x 4.38 $11,200

1.58 F/SI2 VG/VG 7.40 x 7.42 x 4.63 $12,300

Both are from their "Leo" line.

I know there are savings to be had by using the online database or other onlines, but I generally can't physically see them as pictures are rare. Plus, and perhaps more to the point, I am getting a trade-in value of some previous rings purchased through Jared's that have compounded nicely for nearing a decade (they give 5% per year extra on the original purchase price). I am also getting the engagement ring and wedding ring set to go along with it.

Based on the above admittably incomplete information, on the cuff of it, would either stone be of equatable value? Are they a good B&M price overall? It is amazing how much bigger the 1.58 vs 1.31 when you hold them side to side. Would spring for the larger one, but I think the smaller is the overall more quality stone.

Advice/comments?

Thanks,

Eggman

Eggman,

IGI is an unreliable source and this gives us very little to work with. We know nothing at all abut the cutting and very little about either the clarity or color, all of which importantly affect the price. This makes for not a very interesting discussion on either the stones or the pricing. You’re right that going up half a millimeter in diameter is a lot, as is going down two grades in clarity and crossing the 1.50ct boundary.

The value of the tradein is an interesting dilemma and it’s correct that you will almost certainly not be able to get as much on the open market. Depending on what you have and what they are offering for it, this may indeed be a persuasive reason to stick with Jared although I would point out that they DO sell stones graded by both GIA and AGS there. I’ve never seen their tradein program and it’s very interesting that it increases at 5% per year. I would LOVE to see a copy of the fine print on this. Could you post us a copy please? How much of the budget for this project is going to be done with tradein credits?

In general, Jared is price competitive with stores around them but this sort of generality does you no more good than your observation that lots of websites don’t provide much in the way of helpful information. How they compare against the ‘average’ store isn’t nearly as important as the details of the deal you are considering and how they might compare with a specific store and/or offer elsewhere. You're not looking for average, you're looking for the top. Narrow down your specs a bit. Is it valuable to you to be over 1.50cts.? Can you live with SI2? How did you decide upon a F color? Are you attached to the extra faceting that Leo uses?

Neil

Eggman,

I would personally stay away from IGI stones. The price is "somewhat" comparable to others but I would shop around first. The price is a little high.

www.whiteflash.com had some on there website you may want to check out.

www.knoxjewelers.com has some also already set if that is what your looking for.

Hello, everyone. Found this site and it has been very informative. Thanks for everyone's useful posts. I know there have been alot of "help needed" posts, and I guess I'm adding to the long list. I will likely be popping the question in about 30-60 days, and trying to do my homework before the fateful day. I want to thank everyone for their feedback in advance.

Went to Jared's and found a couple of round solitaires that are IGI graded. I understand this isn't as preferable as the GIA grading, or even the EGL-USA, but that is what they use. Anyhow, there are two stones under consideration, and this is all the information I have on them as of this posting:

1.31 F/VS2 VG/VG 6.91 x 6.95 x 4.38 $11,200

1.58 F/SI2 VG/VG 7.40 x 7.42 x 4.63 $12,300

Both are from their "Leo" line.

I know there are savings to be had by using the online database or other onlines, but I generally can't physically see them as pictures are rare. Plus, and perhaps more to the point, I am getting a trade-in value of some previous rings purchased through Jared's that have compounded nicely for nearing a decade (they give 5% per year extra on the original purchase price). I am also getting the engagement ring and wedding ring set to go along with it.

Based on the above admittably incomplete information, on the cuff of it, would either stone be of equatable value? Are they a good B&M price overall? It is amazing how much bigger the 1.58 vs 1.31 when you hold them side to side. Would spring for the larger one, but I think the smaller is the overall more quality stone.

Advice/comments?

Thanks,

Eggman

Personally if I was forced to buy one of those 2 stones assuming they are accurately graded (that's a big IF), then I would probably get the VS2 at the lower price.

BUT I would ask Jared's to put in writing that they gaurantee the grade and if you send to GIA and it comes back anything less then advertised you are entitled to a full refund. See what they tell you then.

If you have credit at the store, I would buy a mounting or a pair of studs or something, I certainly wouldn't be forced into a box to buy an IGI graded stone if spending well over $10,000. If you must buy from Jared's, then demand a GIA or AGS graded stone, and demand they be competitive with an online vendor. They can still charge a premium for having a store, offering good local service, etc.... but they should not be gouging you on the price. And if they can't do that, and they refuse to gaurantee the grade of the IGI diamond, then you know what to do I hope.

Best of luck :P

Yosef

Update:

I appreciate everyone's reply and comments. I have thoughtfully reconsidered the diamonds in the original posting. I went back to the location, but this time asked to see GIA/AGS rated diamonds. She was inquisitive as to why, and stated that "some people think that IGI isn't comparable" to the others. I didn't comment. However, I was pleasently suprised that she showed me to this room off the floor, and pulled up a database of GIA/AGS stones! They are there; you just have to ask specifically for them.

We went through numerous options, and she spent the time and effort with me going through them. After a relaxing 1/2 hour or so, she did acquiece and state this was for the more experienced/particular client. No doubt. Anyhow, through this process, I nailed down two in particular; both are $10,400.

-------#1 ----- #2

Carat 1.20 ----- 1.19

Cut Premium ---- Premium

Color G ---- G

Clarity VS2 ---- VS2

Depth 59.1% ---- 61.2%

Table 58.0% ---- 59%

Polish Exc ---- Exc

Symm Exc --- Exc

Girdle Med/Slight ---- Med/Slight Thick

Cutlet none ---- none

Flor none ---- none

Meas 6.90 x 6.95 x 4.09 ---- 6.77 x 6.80 x 4.15

I left feeling a bit better; she did bring out the Leo again and it was sparkly. But the color just didn't match up against the IGI rating, so it made me seriously wary. I found a few settings that I did like though.

After I got home, I checked out the online database on this website. Excellent resource. As fate would have it, BOTH OF THE EXACT SAME STONES are on there! The cost online was about 25% lower! Here are the links for the reports, etc.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=20...mp;item=1166932

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=20...mp;item=1060739

--> Based on this revised information, which of the two appears to be the better value?

You might think this would be a slam-dunk, no-brainer to buy onilne, right? If I didn't have trade-in value on some previously purchased items there, then maybe so. I am receiving about $5075 towards the purchase price of the solitaire from a wedding band, so I will likely still be purchasing through Jared's. For the Engagement Ring/Wedding Ring combo I am interested in, it is a similar situation as I am receiving about $2175 in trade-in for a ring guard. Even with the large markup, the trade-in offsets that. I don't think I would get that much if I just consigned with the other previously purchased pieces, based on another independent/local shop I went to.

So, your opinions are still requested, needed and appreciated. If anything, the confirmed markup values are worth sharing.

Thanks,

Eggman.

Gotta love that internet. :) Armed with a printout from James Allen where they’re selling the exact same stone, you might be able to negotiate a better price from them. It certainly won’t hurt to ask. Another interesting side effect of these big shared vendor lists… If you see something on JA that you think you might like, Jared can probably get it as well (and you can probably fight about the price on that one too).

You identify both stones as having a cut of ‘premium’. This is a term that GIA doesn’t use. I’m guessing you got this from JA, not Jared but either way it didn’t come from GIA. The 1.20 is graded as ‘good’ and the 1.19 is ‘very good’.

Failing some good reason for it, good means bad. There are some exceptions but I wouldn’t touch the 1.20 from the virtual lists because of that grade. I’m something of a cut snob and would steer you towards ‘excellent’ where ‘very good’ is something of a compromise and ‘good’ and ‘fair’ are deal killers.

Can you scan and post the 'terms and conditions' page about the tradeup policy?

Neil

So wait let me make sure I go this right.... the same exact stones sell online for substantially less with more reliable grading reports and higher quality? Who'd have thunk it! :rolleyes:

Now take those print outs and negotiate for a lower price like Neil says. Can you imagine what you would have REALLY gotten with the IGI graded stones? Yikes.

Notice how the 1.20ct they're quoting you now (6.90 x 6.95 x 4.09) is the same face up size as the 1.31ct they quoted you before (6.91 x 6.95 x 4.38). You would have ended up with a more bottom heavy stone and paid more for it. Does Leo know he's selling bottom heavy stones as "ideal cut"??? :rolleyes: Bottom heavy is good for the ladies, not the stones. (sorry I couldn't help myself) :)

Yosef

Eggman- I sincerely hope you get exactly what you want!

It's true that the internet allows an efficiency that an save consumers a lot of money.

But I do believe we're using certain "givens" that just may not actually match reality.

Many sites list diamonds that may not be avialable when someone asks for them.