Should I Buy This Stone??

pumpkin91

I'm looking for some educated opinions on this stone...is it a good one and what do you think its worth? Thanks!

Round Brilliant

7.76x7.81x4.79

1.77 carats

F

VS1

Cut: Excellent

Total Depth: 61.5

Table Size: 57

Crown Angle: 35.5

Crown Height: 15%

Pav Angle: 41.0

Pav Depth: 43.5

Star Length: 55

Lower Half: 80

Thin to Med Girdle, Faceted

Culet: None

VG Polish

Excellent Symmetry

I’m going to guess that the grading is from GIA based on the list of data provided and the specs all look just fine so far. Have you seen it? You can shop for competitive offers by clicking on the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’. It looks like there’s a couple of dealers here selling stones similar to that for roughly $20k depending on how you decide to pay and with a stripped down no-service sort of deal. If you’ve got a dealer who is offering it and wants more for their add-on type services (trade in's, longer inspection period, financing, settings, local showroom, etc, it’s up to you to decide if those features are worth it. Often they are but it really depends on the offer. Can you tell us more about the deal you are considering?

Neil

Hi - thanks for your reply! A local jewler is liquidating, we have it on hold and have gotten down to $16K. It looks fantastic in person (and yes it is GIA certified). My only worry was that it scored a little low on the HCA index that I found online (3.8). It really seems like an awesome deal and it sparkles so much in person!! It is a Lazare (not sure if the matters...)

Lazare is a good company. They’ve been around forever and consistently do excellent work.

Assuming all is as described it’s a great price. My only real concern would be the total lack of recourse associated with buying from a store that’s going out of business. Get a few days worth of return time so that you have the opportunity to have it appraised and checked out to make sure that this assumption is valid and that there is no damage or other such problem but so far this looks good. HCA is irrelevant for your situation.

Neil

It sounds to good to be true- and I mean that literally.

Dealers currently need to pay a lot more than $16k for a diamond of 1.77carats, with a GIA report classifying it as F/VS1, with a cut grade of "Excellent"- why sell it to you for $16k?

I'd have severe doubts that even bare bones sellers offering diamonds from a list would be able to actually come up with that stone to sell at $20k.

HCA is good for...well, nothing.

I'd have severe doubts that even bare bones sellers offering diamonds from a list would be able to actually come up with that stone to sell at $20k.

Here's a dropshipper advertising a GIA/1.77/F/VS1/X for $20,263.

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamond...421&flag=dr

You're correct that there's a possibility that they can't actually get it since they're selling something that they don't actually have or that there's something about it that will be a problem when someone actually looks at it, but I think there's a decent chance that if someone bought this stone, they would both get it and would find it acceptable.

Neil

I'm betting that the diamond would not be available, but if neither of us is willing to order it, it will remain an unanswered question......

If you do a little searching, you'll see that Blue Nile has a stone on their site- 1.76 F/VS1, for $31893, which I'm betting IS available....the least costly comperable stone they show is still over $22k.

I also called a few cutters- it would be pretty easy , if someone actually had such a diamond, to convert it to $16k- by selling to a dealer.

Remember, 1.75-1.99 carat sizes go for substantilly more per carat compared to a 1.50

Many on-line dealers list at absurdly low prices and when you call them they can't get the diamond from the supplier and try to switch you to another diamond. The diamond is drop-shipped to you directly from the manufacturer.

If the price is too good to be true, it's a red flag.

I'd say the $26,000-$28,000 neighborhood is about where you're going to have to be buying a stone like that from an Internet seller nowadays.

Of course I'm talking about a stone with no excuses. Throw in strong blue fluorescence or example, and you can easily be in the $23,000 range.

Knock off a couple of grand if the cut-grade is merely "very good", as opposed to "excellent"

If you can get that stone for $16.500 and it has a GIA lab report, not EGL I would say to buy it. GIA graded isn't always the same as a stone with a GIA lab report.

Most of the stones in that grade that have legitimate GIA lab reports are running $20,000 and up. The only ones I see in that price range of $16500 are ones with EGL lab reports.