Blue Diamonds

BlueD

I am trying, but struggling, to find someone who sells small natural blue diamond no larger than .10 carats 3mm in size. I don't even know where to begin or if getting a natural blue diamond that size is even a possibility.

Most of the blue diamonds I've seen are either very large or have been "treated" or "enhanced", something I am not quite sure I understand at this point. The irradiated ones I have seen seem more teal or green/blue than a true blue.

Any advice or information you could give would be very helpful.

BlueD

I am trying, but struggling, to find someone who sells small natural blue diamond no larger than .10 carats 3mm in size. I don't even know where to begin or if getting a natural blue diamond that size is even a possibility.

Most of the blue diamonds I've seen are either very large or have been "treated" or "enhanced", something I am not quite sure I understand at this point. The irradiated ones I have seen seem more teal or green/blue than a true blue.

Any advice or information you could give would be very helpful.

BlueD

I can check on it for you if you like. We sold one recently that was slightly larger .16 ct.. How many do you need?

post-10-1209565971_thumb.jpg

Hi Jan,

The first image you showed...is that a naturally blue diamond or Irradiated or HPHT diamonds? I am not sure when it comes to Irradiated and HPHT diamonds what that means when it comes to quality and value, nor am I sure what price to expect on a natural blue diamond in the size I am looking for.

I need one at .10 carats 3mm and possibly two more that size or slightly smaller like .07 to fit my ring. I would prefer a sapphire color blue if possible.

Thanks for the help,

BlueD

HI BlueD

R2075.JPG

Above are two Natural Fancy Blue Radiant Cut diamonds, flanking a pink one.

One of the diamonds was .13cts, the other was .11cts.

The price of these stones was about $9k for the pair.

We can show you .10ct rounds which are Natural Blue/Grey for about $800 per stone.

But you will face a few problems:

1) The rounds I'm talking about are far less blue that the radiant cuts in the photo

2) Settings for blue diamonds are a problem.

The reason being that Natural Blue in diamonds is not a "strong" color.

If we were to compare blue to the way a natural yellow diamond looks, faint yellow is easily visible, and will show even more when set in yellow gold.

Faint blue is practially impossible to see, and there's no such thing as "Blue Gold" to bring out the color.

There are other ways, such as using black rhodium, but still, the blue will be faint.

Round .10 diamonds with a lot of natural color ( such as the radiants in the photo) could easily be $3000-$5000 per stone.

The way you're sounding, you want deeper blue stones.

For that, I'm afraid you'll need to go with Sapphires, or Irradiated diamonds

IN terms of value for treaded ones- it's a fraction of what a natural will cost.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

That was a lot of very useful info and I really appreciate it. I have a few follow up questions if you don’t mind. If a natural blue diamond with a lot of color costs 3 -5k I couldn’t afford that right away, but I do plan to eventually purchase one if I can find the right size when the time comes.

For now though…I am not sure what to get…the small sapphires I saw locally seemed…dull? I don’t know if that is just the jeweler I saw or if there are sapphires of a quality that shine in a more diamond-like way. (does that make any sense?)

I have to ask….are irradiated diamonds considered tacky or cheap? I want my ring to be something special and wanted a unique stone so am unsure what to do at this point. If an irradiated diamond is my only option at this time I want to get some that are a blue as possible.

Thanks for all the help,

BlueD

Hi Jan,

The first image you showed...is that a naturally blue diamond or Irradiated or HPHT diamonds? I am not sure when it comes to Irradiated and HPHT diamonds what that means when it comes to quality and value, nor am I sure what price to expect on a natural blue diamond in the size I am looking for.

I need one at .10 carats 3mm and possibly two more that size or slightly smaller like .07 to fit my ring. I would prefer a sapphire color blue if possible.

Thanks for the help,

BlueD

The first pictures was a natural blue diamond. They run alot more than the HPHT diamonds or Irradiated diamonds. I'll check with some of my suppliers to see if they have any.

You might be better off with the HPHT diamonds in your budget range or sapphires. In sapphires you can get some really nice diamond cut ones that will sparkle really nicely.

post-10-1209582386_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

You're quite welcome BlueD!

I know what you mean about sapphires... some of the darker ones are almost opaque.

Below is a photo showing one stone which is too dark, and another one that has life

saphcomp.JPG

It is possible to find smaller stones with such brilliance and color.

In terms of blue diamonds, even if you were to spend 3-5K per stone, they would not be dark blue. The natural colors of diamonds are generally softer and more pastel. To me irradiated diamonds always look fake because the colors are too bright

Which goes to your question about, is it tacky or not to use it irradiated diamonds.... that is really a question of taste.

Finer, or "high street" type of stores, generally will not carry irradiated diamonds. We never carry any nonnatural diamonds, as our business features many natural fancy colored diamonds..... our clients look to us for only natural stones.

However, many people like irradiated diamonds- it is totally up to you!

Thank you both so much for all this guidance. I was going crazy trying to find info that made any sense.

The picture of those two sapphires side by side...the ones I saw at the jewelers definitely looked like the dull one on the left. I would consider a sapphire if I could find a sparkly diamond cut one that would shine. That one you showed Jan was really nice.

The first pictures was a natural blue diamond. They run alot more than the HPHT diamonds or Irradiated diamonds. I'll check with some of my suppliers to see if they have any.

Jan, if you wouldn't mind doing that I would be so grateful.

To give you a better idea of what I am working on it’s my Wedding ring and I wanted something a little more unusual with a Celtic theme. I have never been a fan of solitaire rings...it’s just not my thing. I don't like the stone sticking out of the ring very far.

This image I included is "very" similar to the band I am getting...my ring will be 6.5mm white gold. I want to put a stone in each of the sections I marked in red, but it all comes down to how much I can afford...and I can always add more stones later. I want to start with the center gem, then the two on the far left and right, and in between those I could put a small white diamond. That would total up to 5 gems/ diamonds. I figured if they were going to be small gems I wanted something a bit more spectacular than your average white diamond.

These would all be fairly small gems/diamonds and the lady I spoke with told me that small diamonds do not vary in quality like larger diamonds...is this correct? She had a bag of small diamonds and I have no idea if what she said is true and I just pick any old diamond of her bag? Is there a point when a diamond is so small that you don't worry about quality, cut, etc...somehow that just doesn't seem right?

One last thing…what is a HPHT diamond and how does it compare value-wise to an irradiated diamond?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

BlueD

post-115438-1209586532.jpg

Edited by BlueD

If I had to guess, tiny diamonds aren't worth the grading cost. Also the inclusions would be too small to see. I guess you could look each one under a microscope and just choose the best looking one if they are all the same price :rolleyes:

"Round .10 diamonds with a lot of natural color ( such as the radiants in the photo) could easily be $3000-$5000 per stone."

I heard someone spending $15k on a .23 carat fancy blue diamond. I guess a sapphire might be the best route for you. Way more affordable. Ive seen plenty of rings that have white diamonds and rubies, emeralds, sapphires on the same ring to make it really pretty and colorful :)

I have no idea where to go from here....

BlueD

You need to narrow down your choices and you need some good council. Choose a jeweler to assist you and call them up for specific advice. I'ld start by directly contacting Jan or David since they've already gone out of their way to assist you and earn your business.

Neil

• 10 months later...

The info in this thread is very helpful - thanks to all who provided it. I have a related question regarding small blue diamonds. I am considering adding two to four very small blue diamonds into the setting of an engagement ring. The plan is to have a setting with small white diamonds along the band and a couple of very small blue diamonds embedded in it as various points to make it stand out. I spoke with a jeweler who explained how expensive blue diamonds can be and suggested that I consider a treated blue diamond (I'm assuming she is referring to an irradiated or HPHT diamond) to stay in my price range for the setting. I also saw information on the company D.NEA which offers colored blue diamonds.

If I do decide to purchase one of these (again it will be very small diamond points embedded in the band and likely such a very light color blue that it is only a subtle difference between it and the white diamonds next to it) is there any benefit in using a treated diamond over a man made diamond? Do the irradiated or treated diamonds maintain their color forever or will the color begin to fade with the passage of time? Do the man made diamonds lose their color over time?

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

You're very welcome Chris.

The natural blues- as I've already written- will be extremely subtle in shade.

if you want dramatic, for sure go for irradiated blue.

They are purported to be permanent in color- and indeed- they've been irradiating blue diamonds since ( at least) the 1970's- fading is not a concern.

We only advertise natural diamonds- as there are so many sellers who purposefully blur the line- advertising treated stones with no mention- that I want our site to be only the natural colors.

But we can supply any colored irradiated stone someone wants.

irradiated1.jpg

Above is a box containing a rainbow of treated stones

You're very welcome Chris.

The natural blues- as I've already written- will be extremely subtle in shade.

if you want dramatic, for sure go for irradiated blue.

They are purported to be permanent in color- and indeed- they've been irradiating blue diamonds since ( at least) the 1970's- fading is not a concern.

We only advertise natural diamonds- as there are so many sellers who purposefully blur the line- advertising treated stones with no mention- that I want our site to be only the natural colors.

But we can supply any colored irradiated stone someone wants.

irradiated1.jpg

Above is a box containing a rainbow of treated stones

Thanks David!

Chris,

We have many created blues from .02 to .30cts and can put together matched suites for you, if interested. To have them all size and color matched, .04 and up has the best availability. Our blue color is as-grown and permanent. They will never lose their color or fade. Most of them are 'fancy light blue' or 'fancy blue' and below is a picture showing the different colors available. For price comparison, a .10ct lab-created blue is around $250-300.

post-117574-1238002476_thumb.jpg

Chris,

We have many created blues from .02 to .30cts and can put together matched suites for you, if interested. To have them all size and color matched, .04 and up has the best availability. Our blue color is as-grown and permanent. They will never lose their color or fade. Most of them are 'fancy light blue' or 'fancy blue' and below is a picture showing the different colors available. For price comparison, a .10ct lab-created blue is around $250-300.

post-117574-1238002476_thumb.jpg

Thanks Eric.