Flanders Cut Diamonds

micesu

Do any online jewelers carry these stones or are they strictly B&M only? I have a radiant but love the look of a Flanders diamond. How do they compare fire and sparkle and fire wise to a radiant? I've been reading that some discontinued cuts like the Jubliee have left people in a bind as far as wanting to upgrade in the future, is the Flanders cut at that same risk? The one detracion seems to be that the face up pretty small.

Do any online jewelers carry these stones or are they strictly B&M only? I have a radiant but love the look of a Flanders diamond. How do they compare fire and sparkle and fire wise to a radiant? I've been reading that some discontinued cuts like the Jubliee have left people in a bind as far as wanting to upgrade in the future, is the Flanders cut at that same risk? The one detracion seems to be that the face up pretty small.

Hi- Yes- some of the "boutique" cuts never really took off- and I'm afraid Flanders is one of them.

You may still find some stones left in seller's inventories, but you don't hear much about them anymore.

The good news is that a well cut radiant has just as much fire and sparkle.

That's a cool setting Jan, it looks like the diamond is just floating on top of the ring. How big is that stone pictured? Do Flanders have a set of requirments as far as clarity and color go like the Royal Asschers do? Are higher clarity Flanders cuts IF-VVS harder to come by.

Interesting observation about boutique cuts DBL. It seems that none of the new square stones that have come out in the last 5-6 years have taken off (Lucere, Regent, square h&a, and Jubliee). Will a square h&a stone ever take off? I know Tiffany has one but classic squares still seem to rule. That being said I do love the look of a Flanders.

It’s a funny thing about the world. Computers and robotics make it easier and easier for the cutters to produce new and interesting designs that are fabulous and unique yet, at the same time, marketing such things has become increasingly difficult. Much of this is the fault of the Internet and the desire of customers to buy a commodity product where they can feel they know enough to make a purchase without actually seeing it or without engaging expert services because this has the impression of providing more value for your money. Another piece of it is coming from the labs and the new cut grading systems. Customers who want the best for their beloved (doesn’t everybody) want their stones to be graded with an excellent or ideal cut. GIA only cut grades modern round brilliant cuts and AGS only does a few more. This leaves a whole litany of other choices, like the Flanders, out in the cold. If a square peg doesn’t fit into the round hole, does that mean it’s inferior or can it just be different?

Naturally cutters are interested in making products that are not just lovely but that will sell for them, and this puts a lot of pressure to produce rounds and princesses and avoid newer designs that are less familiar to shoppers. Creativity doesn’t seem to be something that’s valued in diamond design these days. It’s a pity. Sometimes it’s good to color outside the lines. Cutters are using better tools now than they ever have and there are some highly skilled people out there. You would think there would be an explosion of wonderful new cuts but it’s just not happening. There’s nothing special about 58 facet rounds or standard princesses that make them ‘better’ than the other choices but market forces are hammering everything else badly. Will this every change? Who knows, predicting the future is, by definition an impossible task.

Neil

That's a cool setting Jan, it looks like the diamond is just floating on top of the ring. How big is that stone pictured? Do Flanders have a set of requirments as far as clarity and color go like the Royal Asschers do? Are higher clarity Flanders cuts IF-VVS harder to come by.

Interesting observation about boutique cuts DBL. It seems that none of the new square stones that have come out in the last 5-6 years have taken off (Lucere, Regent, square h&a, and Jubliee). Will a square h&a stone ever take off? I know Tiffany has one but classic squares still seem to rule. That being said I do love the look of a Flanders.

The stone in that picture was a .75 ct. SI1 G. They come in a variety of colors and sizes. Yes the higher color and clarities are harder to come by.