Yellow Diamond, Need Clarification

new2diamonds

I am looking to buy a natural yellow diamond for my engagement. I have narrowed my decision down to a radiant cut, around 2 ct, fancy yellow or greater. I want to be sure that I am making the best choice. I am getting some conflicting info while searching the net and was hoping it could be clarified here for me, by you, the experts.

1) Is there a difference between canary and yellow diamonds?

2) Is it usually best to buy the diamond you want then have it mounted or to buy one pre mounted?

3) I have read that "D" white (colorless) diamonds are more valuable than some of the yellow diamonds is this true? If so, in what situations?

4) Any other suggestions or recommendations you could make would be appreciated.

Thanks Much!! :wacko:

I am looking to buy a natural yellow diamond for my engagement. I have narrowed my decision down to a radiant cut, around 2 ct, fancy yellow or greater. I want to be sure that I am making the best choice. I am getting some conflicting info while searching the net and was hoping it could be clarified here for me, by you, the experts.

2) Is it usually best to buy the diamond you want then have it mounted or to buy one pre mounted?

3) I have read that "D" white (colorless) diamonds are more valuable than some of the yellow diamonds is this true? If so, in what situations?

4) Any other suggestions or recommendations you could make would be appreciated.

Thanks Much!! :wacko:

Yes colored diamonds have varying intensities in colors and also some have overtones. I believe the term Canary was used for a Vivid or deep yellow color.

I think it would probably be best to buy the stone loose with a GIA lab report and then have it mounted. A D color diamond is rare. But colored diamonds are even more rare. The more intense the color, the more rare and valuable is the diamond. For every natural color diamond, there are 10,000 colorless ones.

The physcial conditions necessary to color a diamond naturally occur very scarcely making natural color diamonds extremely rare.

We sell quite a few every year. :) If you need any help in locating one, you can contact me at our e-mail if you click on the link below my name.

Edited by jan

Thanks Much!! :rolleyes:

Hi New2diamonds!

Let's go over your questions one by one

1) The term "Canary" does not have a specific gemological definition. Many people use the term to describe any yellow diamond, while others use it only to describe a really deep yellopw diamond

2) My opinon is that it's far better to buy both diamond and setting from the same seller, if possible.

For one thing, natural yellow diamonds need special consideration when setting and designing rings- Most places have little experience with Natural Yellows. Also if you bought a diamond from one place, and a setting from another, you'd have to trust two different companies- and what if you don;t like the resultting ring?

3) D is the costliest colorless grade. If a given diamond in D color was $10, a diamond of the same weight, cut and clarity would be about $4 in a J color.

If we move down the scale to U-V color ( a few grades lighter than Fancy Light Yellow), the same hyperthetical diamond would be about $2.50.

Move up the scale to Fancy Light Yellow, and we're back up to about $4. Move all the way up to intense yellow, and we're about on par with the D- say $10. If we found a really nice Vivid Yellow, it could easily be twice the price of the D.

So, yes, D is more costly than some yellow grades- but less so than others.

Below is a photo of a ring featuring a diamond GIA graded U-V Light Yellow

27693f.JPG

4) If you have not checked out our site, which has a tremendous selection about yellow diamonds, please do

http://diamondsbylauren.com

Also we have a page specifically about Yellow diamond grading

http://diamondsbylauren.com/DBL_Yellow_diamond_grading.shtml

Hope this helps!