Blue Nile Signature Ideal

tmsturn4

I am looking at two diamonds, each stone has GIA cert with Ex cut, polish, symmetry, E color. One is "Blue Nile Signature Ideal" and VS2 the other is Ideal and VVS2 (both GIA certs are "excellent" cut.)

Question:

Is the premium they charge for their "signature ideal cut" worth giving up 2 clarity grades? For the same money should I go with Signature Ideal and VS2 or Ideal and VVS2???

The salient question you should be asking Blue Nile is this:

With both these diamonds having virtually identical specs and the same Cut Grade, what differentiates one from the other so that one diamond is labeled "Signature Ideal" and the second diamond is labeled just "Ideal"?

What qualitative or quantitative test or assessment tool are they using to separate the two so that one diamond is more expensive?

The salient question you should be asking Blue Nile is this:

With both these diamonds having virtually identical specs and the same Cut Grade, what differentiates one from the other so that one diamond is labeled "Signature Ideal" and the second diamond is labeled just "Ideal"?

What qualitative or quantitative test or assessment tool are they using to separate the two so that one diamond is more expensive?

I believe the "Signature Ideal" is their brand that they buy/stock, while the other "Ideal" is calculated "ideal" from a vendor they drop ship from. So I suppose one could argue Blue Nile has "verified" the first to be the best ideal, while the second is their best estimate based on metrics provided from their drop-shipper.

You can even see on the Blue Nile website, that the Signature Ideal (not just rounds, but also princess, emerald, and asscher shapes) are all laser-inscribed with their logo and accompanied by a GCAL certificate. So I assume therefore that they are infact owned by BlueNile while the others are not.

In Blue Nile language, ‘Ideal’ means one of 3 things. Either GIA has graded it ‘excellent’or AGSL has graded it ‘ideal, either under the old or new system.

‘Signature-Ideal’ means that they own it and that it has passed the standards of their own captive graders, whatever those standards happen to be at the time. Any round stone that meets the above definition seems to be eligible and possibly others as well. They also give this same grade to other shapes that meet a set of standards that they don’t publish. It’s sort of like a car dealer grading a used car as a ‘creampuff’. It may be true, but what have you really learned from this description?

Unfortunately, this means that BN-Ideal is less useful information than if you simply look at the original lab report yourself. There is nothing gained by describing a GIA-excellent as ideal and it adds confusing because there are other choices (AGS0 and pre-2005 AGS0). BN-Signature includes the above plus whatever else GCAL wants to add to it.

It’s worth noting that lots of jewelers do this sort of thing and many are far more egregious about it. They use terms like ‘ideal’, and ‘premium’ to mean all manner of things that can both be very different from what you are expecting and from what their competitors mean by those terms.

Neil

In addition to Neil's excellent answer above, I'd like to add this: If blue Nile owns a diamond, that still does not mean the diamond is in their possession... likely it is not.

What this means, is that you would need to be buying blind. Even the seller does not know what the diamond they're selling looks like