Neubie Looking For Some Advice On 2 Stones

aceshye

Hi,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post after some lurking. I have found the site to be quite informative. I am in line to buy my main stone for my girlfriends engagement ring and i have two that interest me. i would like to get some advice on which would be the best value. Here are the two stones stats:

1st stone: Round Brilliant

.81 ct, G, VS2, $3850.00

5.94 x 5.98 x 3.69

Table % 56.17

Depth % 61.98

Crown angle 34.49

Pavillion angle 40.77

Culet None

No floresence

Hearts and Arrows cut with ex. across the board. Gia cert.

HCA score 1.1

2nd stone:Round brilliant

.92 ct, G, SI1, $4500.00

6.28 x 6.21 x 3.85

Table % 55

Depth % 61.6

Crown angle 35

Pavillion angle 40.6

Culet None

Slight Blue Floresence

Ideal cut with Ex. across the board, Gia cert.

HCA score 0.8

There is a small feather located along the girdle right behind the GIA laser inscription so that looks like it will be very un noticable and it is eye clean per the cutter.

I would love to get the larger stone but not sure if if not being a "H&A" cut would bother me. With all things being equal is the lower clarity rating worth the extra money for a stone .11 larger? The 4500.00 is pretty much at the top of my spending limit.

Thanks,

Greg

I would love to get the larger stone but not sure if if not being a "H&A" cut would bother me.

This actually strikes me as the heart of the issue. Failure to bother you isn't the result you're looking for, it's supposed to blow your socks off. I suspect both stones are going to be lovely and if you saw them together the only way you could tell them apart without magnification is because one is a little bigger than the other. Have you seen them?

If the H&A is a big deal for you, consider your source of this information. GIA doesn't use this term and doesn't grade the hearts. Who did? Not everybody uses it the same way and especially if these are coming from two different dealers you may find a considerable difference about what they consider to be a H&A.

It's also worth noting ideal isn't a GIA grade. Someone else assigned that to the second stone. Who? What was their criteria?

Neil

I would love to get the larger stone but not sure if if not being a "H&A" cut would bother me.

This actually strikes me as the heart of the issue. Failure to bother you isn't the result your looking for, it's supposed to blow your socks off. I suspect both stones are going to be lovely and if you saw them together the only way you could tell them apart without magnification is because one is a little bigger than the other.

If the H&A is a big deal for you, consider your source of this information. GIA doesn't use this term and doesn't grade the hearts. Who did? Not everybody uses it the same way and especially if these are coming from two different dealers you may find a considerable difference about what they consider to be a H&A.

It's also worth noting ideal isn't a GIA grade. Someone else assigned that to the second stone. Who? What was their criteria?

Neil

Neil, Thanks for replying, and sorry for the bad info, I just called the cut ideal on the second stone, my fault in that regards. The frist stone comes from GOG so they do call it a hearts and arrow cut. The second stone comes from Abazias. I suspect that any stone cut to very extreme precision will have an H&A pattern but maybe not to the full extent as a stone being promoted as an H&A.

Greg

Greg,

The people from GOG are pretty specific about what they mean by it when they use the term H&A and it’s fairly rigorous. You’re correct that most GIA-excellent’s have at least some semblance of the patterning and some do it pretty darned well even if it’s not being marketed. Others don’t. Without looking at the stone with the right tool and with a practiced eye, there’s just no way to tell. This goes back to that key question. Is it important to you?

Neil