Newbie...need Advice On A Rock

gator3109

Ok....I am new to the whole diamond thing. I have been educating myself for several weeks now and stumbled on to this site. I was looking for an oval on all the main online sites and came across this one on Adiamor, but the GIA report doesnt have a "cut" grading.

Here is what I can gather from the GIA report I printed out:

Oval Brilliant

9.84 x 6.39 x 4.28

1.72 ct

G

Si1

Polish: VG

Sym: VG

Flou: Medium Blue

Depth: 67

Table: 57

Girdle: think - thick

L to W: 1.54

$9,986.00 and its listed as a "very good" cut grade.

What scares me is the Depth. Is the Depth % the same as Crown Height %?

I use http://www.gemappraisers.com/GradeForm.asp to grade the diamond and it comes out, if I did it correctly, as a 4A (below average) diamond.

As you can see, I have a limit of $10,000 and I'm trying to find the biggest diamond (haven't decided whether I go oval or round) without sacrificing too much quality (F-H color / VS2 - Si1 clarity / I do want a very good cut though). I think that puts me in the 1.5 Ct ballpark (maybe slightly smaller for round and slightly larger for oval)

What do you guys think? Not a good deal? I am not a b&m fan and like the online aspect of buying a diamond as I have much more to choose from as well as the cost savings (cheaper + no sales tax). Where do most people around here find the best diamonds for the best value? (I've mostly looked at bluenile and adiamor and Mondera)

Sorry for the amount of questions, but this is such a big purchase for me and I am still a newbie and I am trying my best to learn quickly.

TIA

Jason

Edited by gator3109

Here is another one that I like with a "premium cut" but still comes out as a 4A diamond. I wish these GIA reports were cut graded as well. Am I doing something wrong?

* EDIT: I guess the Crown Height % is different than the Depth %. Question now is how do I find out the crown height % if its not listed on the GIA report?

Oval Brilliant

8.73 x 6.66 x 4.24

1.65 ct

G

Si1

Polish: VG

Sym: VG

Flou: None

Depth: 63.7

Table: 55

Girdle: slightly thick to very thick

L to W: 1.31

$9,801.00 and its listed as a "premium" cut grade.

As always, thanks in advance!

Edited by gator3109

Cutting with fancies is a tough thing to pin down and it’s effectively impossible from the charts of data. I find the chart in your link to be nearly useless for what you’re trying to do. You have to look at a particular stone and, if you’re buying online from a dealer who is far away it’s hard to do this. The next best thing is to have your dealer look at the stone on your behalf. Surprisingly, this is often difficult as well. Most Internet dealers, and all 3 of the ones you mentioned, primarily sell ‘virtual’ stones, which means that they don’t actually have them and they quite possibly can’t tell you more about them than they already have. They may not even be able to produce a photo, much less a Sarin, ASET image, BrillianceScope report or anything else to help you decide.

There are a few solutions to this. First, find a dealer who stocks merchandise like you want. Call them up or email them, give them your specs and see what they have to offer. “I’m looking for an awesome oval for under $10k. Eye clean, face up white and BIG would be great. What have you got in stock?†is a nice open ended question that should raise some interest.

Failing that, there are several dealers who will order in from the virtual inventory and inspect the stone on your behalf using their expertise and equipment. There may or may not be a fee for this and it's likely to depend on whether you end up buying something from them.

Lastly, you can buy it and have it inspected by our own expert to see if it meets your requirements. If not, send it back and get another one. If you choose the dealer right from the paragraphs above, your chances of this going well are pretty high. If you go with a random dealer who will quote a low price on a stone that they’ve never seen, it’s sort of a hit or miss proposition (but the prices are usually attractive).

If you go to the top of the page titled 'find online jeweler' and play around a bit you'll find more than a dozen competitors to the folks you mentioned. There are also several jewelers who are regular contributors to the forum. You can recognize them by the rectangular block below their name that says 'verified jeweler' and the link to their own websites at the foot of each post.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

AS Neil mentioned, the three vendors you mentioned don't actually have the diamonds on hand, so they can't let you know what they look like.

I love an organic oval, with gently sloping sides, and a graceful arch at each end.

Neither of the two I posted is exactly the shape I'm talking about...

PS- we also diamonds included in the db of diamonds on this site.....

Edited by diamondsbylauren

I think the key is to don’t just buy online, buy from a jeweler online instead of some database shuffling company. ‘Online’ is not some giant entity that you buy from. It provides a way for people to advertise and for you to communicate with them but it’s a mistake to perceive ‘online’ as a unified entity. It’s like thinking that buying from a store with a phone is the same as buying from the phone company.

I absolutely agree that choosing your jeweler wisely is the first, and sometimes one of the more difficult steps in buying a diamond ring and, frankly, it surprises me how often people skip over this because they think it’s a commodity that’s all spelled out on the lab reports and Google makes it seem so easy. All of the things that apply to choosing an online jeweler also apply to deciding to go with one down the block so, unfortunately, this doesn't really make the decision any easier, just a bit more familiar for most. You have to shop smart. If you’ve got a good jeweler nearby, by all means pay them a visit and consider giving them your business. A good jeweler helps a lot, but there’s lots of top shelf jewelers out there who just happen to be located in someone else’s neighborhood and who are using the Internet to reach beyond their local market. Why limit your choices to stores that happen to be within an easy driving distance? Choose your jeweler first, then choose the diamond rather than the other way around and you’ll find this process far simpler.

There was a discussion about this in the FAQ's here that might be helpful.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Online is a great place to get a great price on a diamond, but you need to work with a trusted vendor that actually can see the diamond and evaluate it for you. On ovals you want to get an overall brilliance and avoid a bow tie appearance in the center of the diamond. Unfortunately, looking at a couple of numbers on a piece of paper won't tell you great the diamond will actually appear and how well it was faceted. Here is a beautiful example of a great looking oval diamond with half moon sides.post-10-1207763007_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

Online is a great place to get a great price on a diamond, but you need to work with a trusted vendor that actually can see the diamond and evaluate it for you. On ovals you want to get an overall brilliance and avoid a bow tie appearance in the center of the diamond. Unfortunately, looking at a couple of numbers on a piece of paper won't tell you great the diamond will actually appear and how well it was faceted. Here is a beautiful example of a great looking oval diamond with half moon sides.post-10-1207763007_thumb.jpg

I def love the look. Now, I've been trying to find out how to get a nice ring without going over my budget. I've been searching for a nice setting with the half moons but havent found the right one yet.

I have the Diamond Source of Virginia (http://www.diamondsourceva.com) giving me a quote as they have done many ovals with half moons. I'll see what they say.

I have seen some half moon settings on Good Old Gold but don't know the price. Because I am on a budget, I have to see what the settings/side moons will cost me and then see what size center oval I can afford.

Slowly but surely I am getting there....Thanks everyone!

Jan, where did you get that picture of that ring?