Please Help A Newbie Out

ruomega

Hello,

I've been searching throught this forum and trying to educate myself on the how to pick the best diamond for my soon to be fiance'. The two options i'm considering are a loose diamond from Union or purchasing a ring from Costco. The loose diamond i would have to find a setting for and the one my girlfriend likes is a diamond bezel. This is why i'm considering the Costco ring (unfortunately, she fell in love with one before and now it's long gone. I still have to find a similar one that is in my price range). I have found a loose diamond at Union that i think is of a decent quality based on what i have learned here (i know that i won't know until i look at it in person), but i can't seem to find a setting similar to the style of the Costco ring. First, would anyone mind giving me an opinion of the Union diamond i'm considering? It's link:

http://www.diamonds.net/UF/27151/Certs/15573530.jpg

Second, does anyone know where i can find a setting similar to the one in this picture?

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/P...ge/979506LL.jpg

If i can find the ring she wants at Costco then i consider that but i have to look around. Thanks for the help.

You might try contacting the Costco special order people. They may have one in stock at a different warehouse or may be able to order one in directly from the manufacturer for you. Ask for the phone number at the customer service counter. I have no idea if they will sell you a ring without the center diamond and let you use the one you found elsewhere but I kind of doubt it. They have an 800# that you can call with questions about expensive jewelry items and the people there seem to be reasonably well informed about what they can and cannot do (unlike the warehouse staff). It doesn't hurt to ask. With bezel settings and fancy cuts it's harder than you might think to get them to fit together properly and it's really helpful to have a real jeweler involved in the selection process. You are usually far better off buying both the diamond and the setting from the same source if you can arrange it.

Neil

You are usually far better off buying both the diamond and the setting from the same source if you can arrange it.

Neil

I agree. I have plenty of nice princess cuts and we can make that setting complete with the center diamond too. :rolleyes: