Is This A Good Deal ?

ebugsbunny

There’s not really much to say.

The price seems in line with competitive offers and you can check yourself using the ‘find online jeweler’ button at the top of the page. Even if you have no intention of buying online this can be a useful pricing tool for looking at offers from some very competitive folks.

‘Very Good’ cut in GIA lingo means that they weren’t impressed but without doing a bit of work and without looking at the stone there’s no way to tell WHY they weren’t impressed. Playing with their proportions system using the numbers in the diagram at the bottom right of your report may give you some clues. In the end, there’s not much I could say about it without seeing the stone.

www.facetware.gia.edu

Have you seen it? Do you love it?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

GIA, when they saw it, didn’t like it. That’s why they gave it ‘very good’ as a cut grade. That’s sort of like getting a C+ in school. It’s passing, and it may just be that the teacher doesn’t like you, but few people would count it as acing the course. The proportions look ok to me so it may just be because of the ‘good’ polish but there may also be something else going on. I couldn’t tell you much without looking at it. They give VG to some lovely stones but also give it to some dogs.

Neil

GIA, when they saw it, didn’t like it. That’s why they gave it ‘very good’ as a cut grade. That’s sort of like getting a C+ in school. It’s passing, and it may just be that the teacher doesn’t like you, but few people would count it as acing the course. The proportions look ok to me so it may just be because of the ‘good’ polish but there may also be something else going on. I couldn’t tell you much without looking at it. They give VG to some lovely stones but also give it to some dogs.

Neil

Hi Neil, Ideal and premium cut, which one better may I ask ?

That’s a tricky question.

GIA doesn’t use either term so I would have to say the answer in your situation is neither one. AGS uses the term ‘ideal’ to describe their top grade and I rather like AGS ideals but there are lots of other grading scales where people use that term far less precisely so this word alone doesn't tell me much. Even AGS used it quite differently before 2005 so you have to watch out for the term AGS0 or AGS-ideal because it can mean some very different things depending on who is using it, when they said it and what scale they are using. I see lots of dealers who use the term ‘premium’ to describe various things and I’ve never found it to be useful at all. It’s sort of like calling a car a ‘creampuff’. It's not such a bad things, it's just not very helpful.

Neil

"Of exceptional quality or greater value than others of its kind; superior: a wine made of premium grapes." In the case of diamonds "premium" is very generic dealer lingo that could mean just about anything. You may even pay a "premium" just because somone thought it was. :lol:

In the case of cut stick with the lab terms used on the reports from GIA or AGS.