How Much

anon101

I really like the Tiffany's setting linked to here...http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?sku=19475247.

Obviously I'm not asking how much a 4.83 Tiffany's diamond would cost, nor how much it would cost to get this from Tiffany's or exactly as listed (102 hand-set round diamonds!?!?). But, how much would it cost to set a round diamond in a setting that carried out this basic concept (i.e. I'm asking only about the setting, as I already have the center stone)?

Thanks. I truly appreciate all the insight!

Nice piece.

You've got a lot of made up information here. Not the least of which is the size and shape of the center stones, the sizes, weights and count of the other stones, the type and amount of metal and the designer. The only way to get the look you want is to have it custom manufactured to fit your exact stone and different jewelers value their skills differently. Materials cost pretty much everybody the same but labor costs vary dramatically. The cheapest are rarely the best and visa versa. There are several regular posters here who are in the custom design business and most major jewelery stores would be happy to talk to you about it. This is a moderately difficult job to do well and you should ask the store to show you samples of their work before you contract them to do this. Not everyone who calls themselves a jeweler can do it and the difference in results between 1st class work and a 2nd rate job are considerable.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Thanks for the information. Any thoughts on how much the diamonds would cost for something like this (roughly speaking) -- noting that you indicated that material costs are pretty standard? And, with quality labor, more than $3000-$4000 total (Edit: platinum)?

Thanks, again.

Edited by anon101

It depends on the store. Their costs are pretty standard but the markup they charge will vary. You can get pretty nice side stones like that for something like $1000/ct. at most places. A little less at the discount places, a little more at the high end spots. It’s hard to guess how many are required without knowing more about the piece and the details of the design but I’ll guess 2-3 carats would cover it pretty well. Platinum will run you about $150/gram these days and that’ll need 10-20 grams depending on how you do it. The rest is going to be labor. That piece is going to be quite a bit of work. If I were still doing that sort of thing, I would charge you a couple or three thousand dollars to build it.

Neil