Princess Cut Diamond - Advice Please

HawkEyeDiamond

Your help, advice and expertise are greatly appreciated on the below Princess Cut Diamond up for consideration. Also is it common for a GIA and SARIN carat weight to differ? Thanks to all those who can respond!

GIA Diamond Grading Report:

Shape and Cutting Style: Square Modified Brilliant

Measurements: 5.91x5.65x4.19 mm

Carat Weight: 1.16 carat

Color Grade: D

Clarity Grade: VS2

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: Medium Blue

Comments: Clouds are not shown.

Key to Symbols: Crystal, Pinpoint

Approximate Price: $4500.00

SARIN Report:

Shape: Princess

Weight: 1.140

Width: 5.58 mm

Length: 5.89 mm L/W Ratio: 1.06

Total Depth: 4.17 mm 74.7%

Pavilion Depth: 6.40 mm 60.9%

Pavilion Angle: N/A

Crown Height: 0.57 mm 10.2%

Crown Angle: 29.8

Table Size: 4.07 mm 73%

Girdle Thickness: 0.27 mm 4.8 %

Culet Off Center: 0.3 (W:0.6%, L:0.6%)

Table Off Center: 0.06 mm

post-115153-1205900502_thumb.jpg

post-115153-1205906677_thumb.jpg

post-115153-1205906702_thumb.jpg

Edited by HawkEyeDiamond

It's the most discounted stone in that size, color and clarity. Why? The table is slightly large, the stone is off square, and has a thick to very thick girdle area, and it has medium blue fluorescence for a D color which will make it cost less.

Are there others with a better make? I think so. Will they cost more. Yes.

So if you just want a low price, you found the lowest price stone.

If you want to know how much the stone is going to sparkle, the red and red and green photos and diffused lighting pictures won't tell you.

You can learn more about the sparkle factor if you go to:

gemex.com

Edited by jan

The ‘weight’ on the Sarin report is calculated using the dimensions and the known density of diamonds. These dimensions are in turn subject to the margin of error and the calibration of the equipment. You’ll notice that all 3 measurements vary slightly for this reason. GIA uses Sarin equipment to measure the dimensions as well but it’s a different setup and that 3rd decimal place is often slightly different on different machines. GIA measures weight using a scale, a far more direct and sensible approach. Believe GIA.

I actually find the colored ASET images to be very useful in evaluating stones but I agree with Jan that this one is not likely to be a stunner.

You’re paying a premium for the D color and then compromising on cutting, presumably to keep the price down. This is a bit of an unusual path to take. May I ask what led you to this particular stone?

Neil

The ‘weight’ on the Sarin report is calculated using the dimensions and the known density of diamonds. These dimensions are in turn subject to the margin of error and the calibration of the equipment. You’ll notice that all 3 measurements vary slightly for this reason. GIA uses Sarin equipment to measure the dimensions as well but it’s a different setup and that 3rd decimal place is often slightly different on different machines. GIA measures weight using a scale, a far more direct and sensible approach. Believe GIA.

I actually find the colored ASET images to be very useful in evaluating stones but I agree with Jan that this one is not likely to be a stunner.

You’re paying a premium for the D color and then compromising on cutting, presumably to keep the price down. This is a bit of an unusual path to take. May I ask what led you to this particular stone?

Neil

Hi Neil. Thanks for the response. To answer your question...after searching many times online and in person for a Princess Cut diamond in the 1.08 1.28 ct range, comparing specs (min. F color, min. VS-02 clarity, 1.08 ct min, min Very Good Cut, and Fluorescence of no more than MB), reading and reviewing this Princess seemed to stand out as a possible "diamond in the rough" and maybe worth considering. Thus not being any where near an expert I was looking for honest advice.

Jim

min Very Good Cut

Jim

Jim,

This is the tricky one. Assuming you're not going for an AGS princess, you are relying on the dealer to assign a cut grade. There simply is not an agreed upon standard about this. For weight, color and clarity you are relying on GIA but they don't to cut grading on princess cuts. This is coming from the dealer. This cut issue makes the key as much a matter of choosing the dealer as it is a matter of choosing the stone. Presumably they’ve told you that they describe it as ‘Very Good’. Ask what they mean by that and what they are comparing it too. They’ve got the stone and the data, we don’t. As much as I like the ASET system, there is a great deal of difference in the way people take these pictures that leaves huge room for error when examining a picture in isolation that was taken by someone else under unknown conditions. If you don’t trust your dealer, take a walk and find another one. It’s a very competitive business. At the end, if you’re still nervous, hire your own expert to check and verify that you’ve been told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Neil